“Convenient for Our Trip”

Hyatt House Herndon
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stayed one night at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites. We were going to be spending some time in the Leesburg area and also getting together with a family member who lives in Manassas, so this provided accommodations that were centrally located to both. We didn't have any problem finding the hotel based on the directions given. Check-in was completed quickly and our request for an upper floor, non-smoking room (4th floor, which is the top floor) was granted.

The room is set up with a smal seating area that contains a couch which I believe is a sofabed, and an entertainment center that hada flat-panel TV. There is a small kitchen area with counter that can be used for eating or a work area. The kitchen are a is small and contains a two-burner cooktop(no oven), microwave, compact dishwasher, and an apartment size frig. We didn't use any of it but it would be nice for people staying more than a day or two. Appeared t be well equipped with cooking & eating utensils. The bedroom has double doors that block it off from the LR. Average size with a queen bed and another flat-panel TV.

We had already settled into the suite when I went to use the bathroom. Upon opening the door, I immediately noticed that the previous occupant(s) had obviously smoked in the bathroom, hoping that the bathroom exhaust fan would suck out the smoke smell, which of course it did not. I called the front desk to inform them, since there is a hefty charge for smoking in the room (something like $200). We were offered another room but since we were already settled in and were only staying one night, we decided not to move. We just kep the bathroom door closed and we didn't really notice the smell in the other parts of the suite.

Each morning there is a breakfast buffet which was OK. Typical of this type of property. Might get a bit boring if you were there a number of days. During the week there is also a free social hour, but not on the weekend, which is when we stayed.

Our only other complaint was that the A/C wasn't working properly so they had installed a window unit in both the LR and BR. Since it wasn't hot enough to need it, it wasn't a problem buit might have been rather noisey if we had needed it. I don't think this is typical as we couldn't see any other window units from our vanatge point.

In Reston, which is right near by (10 minutes or so) , there is an office complex that also has many restaurants, which is where we went with our family member. Also near by is a Target and of course gas stations where you can fill up before getting back on the highway. The hotel is off Route 7100, which runs between the Dulles Toll Rd and Route 7. There is plenty of shopping and dining on Route 7.

Bottom line was that it was a good value for what we paid (about $70 with taxes), so we would stay ther again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 February 2009

I enjoyed my time at the Summerfield Suites and in total I was there for 3-4 weeks. The staff is friendly and the rooms are nice. There are two flat screens in each suite (1 Bed) and there's a really nice patio area with two grills out there, which is great for people staying multiple weeks or in the process of relocation. The overall value I'm not too sure about, since I know the rates are high. The Manager's reception is decent in the evening(don't drink the wine unless you're ok with it coming in a box) but the food is ok for snack type stuff. The gym is nice as well and is open 24 hours I believe. Overall, a nice place and reasonably close to downtown Reston.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2009

I returned from a business trip in the Washington Dulles area with several colleagues. It was my responsibility to find accomodations for the group and chose this as it was close to the airport and our office, there were some conveniences within a short driving distance, and also the free breakfast and evening social hour during the week.

The group arrived and check-in was easy. They did take an imprint of the credit card which I haven't seen in a while. I'm not sure why this is done in this day and age, not a big deal. We arrived during the social hour (which is two hours 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm) and found it to be o.k. I saw chicken wings, chips, and a few other things. There is Miller Highlife and Miller Lite on tap. These are poured for you. Also available are wine and soft drinks.

I went up to the room, and got a two bedroom suite, which was much more room then I needed. It had two seperate bedrooms, each with a bathroom. All rooms, including the common/kitchen area had flat screen televisions. I'm always disappointed when a hotel have HDTVs on their property, however they don't provide HD broadcasting. I've found one or two hotels that offer HD programming when they made the investment to purchase new equipment. I did notice that one of the outlet face plates was missing from my bed. Otherwise the room was clean and comfortable. I appreciate the central HVAC instead of window units.

I did have a bit of breakfast and did like the Starbucks coffee, and the small danish. There was also fruit, bacon/sausage, juice, and other continental type breakfast items.

