“A bowl of awesome!”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
“A bowl of awesome!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is a great place to go for healthy food for every meal! I love their international menu, and having food that is nutritious and locally sourced is a major plus.

We stopped here for dinner while passing through Harrisonburg on a road trip. It was highly recommended to us by our friends at JMU, and for good reason.

Even though the place closed at 8:30 and we arrived at 8:15, the two girls working there were super friendly and patient, telling us all about the menu options and giving great recommendations.

I opted for the Maharaja bowl with curried lentils and brown rice topped with mango chutney and organic yogurt - delicious! I was also able to try bites of the Bowl de la Milpa with black beans, rice, salsa, sour cream, and avacado, as well as the Tom Kha Gai bowl, which was a very tasty Thai style coconut-based chicken soup.

The soup of the day was Cincinnati Chili, and since one of our group was actually from Cincinnati, we had to try it. I had never had this type of chili before, but I loved the combo of spicy peppers and the hint of chocolate and cinnamon. Our Cincinnati native said it could have used more cinnamon, but I loved it.

The bread served on the side was also great, especially their home made 9-grain.

If I am ever passing through town, I will be sure to visit this cafe again - I'm dying to try just about everything else on the menu.

• Visited March 2014

Norfolk, Va
“Great locally-sourced nutritious lunch”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This place is quite unique. You can get a "Bowl of Good" in many varieties. If you're vegan - they've got it. If you want meat - bring it on. Hot bowls or cold bowls. Salads. Even breakfast. You will find something tasty here. Friendly staff. Moderate prices.

Visited March 2014
Wilmington, Delaware
“So so”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I don't know why others are excited about this place. I ordered the $8 African bowl and essentially got a very few shreds of chicken, white beans and rice, and a scoop of sour cream. Little flavor, so I used quite a bit of hot sauce. Tables are uncomfortably close. I left hungry.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Some of the best & healthiest food in town!!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This cute little place offers international selections, to give you the flair of faraway lands. BUT, the food is not only delicious, its also HEALTHY!!! One of my favorite places to eat!!!!

• Visited July 2013
Smithfield, Virginia
“Great food, attentive owner”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

While touring Harrisonburg, Virginia my husband and I decided to try this gem of a place. We went there during the lunch rush and ordered at the counter. The line was long but moved very fast as the staff was prepared. We ordered the spaghetti and meatballs that came with a fresh slice of wheat bread. The favor of the sauce was great! We met in line the owner's husband that had brought a friend to the restaurant. He suggested several dishes and was very jolly and friendly. We left our name so they could call us up when our food was ready. We found a table and waited just a short time for our food. However, the owner's husband was very attentive and came to our table from his and asked what we had ordered and when up to check on it. He personally brought it to our table and asked if we would like extra or a dessert on the house as he felt we had waited too long. We were tired and hungry and were very impressed by his attention to good customer service. I also noticed that he cleared the dirty dish dispense area on a regular basis and he even took our dishes away. The place was packed and everyone's food looked as good as ours. We did not have to wait long for such a busy place as our food was coming up when he went up to the counter but the personal touch was appreciated. I would go back to this place in a heart beat! Good food, good service and a kind and attentive owner and family. This business is a success in my book!!!

• Visited February 2014