“High expectations, terrible results”
Review of Union Station

Union Station
Ranked #14 of 260 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“High expectations, terrible results”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Union Station was recommended to us by our hotel, when we were in town for JMU's Homecoming Weekend earlier this month. I was optimistic after reading the menu and seeing that it was not a chain restaurant. The atmosphere sounded great and it seemed like a good spot for my family (4 of us, including our 7 and 4 year old).

The whole dining experience was a bust. We were greeted with luke warm enthusiasm and shown to our table. We did not have to wait at all but we arrived a few minutes before 5:00. Soon after I'm sure there was a wait as the small waiting area was full when we left. The food was average at best (wait, I must give credit to my cheeseburger which was cooked a perfect medium well and very juicy. But that was the only thing that was good. Oh, and the glass of Pinot Noir that I had was awesome). But anyway, I hate to say that what made it SO bad was the service. Anyone teaching a basic course in customer service can tell you that most food oversights can be compensated by fabulous customer service. They do not teach that here!

We have a big pet peeve and that is when french fries are not listed as seasoned, but are served seasoned. Just write it on the menu! So, my kids ordered the fries. They got seasoned fries. They don't eat seasoned fries. If they were listed as seasoned ahead of time, I wouldn't complain and it would be no big deal. I'd either order them without seasoning or not order them at all. No big deal! But don't serve something to me that's not listed on the menu! Right?! So the fries thing turned out to be the biggest problem on the planet. The food runner "had to check" if she could give us unseasoned fries. After waiting for her answer (she said yes), we then waited seriously 15 minutes for more fries! Again, no biggy WITH THE PROPER CUSTOMER SERVICE! The service was a grade D, maybe a D-.

I read the reviews before we came and they seemed very mixed. So, sure, give this place a try. You might think I'm crazy and give it an excellent rating. But if you have a meal like we did, you'll totally understand where I was coming from. We had high hopes and this place totally fell short.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank S B

“Underwhelming”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've been here several times in the last couple years - usually because someone I am with wants to go there; if I had my druthers I wouldn't eat here. The food is okay, the atmosphere is okay. Just isn't worth the $ to me. I ordered a capricci salad sandwich and they used dried basil from a jar. Since that visit I have continued to wonder why people come here to eat. I hear they have a great happy hour and maybe I should check that out. For dinner however, there are much better choices in town. Service is typically slow and less than knowledgeable (did not know some basics about drinks or menu items).

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank S_travels4fun
harrisonburg, va
“The best happy hour”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The normal restaurant side is nice, but nothing exceptional. The food is above average, with good rotating specials, I expected a little more out the decor. The bar bites menu from 5-7 and 7-9 is the best in town. Great food specials with the purchase of a drink.

Visited October 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Skip this restaurant”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I've been here before over the years, but after our recent visit will not go back again. Food varied from mediocre to awful. I had what was listed as a Roma tomato, spinach, and olives fettuccine in olive oil. Worse pasta I ever had. Who uses black olives in a pasta dish instead of kalamata? Also way too loaded with cheese and no flavor. Wife had po'boy which was okay but again no spice or favor. Another person had pasta country carbonara again with no flavor. Only dish that was okay was smoked pork loin.

2 Thank mdrose310
New York
“just average, or a little below average”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

They don't take reservations, but the manager advised that since Monday nights are not busy they can have a table ready for us (isn't that a RSVP?). When we arrived a overwhelmed hostess told us that the manager left for the night and as we were told they did not take rsvp & since they had more people than they expected, they did not hold a table for us. She was not nice. Meanwhile, we saw a table held in the back. and it was for us. When we pointed the table out. She argued and repeated the same thing. Finally, the night manager came over & helped get us set up. The hostess disappeared before we could say anything to her. The food is average. Nothing really special. DO NOT order the crab dip and fried tortilla chips. Barely any crab in the dip, only a chunk of cream cheese. And the fried tortillas were oily and too thick cut. We could not eat it. The fried oyster & shrimp po boy was not bad. The soups are pretty good.

• Visited October 2013