“Best of 3 hotels in a one week span!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisonburg
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Upstate NY
“Best of 3 hotels in a one week span!”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

After staying in a couple other hotels for a trip (first with kids), we had a good idea of what we were looking for and needed in a hotel. This one fit the bill perfectly! Rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. The mini fridge was larger than all the others and a PERFECT size! We were all able to keep our drinks for the road cold overnight so the ice didn't melt as fast on the road! The TV was still an older CRT instead of a flat screen but was of adequate size to view from both beds. The pool was heated, but still a little chilly at 80. The hot tub was a perfect 100 but needs real seats with many more jets. The continental breakfast was amazing! Eggs, toast, ham chunks, potatoes, Kellogs boxed cereal and of course the standard waffle maker, beagles and muffins. The coffee was the best I had for an entire week! I love the french vanilla creamer, which they HAD! Our group of 4 adults and 2 kids came to the conclusion that we will stay at Country Inn and Suites from now on. It's a great hotel at a good price!

Room Tip: Make sure the exaust fan works in the bathroom!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed 4 June 2011

As soon as we opened the door, the musty odor hit us. The room looked clean--it just stunk. We went out and bought candles to mask the odor. My daughter brought a friend, and I was embarassed by the accommodations we provided.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We booked this hotel as part of a spontaneous trip down to the Natural Bridge area and it was a good close spot on the way. It had what we were looking for - non-smoking, an inside pool, and breakfast.

I can't really speak to the comfort of the room - I think there was something a bit off about the air conditioning - it would go on for awhile and we'd get chilly, then would go off and we'd get hot, repeat. :) It was pretty hot outside that night, though, so it may have had a hard time compensating. We also didn't sleep as great because of our children kicking and wiggling, so who knows how the beds really were. ;)

The breakfast was okay... it got pretty busy because it was Memorial Day weekend and I think they weren't prepared, so many items were out for awhile. They had typical stuff - make-your-own waffles (tasty!), cereals, donuts, and some hot stuff that didnt look great (potatoes & some crumbly meat, I guess like a hash, and eventually egg patties that I ate to get some protein and wasn't awful). They did have fruit, but it was thawed frozen fruit and just tasteless - we took a bunch because we normally eat a lot of fruit at breakfast, but dumped most of it because we just couldn't eat it. I felt bad to waste food, though!

The pool was nice - seemed clean and we had lots of fun! The hot tub wasn't very hot, so we actually let our children sit on the step for a few minutes while we enjoyed the warmth.

Overall, if the price was right and we needed to stay in the area again, we'd stay here again.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I arrived at 8 pm on Friday, August 28th for an attorney meeting at the nearby community college the next morning. I stayed at this location on a weekend get-away a year ago, and decided to give it another try. This Country Inn is conveniently located across the highway from the on-ramp to I-81 and Cracker Barrel

I enrolled for a Goldpointsplus card at the Roanoke location earlier this year, and asked for a complimentary upgrade--no problem! I received a suite on the 3rd floor. The bed was so comfortable, I stayed in for the rest of the evening surfing the net on my laptop using the FREE wi-fi. Many of the places in Asheville, North Carolina, where I stayed several weeks ago, charge a nightly fee for internet access; I didn't stay at a Country Inn on that trip.

All of the doors in the pool area are rusty--an easily remedied problem. The hot tub was six inches low on water, exposing the jets and creating a sucking sound. I brought it to the attention of the desk attendant, who said he would add water after the pool closed in half an hour.

The only problem encountered in my room was minor--the knob on the bathtub drain pulled-off when I pulled it up to prepare for my shower. I screwed it back on, and it worked just fine. I was happy no to see any traces of mold in the bathroom, which I have seen at all hotels and motels over the past year (the worst is found in the cottages at the Peaks of Otter Lodge.) The air conditioner functioned wonderfully.

The breakfast this morning was great for travel food! I had a fajita with bacon, egg, cheese and salsa--not pre-prepared, but made myself from fresh ingredients. I stayed at a competitor's motel in Burlington, NC several weeks ago, and the breakfast there sucked. I also helped myself to the fresh oatmeal and fresh blueberries. The bold coffee at the coffee kiosk was equally fresh and tasty.

I'll be back!

Room Tip: Enroll in the Goldpointsplus program!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Everything was great (room, breakfast, wifi) except for the pool area. It had mold on the ceiling and the window and door frames were rusted.

• Stayed April 2011
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel while traveling on business and had a 1 pm appointment. I had checked in at 3 am with a cranky desk clerk, but when I asked to check out 45 minutes later than the 12 noon deadline, I was told I would be charged for a second day. I hadn't even been there 10 hours yet! So, I did check out at noon and left in a rush. They then proceeded to charge a second day anyway, even though I stayed in another country inn that night. They said I was in the room when they checked late in the day.. I guess the desk clerk just figured I might not notice. It took a month to get this straightened out. Next trip to this area will stay at a different location.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank VeniceFlyer
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The beds at this hotel are worse than "firm" - they're downright HARD!! Our mattress at home is on the firm side and the bed in this place was really unforgiving! Nothing like the beds at their sister hotel in Hinesville, GA.
When I grabbed the faucet handle in the bathroom sink it came off in my hand! It was late at night so I reported it the next morning. The response was"I'll report it to maintenace." When we returned later that day, the handle had not been fixed. I reported it again to the "new" person at the desk. Response: "I'm sorry. Would you like to move to another room?" I asked if any rooms had newer/softer beds and she said no. So I decided it was not worth the aggravation of moving. So I "fixed" the handle myself using the cap from the hotel pen!!
The rooms are spartan in appearance. Again, nothing like the sister hotel in Georgia. The exercise room smelled terrible! Like it was full of mold!
On the good side, their breakfast spread was nice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple