“Best meal in area - especially steaks! ”
Review of Blue Stone Inn

Blue Stone Inn
Ranked #64 of 260 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Price range: US$15 - US$32
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a small dinner-only family-run restaurant, and pride ourselves on great food and friendly service in a casual tavern atmosphere. The Blue Stone Inn dates from the 1920's and has been owned and operated by the same family since 1949.
“Best meal in area - especially steaks! ”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Cozy, rustic and authentic - skip the chains, eat here in instead of Harrisonburg. Simple, well prepared. Great service.

2 Thank OlReliable

Lyndhurst, Virginia, United States
“Best place to eat in Harrisonburg”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We met some friends here tonight. Very good service, nice atmosphere. Yeah sorta dated with all the animal heads, but the food & service are the best around. Dishes we had... Stuffed trout, oysters, mako shark. All very good. The sides were terrific. The desserts were exceptional... Hummingbird cake, lemon berry cake. We stay away from chains and are always excited to find such wonderful local places. We will be back. Keep up the good work!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Deanna J
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Rockfish Crab Imperial was just wonderful”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

It was my birthday, so we splurged - he had fish stuffed with crab and I had fish stuffed with crab imperial. Delicious! I had a dry, crisp Virginia Old Hill hard cider with my meal that complemented perfectly. Very friendly, familial atmosphere, the place decorated for the winter holidays. I'd go back any time.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank ElspethPayne
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Great Expectations.....”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The Blue Stone Inn is located in a small stone structure on the south side of Rt 11 between New Market and Harrisonburg. It has been in business since the 1940's. The atmosphere is very 1950's with deer heads hung all around the room. During the Christmas season they all wear party hats. The menu is heavy on steaks and fish of various sorts with a decent wine list and an OK beer list. Prices are a little steep. Tonight, my husband and I went for a nice dinner date. The service was excellent. The drinks were fine, and the food was erratic. I ordered the rib eye (medium rare), with fried oysters, baked sweet potato, and garden salad with the house vinaigrette. My husband ordered the rib eye (rare) with fried scallops, french fries, and cole slaw. The bread basket arrived with our drinks and consisted of two heat and serve rolls and four hush puppies. We ignored the rolls and tried the hush puppies, which were OK. Not great, but not bad. My salad arrived next. It was a generous portion of mixed greens with some red onion, green pepper, and tomato. It was very fresh, nicely presented, and the house vinaigrette was incredible. It was an auspicious start! Our meals arrived very quickly. My husband's steak was cooked perfectly. The scallops were over cooked, and the fries under cooked. The slaw was soupy but good. My steak arrived well done instead of medium rare. The waitress was very attentive and immediately volunteered to return it to the kitchen and have another cooked. So while I waited for the steak I worked on the rest. The sweet potato was cooked beautifully and served with a cup of brown sugared butter. The oysters were disappointing - just as over done as my husband's scallops. The new steak arrived in a timely fashion and was cooked medium rare, as requested. The portions were quite generous, so we ordered two slices of their signature Hummingbird Cake to go. Three beers, Two starters with sides, and two slices of cake came to $96 after tax and before gratuity. Our waitress was wonderful, and the best part of the dining experience.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank jewelrymaven
bluestoneinn, Owner at Blue Stone Inn, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your dinner was 9/28. I am so sorry the food did not come up to your expectations! Our kitchen staff tries hard to make every dinner a special one, but I can see we fell short of the mark here. It was certainly proper of you to let your server know about your disappointments; no matter how upsetting, any owner or manager of a restaurant wants to truthfully know about the quality of the customer's experience. While I am very glad your server was responsive, and that you received another steak, if had I known of your problems with the seafood, that too would have been addressed (I was in the dining room that night). Seafood is our main emphasis, and we strive to serve a consistently good product. I hope you will give us another try. Sincerely, Janet Olschofka
Fairfax, VA
“A nice way to celebrate a special occasion”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Had a splurge out, food and atmosphere was just what we wanted. I don't get back to H-Burg as much as I'd like but I am looking forward to eating here again.

• Visited October 2012