“Best Wines, But Extremely High Prices”

The Winery at La Grange
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Haymarket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Housed in a mansion that dates from the 18th century, visiting The Winery at La Grange is the perfect opportunity for you to escape your busy day. The Winery is easily accessible from route 66 in Northern Virginia, as we are only 40 miles from Washington, D.C. Our sprawling 20 acres include more than 8 acres of vineyards and with plenty of space for picnics, parties, weddings, or simply a romantic getaway for two.
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We toured some NOVA wineries this weekend, and of the four we tried that day, these wines were by far the best, HOWEVER they were also by far more expensive (more than 2.5x as expensive in some cases!). I don't recommend this place for beginner wine tasters or those that look like they don't have money...we felt very out of place here and the gentleman who gave us our $15 wine tasting (yes, that's PER PERSON), did a horrible job. He gave us the bare minimum information, and I got more from the paper in front of me than from him. The winery itself was beautiful and you got good size tastings, but we certainly will never be going back here again. Our wine tasting for 2 cost almost as much as a bottle of GOOD wine! Ridiculous! The only reason they got 3 stars from me is because they did have good wines.

4  Thank nengel09

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We have always liked visiting La Grange for some down time and a glass of wine on the weekends. Over the last three years we have seen change in management and owners and most importantly a change in price. In the last two years they have increased some wines over 52%. Now, I don’t mind paying for quality but the fact if they are now well outside of my QPR (Quality Price Ratio). There are dozens of wineries in the area that offer comparable wines at a much more reasonable price point than La Grange. I’m not sure if they are trying to capitalize on their recent success, but I would warn them not to effectively price themselves out of the market.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We wanted to enjoy a beautiful sunny fall afternoon in the country and we chose this winery. We chose well! The grounds were beautiful, the views wonderful and the old manor house was outstanding! We visited on a Friday afternoon, so we did not have a crowd to fight or compete with and the service we received was impeccable. The gentleman that served as was quite a conversationalist, friendly, personable and very knowledgeable about the wines. We felt welcomed and well taken care of...not on an assembly line like some other vineyards we have visited. They are open later than most also. If you are looking for a pleasant, memorable experience for an afternoon with your Honey..this is a place!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Visited with friends today on this hot 90+degree first day of September. Vineyard celebrating their 7th anniversary. Many, many people. Initially thought this spoke highly of the vineyards.. not sure at this point.

Pros: Beautiful grounds, view, manor house. Festive atmosphere, great music (two guitarists out front were great!) picnic tables, front porch tables, very nice area to be outside. Vineyards are beautiful.

Cons: Inside wine tasting/ Acknowledge that this was a busy day for them. Still, when you are charging $15 for a tasting of 10 wines, it would be nice to have the pourer a bit more interested in sharing his knowledge of each wine to a degree that exceeds name, rank, and serial number. I have never felt as rushed through a tasting as I did here. Again, understand that they were slammed, but this is a WINE tasting - not java. it was obvious after the second minimal pour (very small amounts of wine were poured) that we were being served with the Bum's rush in this pourer's mind. When you consider that a bottle of wine here is $22-42 dollars, plus a glass of wine is $9.00, add to that two $15 tastings, and we "Bums" that were being rushed through were about to spend $100 after a rush tasting that may have lasted 5 minutes. As I type this, I wish the wine had not been as good as it was! Truth be told, the price sticker on this winery is too much for the knowledge you don't gain, and the time not spent sharing their joy for what they do for a living... making wine! Sharing the joys of your great wine should be job one, right?

We all have bad days, I guess. Hope the pourer we had has a better one tomorrow.

To be clear, this is a beautiful vineyard, growing in popularity, and reach, as it is now owned by an investor from China... The wine is very good----

The owner and workers would do well to remember that they are not the only vineyard in Virginia.. Share some of your joy with us, that is why we make the trip to see you... to learn from you.

3  Thank HDGem1
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I wanted to plan a family get together and suggested this winery, because I visited this past May with a friend and really enjoyed it. My sister and I were excited to do a tasting and then select our favorite bottles to share with our parents and my husband. The interaction we had the with man serving the tastings at the bar was really too odd to not share. We presented our ID's before the tasting. The employee very rudely told my sister he could NOT serve her because her Virginia's drivers license was vertical not horizontal. We responded that it was valid, was no where near the expiration date and her birthday very clearly stated she was over 21. He continued to say this was a new law in Virginia and it did not matter what her birthday was, he could not serve someone with a vertical license. My sister frequents wineries in Virginia and also has purchased alcohol at stores and restaurants and we have NEVER heard of this before. However, when another employee approached the bar his story and mannerisms changed and he said oh, but I can serve you here. Weird right? He then preceded to keep talking about it and his story of what the law was and how he learned of it just kept changing. We looked up online later that night to see if there was a new Va law preventing people with valid vertical licenses from being served and could find nothing substantial. This was a great winery and fun day with family but this bizarre interaction with this specific employee really rubbed us the wrong way. Based on his changing story and lack of evidence about this "law" leads us to conclude he probably just wanted to have some sort of confrontation. As guests, we wanted to relax and enjoy wine and spend time as a family and my sister was upset because for a period of time she really thought she wouldn't get served even though she was completely legal. All that being said, this really is a nice winery and a great place to bring kids and dogs. I just wish this employee had a better ability to interact with guests.

1  Thank ejbmsj