The group I was travelling with had finished their stuff early and ended up at the hotel for the social hour. They had asked for wine when the person manning the social hour was a bit This is from their point of view, however there were many of them, and they all couldn't be far off from what actually happened.

I think that if some of the little items were polished a bit more, the hotel would be ABOVE Average and even excellent. I usually stay in Marriotts or Hilton type hotels, this is my first experience with a Hyatt. I will probably be back for a 2nd visit. If the service isn't better or the same, it might be the last.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Booked a weekend AAA rate for a great rate. My one bedroom suite was spotless, consisting of 2 flat screen TV's with many cable stations (one in the bedroom and one in the living area) and full kithcen appliances. They sell some frozen dinners in the lobby if you don't want to go out. There is a free hot breakfast in the morning, nothing to wriite home about, but edible.

The location is close to Dulles, with many shopping and dining options in the area.

I was very comfortable and would recommend the Hyatt Summerfield over other and for the most, more costly hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2008

We stayed for two nights in November, the first and last nights of our week long trip to DC. We were really impressed. The two bedroom suite was large and the weekend rate was very reasonable. The kids wanted to stay longer. What impressed me most was their service. We were in a hurry to get to Dulles, and in the confusion my wedding ring had dropped off of the sink onto the floor and I left without it by mistake. I called and Julio found the ring and sent it to me. I really appreciated Julio's prompt help.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2008

I booked this online, so after selecting a King Size non-smoking I figured that is what I would get. However I arrived at the hotel at 9pm to be told that they had no non-smoking left and hence no more rooms. It was late and there was nothing more they could do. It turns out there was some very small print about rooms type are not guaranteed buried within the reservation details. So if they can't guarantee room type, why am I selecting a King over a Queen and non-smoking versus smoking ! Unfortunately I had to stay in a smoking room ! I suspect this is a ploy (adding the small disclaimer about rooms are not guaranteed) that they use to fill up the smoking rooms that otherwise would never get filled !
I complained to Expedia via phone, but they were not helpful choosing to ignore the issue. Also note that the 'reputable' travel site that I booked it through would not post this review after several reviews, so now I post it here...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank miar70
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We highly recommend this location; you will not be disappointed.All the comfort of home from the top class bed linen to the top quality towels, to the large size of the suite, kitchen even had a grater and mixing bowl. Three flat screen TV, Tastefully decorated with a beautiful color scheme.Bed linen must have been a 400 thread count because they were sooo soft. Did I mention the beautiful fireplace? With less than a week before our vacation, we found a $79 per night rate for a 2 room suite on travelocity. We thought it must be a mistake and went directly to the hotel website, Sure enough, we were able to get three nights at $79 (FRI-SUN)and other weeknights cost $189. Our 15 year wanted to stay behind and not do the DC tourist stuff because hotel has a basketball court. We were shocked that housekeeping even ran the dishwasher every day for us. Room is set up for business or leisure with easy access to connect your lap top and run a presentation on the large flat screen TV. Breakfast is real breakfast not continental with lots of hot food and a wide choice. Social hour has a salad bar, soup, a wide cheese selection, soup, wine, and lots of other selection. There is a GIANT supermarket (that's the name of the supermarket) close by and we were able to save on dinner a couple nights because we purchased items from the deli. The hotel even has a free service where you can order items from the supermarket and have it delivered. Our family has changed our loyalty from the Embassy suites to Hyatt because we had such good service. Staff not particularly friendly (not the smiling faces I am used to at Disney) but they are extremely helpful and will even print out directions for you. If there is anything we have to complain about is that the pool closed at 8 p.m. each night and after a full day in the DC area doing tourist stuff or a full day of doing presentations, it would have been nice to stay in the pool later. Also, the toilet flushes like those on an air plane...you feel like you will be sucked down to sea because the flush is loud. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being clearly outstanding, this property has scored a 10 by our family of 4. Kudos to the management team and staff!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Residence Inn Herndon Reston
Westin Reston Heights
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East

Been to Hyatt House Herndon? Share your experiences!