“First visit and very impressed”

The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: High quality home cooked food is at the heart of what we do at The Black Lion, our aim is to provide our customers with high quality food using the best local produce, and our food can be complemented with our real ales and fine wines from around the world.The Black Lion is situated in an official area of "outstanding natural beauty" & only six miles from the coast, so we are close to the some of the most beautiful countryside in Wales as well as the seaside!Our outside seating area sits on the banks on the river Elwy and we are surrounded by stunning countryside, so even if your only stop is at The Black Lion you can still enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery Wales has to offer. John & the team would like to welcome all to The Black Lion & they look forward to making your stay with us both enjoyable & memorable. With our high quality food and accommodation, real ales, fine wines from around the world and our specialty coffees, there will be something for all in our beautiful country pub!
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Found this Inn on the internet. Reviews were good and the visit proved to confirm them.
Set in a delightful village the Black Lion is a typical Village pub with a busy restraunt, we vivisted at 7.30pm and it soon filled up with diners.
The menu has a few expected meals on but also has some less usual meals to choose from. Our party of four chose starters, mins and sweets and he servings were generous, appetisingly presented and delicious throughout. Some of what we enjoyed were Black Pudding in Filo Pastry, Mussles in a cream sauce, Guinea Fowl Breast, Pork Medallions, Lamb Shank and Chicken Supreme (not the usual cream sauce version). The accompanying vegatable selections were excellent and the meals were alls erved on HOT PLATES, a rarity in many places.
The efficient and cheerful staff made our experience complete.
We took visiting friends and while an unknown rest is sometmes a gamble this one hit the spot. We will be back to savour the menu again. Very well done Black Lion. Booking recommended.

1  Thank John R
BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you john for your kind review, I am glad you enjoyed your visit to The black Lion, myself and all the team look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Driving across Wales we came across the black lion
Ticked all boxes location, service, selection and quality of food all first class
If passing through its worth stopping

BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you Niknath for your kind review, we look forward to seeing again in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was taken here by friends for an evening meal and a few drinks. Food was lovely and lots of it! Nice and clean with a great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

1  Thank bungleboo72
BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words I will pass them on to all the team at The Black Lion

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I would nt normally comment but after reading last review saying it was awful I felt I had to . Ive been on numerous occasions last one being last week food is always excellent and I've also ate in the bull and can honestly say there is definitely no comparison .. The Bull cheap and cheerful and dirty,whereas Black lion quality food . Travel that way every weekend and if we don't book can never get in . Definitely worth going there !!!!

I thank you for your kind review Lorraine, the general feeling from our customers and staff is that the last review was both unfair and unjust, we will however continue in our efforts to achieve the highest standards possible and look forward to seeing again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Well...where to start.

Booked a table in advance here for fathers day (15th june) for 4pm

On arriving we told the waiter our name and that we had booked for 5 plus highchair. They Hadnt booked us in, but found us a table and we ordered drinks. The drinks came and the waiter bought over a menu, it stated 3 course for £19.95 sister asked if that was the only menu, which it was. That was fine. As my mum cant eat alot due to illness she cant eat three course so asked the price of 1 or 2 course, he went away to ask and came back stating it was the same price for 1 or 2 course as it was the 3 (£19.95) also the same for my son who is 2.5 for the 5 of us and toddler it would have cost £120+ just for food. We paid for our drinks the manager didnt speak to us they just let us leave.

We went to a place called the bull inn, abergele, it was delicious.

The black lion have lost 5 customers who used to dine here regularly. We will not be returning.

Poor customer service. As had we not asked the price we would have recieved a huge bill at the end of our meal.

Very very poor!!

6  Thank Stacey D
BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

I am sorry that you where disappointed with your recent visit to The Black Lion, although I am concerned that you thought a table was not reserved for you, your booking was for 3.30pm and you arrived at 4.00pm and your table was ready at that time, however when you made your reservation you should have been informed that it was a fathers day set menu and I apologise for that. When it was brought to my attention you had already left so I did not have the opportunity to talk to you. I do hope you will give the Black Lion another visit which may enable myself and the team to rebuild the confidence you once had in us.