“Lovely place in a lovely spot of Wales.”

The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: High quality home cooked food is at the heart of what we do at The Black Lion, our aim is to provide our customers with high quality food using the best local produce, and our food can be complemented with our real ales and fine wines from around the world.The Black Lion is situated in an official area of "outstanding natural beauty" & only six miles from the coast, so we are close to the some of the most beautiful countryside in Wales as well as the seaside!Our outside seating area sits on the banks on the river Elwy and we are surrounded by stunning countryside, so even if your only stop is at The Black Lion you can still enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery Wales has to offer. John & the team would like to welcome all to The Black Lion & they look forward to making your stay with us both enjoyable & memorable. With our high quality food and accommodation, real ales, fine wines from around the world and our specialty coffees, there will be something for all in our beautiful country pub!
“Lovely place in a lovely spot of Wales.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The food at The Black Lion was so yummy last time that my wife & I just had to come back. So, when I rang to book a lunchtime table for two the chap on the phone said it was no problem... without even taking a name or contact number!
When we arrived just before 2pm it wasn't too busy and I noticed other visitors were really enjoying their meals which is always a nice sign.
I had to go for the guinea fowl in a mushroom & honey jus from the specials paper menu, with fresh vegetables & chips. Mrs E opted for the steak & ale pie with the same sides from the regular menu. Just like before, the meals were generously sized and when they were served they looked wonderful.
My meal was really good indeed, and apart from a small bone there was nothing left on my plate. My wife described her meal as "nice but nothing special"
Along with two glasses of soft drink, the bill came to just under £25. Service was again nothing special to write home about, but it was rather refreshing not to be asked whilst eating if everything was ok with our meals... there's nothing elegant about replying to this question when one's mouth is full!

• Visited July 2014
BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I thank you for your review

Abergele, United Kingdom
“First visit and very impressed”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Found this Inn on the internet. Reviews were good and the visit proved to confirm them.
Set in a delightful village the Black Lion is a typical Village pub with a busy restraunt, we vivisted at 7.30pm and it soon filled up with diners.
The menu has a few expected meals on but also has some less usual meals to choose from. Our party of four chose starters, mins and sweets and he servings were generous, appetisingly presented and delicious throughout. Some of what we enjoyed were Black Pudding in Filo Pastry, Mussles in a cream sauce, Guinea Fowl Breast, Pork Medallions, Lamb Shank and Chicken Supreme (not the usual cream sauce version). The accompanying vegatable selections were excellent and the meals were alls erved on HOT PLATES, a rarity in many places.
The efficient and cheerful staff made our experience complete.
We took visiting friends and while an unknown rest is sometmes a gamble this one hit the spot. We will be back to savour the menu again. Very well done Black Lion. Booking recommended.

1 Thank John R
BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you john for your kind review, I am glad you enjoyed your visit to The black Lion, myself and all the team look forward to seeing you again soon.

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Lovely surprise”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Driving across Wales we came across the black lion
Ticked all boxes location, service, selection and quality of food all first class
If passing through its worth stopping

BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you Niknath for your kind review, we look forward to seeing again in the future.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, great service”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I was taken here by friends for an evening meal and a few drinks. Food was lovely and lots of it! Nice and clean with a great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank bungleboo72
BlackLionLlanfair, Manager at The Black Lion Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words I will pass them on to all the team at The Black Lion

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent as usual”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I would nt normally comment but after reading last review saying it was awful I felt I had to . Ive been on numerous occasions last one being last week food is always excellent and I've also ate in the bull and can honestly say there is definitely no comparison .. The Bull cheap and cheerful and dirty,whereas Black lion quality food . Travel that way every weekend and if we don't book can never get in . Definitely worth going there !!!!

• Visited July 2014
I thank you for your kind review Lorraine, the general feeling from our customers and staff is that the last review was both unfair and unjust, we will however continue in our efforts to achieve the highest standards possible and look forward to seeing again in the near future.