“Best Reuben, No question”

Corgans' Publick House
Ranked #3 of 253 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Corgans' Publick House is an Irish pub focused on excellent food and great beer! Join us for Fish n' Chips, Cottage Pie, or a toasted, melty Reuben. We also offer salads, soups, stews, Mac n' Cheese, Burgers, Sunday brunch and more! Corgans' is a great place to bring a date, or the entire family! We have live traditional Irish music during brunch on Sundays from noon to 2pm, open mic night on Tuesdays, and live music on Thursdays and Fridays. Pub Quiz night every Wednesday! Come join us for some Irish cheer!
Shenandoah Valley
“Best Reuben, No question”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The entire menu is delicious but we like a sandwich for lunch. The Reuben is perfect - from the perfectly toasted marble rye to the Russian dressing and shaved pastrami. You gotta go!

Philly
“Good burgers and large dessert”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our family went here in April for an early dinner after skipping lunch. We all ordered burgers. They were all cooked to perfection and served with fries. The restaurant has an Irish theme and the music reflected that. It was nice to go there because I recently returned from a trip to Ireland. My husband had a Guiness and I had an alcoholic grapefruit drink. Both were good. We all split a mammoth dessert which was a lot of ice cream sandwiched between pastry and drenched in hot fudge. We were all stuffed by the end of the meal which totaled about $50. I would recommend this place for a nice casual meal.

• Visited April 2014
“Wonderful group experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I recently ate at Corgan's with a group of coworkers to celebrate my birthday and it was wonderful. None of us had ever been there before and we have all decided since that we can't wait to go back. Our waitress was very nice and familiar with the items on the menu. The atmosphere was great and everyone around us seemed to be enjoying themselves as well. I am already planning a date night with my husband.

• Visited April 2014
Reston, Virginia
“This most certainly is a proper pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

And a damn fine one at that! I don't know how or why Ms. Lesley B. decided she was the arbiter of what constitutes a pub but, God bless her, she couldn't be more wrong about this one. Having actually lived for years in the U.K. and travelled extensivley thoughout the British Isles with the Crowned Heads of Europe, I can tell you there is no one-size-fits-all defintiion of a "pub". There are fancy pubs and dive pubs, locals and tourist pubs, the beautiful Victorian pubs of London, Cork and Belfast as well as pubs where I was unsure i would make it out alive. I loved them all.
Corgan's is an American-friendly version of a proper, but not fancy, public house. I absolutely loved the dividers on the bar (where My Beautiful Wife and I sat for dinner on a busy Saturday night.) Lot's of snugs and nooks that give the whole place a cozy, homey feeling. Super nice staff consisting mostly of comely young ladies with ready smiles. A couple of muted TVs behind the bar showing a soccer match, but no others I could see (and glad of it.) Special mention that the bar is a good bar to eat, which is good because we would have had a long wait for table (they take reservations). You know how some bars don't have enough overhang to get your legs far enough under them and you have to lean way forward to eat over your plate? I hate that. The bar at Corgan's is perfect for eating. Well done, bar designer.
We were there during happy hour (YAY for happy hour specials on a Saturday!) and ended up ordering two appetizers (good deal at $6 each during HH) and one sandwich. We also got a couple imperial pints of the black stuff (no hh discount - Booooo!) and a lovely pinot grigio ($4 hh). I was very happy with the quality and pour of my Guinness and My Beautiful Wife thought the wine was "lovely" and a good value (I failed to ask about the vintner, but will find out on next visit.)
FOOD: Our first app was the "Wee Guinness Bites", which is just an overly precious name for their sliders. There were three, on a brioche-ish style potato roll, with chipotle mayo and melted pepper jack. Improvement Opportunity: Replace the pickle with a piece of crisp bacon. And for the Love of Éire, just call them Guinness Sliders. Despite its clear Lack of Bacon, it was utterly delicious. Full disclosure: We were absolutely starving when we got there. Next up were Battered Bangers, sausages cut into one inch chunks, dipped in batter, and deep fried. My Beautiful Wife nicknamed them "State Fair Bangers". Which would be a good name for a punk rock band. I will opine that the deep frying neither hurt nor helped the sausage and I am generally of the opinion that deep frying (and bacon of course) improves nearly everything. Nevertheless, the bangers are the best I have had this side of the UK. A beautiful subtle flavor that reminded me of bangers from Yorkshire - or perhaps Lincolnshire. i don't know who they get them from, but keep them. They are absolutely brilliant and I am definitely getting the bangers and mash next visit. This would be a great banger for toad in the hole if they ever decide to add that to the menu. Finally, we got a Reuben (just $8! I love eating in the country), which came with homemade potato chips. Served on marbled rye, it had a unique texture, almost as if the corned beef were shredded instead of sliced. It was gooey, melt-in-your-mouth awesome. My Beautiful Wife, not known for hyperbole, declared it the "Best Reuben I've Ever Had" and she is quite the Reuben aficionado.
SERVICE: We sat at the bar. CeCe/C.C. took good care of us and the food came out pretty quick and HOT. It was obvious nothing was sitting under a warmer for more than a few seconds. Good job, Kitchen and server staff.
SUMMARY: My top recommendation for lunch or dinner in Harrisonburg. Great Food at Great Prices.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank TimBerMtn
Florida
“Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

You wouldn't expect to find such a cosmopolitan type apartment building with restaurants on the ground level. Almost past this place by because chain establishments face the main street until their sign caught our eye. Corgan's is a simple but stylish Irish pub with quality food at a reasonable price. I enjoyed the FACS sandwich which was a delightful steak sandwich on a potato roll with garlic mayo, arugula, tomato, onion and balsamic vinaigrette. Tried my friends potato soup which was so thick that we could use it for their house made chips. Staff was friendly and efficient. Will definitely return here on another visit to the valley.

• Visited February 2014