“Great Food”

The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: High quality home cooked food is at the heart of what we do at The Black Lion, our aim is to provide our customers with high quality food using the best local produce, and our food can be complemented with our real ales and fine wines from around the world.The Black Lion is situated in an official area of "outstanding natural beauty" & only six miles from the coast, so we are close to the some of the most beautiful countryside in Wales as well as the seaside!Our outside seating area sits on the banks on the river Elwy and we are surrounded by stunning countryside, so even if your only stop is at The Black Lion you can still enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery Wales has to offer. John & the team would like to welcome all to The Black Lion & they look forward to making your stay with us both enjoyable & memorable. With our high quality food and accommodation, real ales, fine wines from around the world and our specialty coffees, there will be something for all in our beautiful country pub!
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited here twice in the space of a month. The first was Sunday lunch. The place was full but the food was excellent and the service attentive. We went back last week for an office Xmas dinner for 30 people. Mass catering is never easy, but the food was fantastic; fresh, well cooked and excellent service. We would have no hesitation in recommending the Black Lion to anyone for any occasion.

1  Thank Swiftsgreen

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We visited in September during our week in Wales. As ever I'd researched some places to eat before setting off and the reviews for the Black Lion seemed fairly positive.

When we arrived it was mid afternoon and there was only us eating in the pub which instantly rang alarm bells with me but we chanced it anyway.

I can't say that the food was bad or brilliant so roundly average really. I had the fishcake starter and my better half had goat's cheese parcels. The fishcake was the nicer of the two but both came with a salad which had been drizzled rather than dressed with some kind of bright pink dressing. It wasn't unpleasant, in fact it didn't really taste of much at all so was relatively inoffensive.

For our mains we both had burgers which is something I never usually do. It was fine but nothing special. Again the side salad came with the same dressing on.

Like a lot of the pubs and places we visited I'd say that this was far better than the frozen food chain pubs that have blighted the country but it's on the pricey side for what it is. Service was friendly and helpful so no complaints there.

I can't say I'd make the effort to go back if we returned to Wales on holiday but it was by no means the worst meal we've ever had.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We called in to the Black Lion on spec on a recent trip to Wales and was very impressed with the location, decor, atmosphere and the food. We were made very welcome and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us on a very busy night. The menu was varied and the food was delicious. Well worth a visit. Will be going back.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

we have a holidayday home near to the "lion", and when we are in residence, we always book a table in advance because it is so popular,you cannot just go in on chance! the quality of the food is first class, as is the cooking and service. sometimes,you do have to wait for your meal,but, that is because everything is cooked freshly to order, and if you have never tried netties cheesy mash or barbqued chicken or salmon you are missing out in life!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

A visit to the Black Lion was recommended by a friend and I must say we were very impressed, the food was fantastic. My husband and I both had the steak and ale pie, which came with vegetables and a choice of chips or mozzarella mash, we had one of each so that we could try both. The food was all beautifully cooked and presented and was piping hot, we were so impressed that we have already planned our return visit. They also had 2 real ales on which as far as we are concerned is the icing on the cake