“The Black Lion Hotel”

The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: High quality home cooked food is at the heart of what we do at The Black Lion, our aim is to provide our customers with high quality food using the best local produce, and our food can be complemented with our real ales and fine wines from around the world.The Black Lion is situated in an official area of "outstanding natural beauty" & only six miles from the coast, so we are close to the some of the most beautiful countryside in Wales as well as the seaside!Our outside seating area sits on the banks on the river Elwy and we are surrounded by stunning countryside, so even if your only stop is at The Black Lion you can still enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery Wales has to offer. John & the team would like to welcome all to The Black Lion & they look forward to making your stay with us both enjoyable & memorable. With our high quality food and accommodation, real ales, fine wines from around the world and our specialty coffees, there will be something for all in our beautiful country pub!
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Lovely relaxed atmosphere...the tables are well spaced out and the atmosphere very relaxed. People were turned away if they had not booked on Sunday lunchtime.Food excellent. An ideal Sunday run into the country and outside seating if the weather's good

Reviewed 15 August 2012

My partner and I visited the Black Lion for our anniversary last Friday evening after it being recommended by a friend. The place obviously seemed popular as it was busy, however, the staff remained attentive and polite throughout our visit. I ordered the deep fried Brie as a starter and my husband ordered the creamy garlic mushrooms, both were delicious, good sized portions (not too much didn't want to ruin the main meal) and had obviously been made with good quality ingredients. ( I'm a chef at a popular and busy hotel/restaurant in Chester so trust me I Know).
For the main meals we both ordered the salmon which was Amazing, fresh and accompanied by a delicious sauce. After reading the last review I disagree with the comment regarding that the vegetables were "old", you could tell they were fresh and them being served in a separate dish made it so you could help yourself to what you wanted.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this restaurant and will be returning as soon as possible.

1  Thank rebekah H
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My partner and I went for a meal in the Black Lion as it had been recommended to us.
On arriving everything seemed ok and the staff were friendly ( which is why i still gave 2 stars).
We ordered 'Fried Brie' to share as a starter. The Brie was nice but obviously bought in. There was ample enough for 2 people.
I ordered the chicken in red wine sauce and my partner the burger as main course.
The chicken was drowned in gravy and felt like eating a soup. To make things worse the gravy actually had a skin and obviously been kept warm under the salamander despite it not being that busy.
The vegetables served with the meal were that old and dry that we couldn't eat them.
I mentioned this when the table was cleared. The waiter was very apologetic and said he would mention this to the chef.
We then proceeded to pay and were told by the supervisor that the vegetables were fresh indeed.
I told him that I cook myself from scratch at home and that my vegetables are not cracked and dried out when I eat them.
He then went from blaming 'the wet weather in the UK' and 'We cook in bulk here' to (and this is the best) 'When you cut them open they are fresh inside'!!!
In the end he settled for 'I am not a chef and only front of house'.
I have been working in restaurants for years and know the difference between an old carrot and a fresh one.
We will not be returning!

1  Thank ElliB284
Reviewed 8 August 2012

What a pity. After a day on the beach, I was heading home with the family and decided to treat them to a pub dinner. I remembered this place, having passed through the village on my bike a while back and thought it would be ideal, given its location.

At the bar, I ordered drinks and asked whether we could sit outside (something we always like to do with 2 young children). The barman seemed quite annoyed by this and told me we could but that we'd have to take out our own cutlery etc and would have to order our food at the bar. I didn't have a problem with this, but was immediately ruffled by his attitude. He then proceeded to serve all of our drinks, including my pint of real ale in plastic glasses and told me that this was the rule if we were drinking outside ("because of the river"!?).

I then produced my debit card in order to open a tab to cover the drinks and food order and was promptly told that I couldn't open a tab as we were sitting outside. The reason given this time was not "because of the river," but because they couldn't keep an eye on people outside. By this time, my blood was beginning to simmer. I was now in effect being told that I was not to be trusted. I challenged him on this, telling him that he wasn't being very accommodating and was told that they were the rules!

Needless to say, we promptly left, without eating.

Being a real ale fan and a member of CAMRA, I'm as keen as anyone to support the great British pub trade. Unfortunately, now and again, customer service like this rears its ugly head and really puts me off. I won't be returning here any time soon.

4  Thank parkpre1111
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This simply has to be one of the best locations in North Wales the Restaurant lies on the banks of a river with a quaint bridge to cross into the village. The Sunday lunch is to die for with friendly staff who pamper you no wham bang rush here with your food relaxation tranquil and at your own pace here All food is freshly cooked mouthwatering. Take time to walk around the village after your meal and be treated to the wonderful array of well kept Gardens really stunning