“Horrible”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Los Angeles
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

Plastic mattress cover may keep the mattress perfect, but it makes for a really horrible sleeping experience. That and the lack of heat controls (if you turn on the heat, it says at 76 degrees, if you turn it off, it gets too cold. After all, it was 16 degrees outside.) make for a very uncomfortable situation. When I first mentioned the heat problem to the front desk clerk, she got very annoyed with me. And then, when I asked why everyone got a newspaper but us, she snapped and said "everyone gets a newspaper." The staff does not care about anything or anybody. Not a good value. Stay some place else!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We got there and surprised what they have in rooms. The things that make you feel right at home – a full kitchen, free high-speed Internet, plus a complimentary full breakfast each morning and Evening Social.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank BLaffy61
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

I was very pleasantly surprised that this Summerfield Suites by Hyatt has almost the same quality as the downtown Hyatt in Reston. The room is very spacious and clean. The decor is top notch. The staff there is professional and courteous as you'd expect from a 3.5 stars place. Will return again.

P.S. The free WiFi is among the fastest in many other hotels/inns I stayed at.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

I stayed here for 2 months from May-July 2009. I had to extend my stay multiple times and every time the hotel was fantastic about keeping me at the same rate and in the same room. The staff was very helpful, the service was great. I loved the evening reception and the breakfast. I had a one bedroom suite which was a fantastic layout. The bed was fantastic, but I did sleep on the pullout bed one night and it was comfortable too. Can't say enough how much I liked this hotel. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stayed one night at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites. We were going to be spending some time in the Leesburg area and also getting together with a family member who lives in Manassas, so this provided accommodations that were centrally located to both. We didn't have any problem finding the hotel based on the directions given. Check-in was completed quickly and our request for an upper floor, non-smoking room (4th floor, which is the top floor) was granted.

The room is set up with a smal seating area that contains a couch which I believe is a sofabed, and an entertainment center that hada flat-panel TV. There is a small kitchen area with counter that can be used for eating or a work area. The kitchen are a is small and contains a two-burner cooktop(no oven), microwave, compact dishwasher, and an apartment size frig. We didn't use any of it but it would be nice for people staying more than a day or two. Appeared t be well equipped with cooking & eating utensils. The bedroom has double doors that block it off from the LR. Average size with a queen bed and another flat-panel TV.

We had already settled into the suite when I went to use the bathroom. Upon opening the door, I immediately noticed that the previous occupant(s) had obviously smoked in the bathroom, hoping that the bathroom exhaust fan would suck out the smoke smell, which of course it did not. I called the front desk to inform them, since there is a hefty charge for smoking in the room (something like $200). We were offered another room but since we were already settled in and were only staying one night, we decided not to move. We just kep the bathroom door closed and we didn't really notice the smell in the other parts of the suite.

Each morning there is a breakfast buffet which was OK. Typical of this type of property. Might get a bit boring if you were there a number of days. During the week there is also a free social hour, but not on the weekend, which is when we stayed.

Our only other complaint was that the A/C wasn't working properly so they had installed a window unit in both the LR and BR. Since it wasn't hot enough to need it, it wasn't a problem buit might have been rather noisey if we had needed it. I don't think this is typical as we couldn't see any other window units from our vanatge point.

In Reston, which is right near by (10 minutes or so) , there is an office complex that also has many restaurants, which is where we went with our family member. Also near by is a Target and of course gas stations where you can fill up before getting back on the highway. The hotel is off Route 7100, which runs between the Dulles Toll Rd and Route 7. There is plenty of shopping and dining on Route 7.

Bottom line was that it was a good value for what we paid (about $70 with taxes), so we would stay ther again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Everywhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

I enjoyed my time at the Summerfield Suites and in total I was there for 3-4 weeks. The staff is friendly and the rooms are nice. There are two flat screens in each suite (1 Bed) and there's a really nice patio area with two grills out there, which is great for people staying multiple weeks or in the process of relocation. The overall value I'm not too sure about, since I know the rates are high. The Manager's reception is decent in the evening(don't drink the wine unless you're ok with it coming in a box) but the food is ok for snack type stuff. The gym is nice as well and is open 24 hours I believe. Overall, a nice place and reasonably close to downtown Reston.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Round Lake, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

I returned from a business trip in the Washington Dulles area with several colleagues. It was my responsibility to find accomodations for the group and chose this as it was close to the airport and our office, there were some conveniences within a short driving distance, and also the free breakfast and evening social hour during the week.

The group arrived and check-in was easy. They did take an imprint of the credit card which I haven't seen in a while. I'm not sure why this is done in this day and age, not a big deal. We arrived during the social hour (which is two hours 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm) and found it to be o.k. I saw chicken wings, chips, and a few other things. There is Miller Highlife and Miller Lite on tap. These are poured for you. Also available are wine and soft drinks.

I went up to the room, and got a two bedroom suite, which was much more room then I needed. It had two seperate bedrooms, each with a bathroom. All rooms, including the common/kitchen area had flat screen televisions. I'm always disappointed when a hotel have HDTVs on their property, however they don't provide HD broadcasting. I've found one or two hotels that offer HD programming when they made the investment to purchase new equipment. I did notice that one of the outlet face plates was missing from my bed. Otherwise the room was clean and comfortable. I appreciate the central HVAC instead of window units.

I did have a bit of breakfast and did like the Starbucks coffee, and the small danish. There was also fruit, bacon/sausage, juice, and other continental type breakfast items.

The group I was travelling with had finished their stuff early and ended up at the hotel for the social hour. They had asked for wine when the person manning the social hour was a bit This is from their point of view, however there were many of them, and they all couldn't be far off from what actually happened.

I think that if some of the little items were polished a bit more, the hotel would be ABOVE Average and even excellent. I usually stay in Marriotts or Hilton type hotels, this is my first experience with a Hyatt. I will probably be back for a 2nd visit. If the service isn't better or the same, it might be the last.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Some of the things that make an average hotel, a good or great hotel.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
Hyatt Regency Reston
SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston
Courtyard Herndon Reston
Courtyard Herndon Reston
#16 of 20 in Herndon
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon

Been to Hyatt House Herndon? Share your experiences!