“Very pleasant stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, MN
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My husband, two-year-old daughter, and I stayed in the Bishop's Retreat suite a couple of weeks ago. It's hard to find a B&B that will accept kids, and this one was perfect - on the phone, the owner recommended this specific suite because it's removed from the rest of the house, so noise doesn't disturb others. The suite was spacious although low-ceilinged and the bathroom and particularly the shower/tub were small. Overall, we were quite comfortable. The staff were all very nice and accommodated our request for an early breakfast. The breakfasts were tasty though perhaps not as large or varied as at other B&Bs we've visited. All said, it's not what I'd call a luxurious B&B, but it was very pleasant and I'd recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Stafford, Va
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I worked occasionally in/around Harrisonburg, Va for many years and would drive by this B&B often. I never stopped but always like the looks of it. Finally my wife and I stayed there some time ago and loved it (I should have entered a review before now...). The place was really special, and the room at the top of the house was really interesting and enjoyable. The staff/owners/family were very friendly and helpful with various suggestions and the food was great. We loved our stay and recommend it to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael A
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at By the Side of the Road's newly opened Water Lily Suite. The suite is very spacious and has all of the amenities you could ask for! The shower is unbelievable with lot of luxurious and modern features, and the bed is super comfy. We enjoyed being able to step out on the balcony to have a glass of wine and take in the view of the large pond. The inn keepers of By the Side of the Road couldn't have been any friendlier, and Anna makes one very tasty breakfast. I really enjoyed my interaction with them leading up to, and during, our stay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brendan D
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My husband and I absolutely loved this B&B. The innkeepers have left no detail out. There are ironing boards, irons, blow driers, sound machines, fans, mini-fridges, iPod docks & TV/DVRs in the rooms. The bed linens are fabulous. The fireplace was wonderful. The food was excellent. There are views of the mountains and a lovely pond. The innkeepers were wonderful and friendly. The house is absolutely gorgeous. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda F
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This is where my husband surprised me as our stay after our wedding before returning back home (our week honeymoon was delayed). We stayed two nights in one of the cottages, and could not have loved the accommodations more. Breakfast was served at our door without disturbance, inside a picnic basket. The first morning was savory, with a sort of quiche; the second, sweet, with orange pancakes (delightful!). The bed was plush, the tub clean and so relaxing. Unfortunately, since we were in the summer months, we couldn't turn on the fireplace at the center of the cottage, though, I'm sure that would be an amazing plus this time of year. The inn is also close enough to Harrisonburg's downtown for good eats like Union Station (romantic), Clementine (hip and intimate), and Jack Brown's (local bar and amazing burgers). The cottage also had movies to watch and a mini-fridge for our dinner leftovers. Upon our arrival, soothing music played and we were served a carafe of dark, chocolatey wine. It's was VERY relaxing!

Room Tip: I definitely prefer the cottage for privacy!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clairina2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

This is where you come to find your perfect Zen.The Innkeepers have provided everything you need and tucked it into a cottage so welcoming and beautiful.I stayed in the Quill cottage.Three miraculous days of peace and reflection.After you've slept in that heaven cloud of a bed,immersed yourself in that unrivaled whirlpool tub and certainly after Mrs.Fitzgerald's breakfasts you know you have found a true gem.Anna gave me the main house tour and is also a wealth of knowledge when it comes to navigating all around the valley.And you always get a cheery smile and hearty "Good Morning"from Dennis as he delivered that amazing breakfast.I'm booking a longer stay next time.Checking my calendar for a return date right now!

• Stayed October 2012
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The Side of the Road is a wonderful B&B. The rooms are large and beautiful. Lots of amenities. The location of the B&B is in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, close to Civil War sights, interesting caverns, quaint country towns, Skyline Drive, and other restfull and rejuvenating places, although you will have to drive to see the sights. The inkeepers are very nice.

The one thing my wife and I wondered about was the fact that the inn delivered the morning breakfast to your door, rather than serve it in a main room of the house. This is different than most B&B's and made us wonder if it would work. While the delivered breakfast arrived a little earlier than we would have prefered, it was good, and worked much better than we expected. In fact, we kinda liked not having to be fully prepared to leave our room and get breakfast -- we could simply eat together in a more informal manner.

All-in-all, a good place to go if you are looking for a fun and relaxing weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple