DH and I took a semi-impromptu road trip to Harrisonburg, VA over the Easter weekend. It’s great when you can get a suite for less than the price of a hotel room. The fact that the property had so many glowing Trip Advisor reviews cinched the deal! We never book a property or pick a restaurant unless we review TA reviews first!
We booked a Queen 1-bedroom suite and that’s what we got. I’m very allergic to dogs and cats but having stayed at a prior pet-friendly hotels without incident, we rolled the dice. It’s possible that we got a room that had never had a pet stay there, but I had no problems with itching during our stay. We did hear dogs parking periodically as we walked down the hall, but had no issues. As an FYI to pet-friendly hotel owners/managers – it would be nice to set aside a few rooms for people who are allergic to pets.
To people unfamiliar with the Candlewood Suites model, they’re set up for independent, long-term travelers. Which means maid service weekly, not daily, and limited front desk hours. Per those limited staff hours – it was a bummer to awake during said limited hours and realize that the Wi-Fi access code had changed Saturday at midnight! Since I was arranging flights and hotel for an unexpected funeral, it was annoying. As an FYI to future Candlewood guests – you might want to inquire about the new code on Saturday night.
As others have mentioned the property abuts train tracks. We arrived on Friday afternoon and heard no trains until Sunday morning. The property also sits across from a Lowes which has bright spotlights at night, but our room which faced the Lowes had heavy drapes that blocked out light quite effectively.
This property was very clean, our suite was spotless and spacious, we loved the free Internet (so many properties charge, which bugs me). We loved the fact that the heating/AC unit was whisper-quiet.
I had this vision of Harrisonburg as a sleepy, quiet town. It has a slower pace, and is a lovely little town, but is packed with lots of restaurants and major retailers (Walmart, Ross, TJ Maxx, Target, Best Buy etc). If you go, don’t forget to stop by Wood Grill restaurant – it is chockfull of great homestyle food and attentive staff, and best of all, prices are reasonable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg Hotel is the ideal choice for business and leisure travelers. Each spacious suite has a fully equipped kitchen complete with a full-size refrigerator/ice maker, microwave, range, and dishwasher. Traveling on business? Bring your laptop and work efficiently at your executive desk. Communication is easy with voice mail, free local calls, free high-speed Internet access, and two separate phone lines. Borrow your favorite movie or music from the hotel library to enjoy in your room from the comfort of your recliner. Hungry? Visit the Candlewood Cupboard, our on-site convenience store, and charge it to your room. Staying fit? Enjoy our 24-hour fitness center. Staying a long time? Take advantage of our on-site complimentary laundry facility. Traveling with pets? We re a pet friendly hotel too. Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg is nearby to many of the area's local businesses: Coors, Merck, RR Donnelly, Walker Manufacturing, SYSCO, Rockingham Memorial Hospital, Tyson Foods, SI International and Cargill. Colleges and Universities nearby are: James Madison University, Bridgewater College, and Eastern Mennonite University. Local attractions: Shenandoah National Park, Massannutten Ski Resort, Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, Skyline Drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia and IHG so you can book your Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg Hotel Harrisonburg
- Harrisonburg Candlewood Suites
- Candlewood Harrisonburg