“Great beer menu, skip the food”
Review of Capital Ale House

Capital Ale House
Ranked #22 of 272 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2013

come here to have a pint and then go somewhere else to eat. the food is overpriced and mediocre. the restaurant is frequently out of multiple items on the menu so be aware even if something catches your eye on the menu they may not have it or it might be disappointing. I want to like this place, but there are definitely better options in town.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Everyone loved the food. Wide variety - great happy hour too! Smoked pork, ribs were excellent. Atmosphere was interested - lots of local photos. Make this a place to stop. Reservations accepted for 10 or more.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I was taken here whilst visiting on business. What a great choice so much to try.
I really hope I get to visit here again as there are loads of beers on that menu I would like to try.
Was very impressed with our waitress who had a very good knowledge of the beers and didn't mind talking about them.
We had come here to eat as well, and I enjoyed the prime rib very much.
Would love to know how they keep so many beers in good condition, some of them cannot get drunk that much.
Try the three brothers hoptamization a real flavourful beer from a local brewer.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My roommates and I love walking downtown to Capital Ale, getting a great appetizer, a few drinks late at night. Fair prices, great service/food/atmosphere. Love it here! Highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were a party of 16 who were in Harrisonburg for a wedding and made reservations for dinner at the Ale House while the wedding party was at their rehearsal and dinner elsewhere.
We were seated in a private room on the top floor adjacent to the pool room which worked well for us. However, I had the impression at the restaurant, or staff, were not accustomed to large groups. There was a pocket door between our room and the restaurant room next to us. Because the tables for our party were not set up well, when the rest of the wedding party joined us after dinner for drinks, our crowd (lots of people standing and chatting) was overflowing into the main restaurant room on that floor. Had I been a guest In that room I would not have been pleased by the intrusiveness. It was too late for us to ask the staff to rearrange things more intelligently and, perhaps, close the pocket door.
While the waitresses, Jaime and Liz, worked valiantly to take our orders and deliver our food and drinks, the kitchen staff seemed to be sabatoging them.
1. At least two of us were served cold soup ( I didn't poll the rest of the group).
2. The group ordered several orders of wings for appetizers. The waitress came back to tell us that they were out of wings (at 7pm on a Sat night ?) So we ordered alternate appetizers. When the apps arrived, the waitress was very excited to announce that the kitchen had 'found' some wings for us. But they also sent the alternate apps as well. It is my understanding that they did take off the charge for the extra apps.
3. One guest ordered a Grilled Romaine Salad for her main course.. The romaine was not grilled. It was just a plain salad.
4. Another guest has dietary issues and specifically requested a piece of chicken
,PLAIN, no seasonings. He was sent a chicken sandwich loaded with toppings and sauces. As soon as he called the waitress back she recognized the problem, apologized, and went back to the kitchen. The replacement chicken was not fully cooked.
5. Another guest ordered a brownie Ice cream sundae and received a bowl of chocolate mush with no ice cream.
Because we were on the top floor, all the mistakes meant extra trips up and down to the kitchen for the waitresses.
I felt badly for the waitresses who were working so hard to accommodate us, while bad kitchen staff was making it very difficult for them. I don't know what the problem with the kitchen staff is but I hope management gets on top of it. Our group left agreeing that we won't return. By the end of the night, the group had grown from 16 to 30 so that is unfortunate bad publicity.