“Had to call hotel security to calm down the breakfast waiter!”

Hyatt Regency Dulles
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Canada
“Had to call hotel security to calm down the breakfast waiter!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

First of all I cannot recommend that Hyatt hotel at all.
Obviously I misread that Hyatt was a high-quality brand.

1) No juices, milk or water available at breakfast buffet
2) Internet charges, though during reservation it was said internet would be free
3) TV just had poor-signal analogue channels

1) Breakfast:

The breakfast is a big disappointment.
There are no juices or other drinks available at breakfast. I have proof for that,
I did take photos of the entire breakfast buffet.
The guest can order juices only from the waiters, who are (which
is very annoying in the United States) always very keen to receive a big tip.

The selection of food is pretty meager to say the least. I've seen much better,
even in 3-star properties (notably Holiday Inn) in the United States.

The worst thing: After breakfast one is given a bill of USD 19. What the --? I told
the waiter that I have a rate where breakfast is included.
Still this guy insisted me on signing the bill that USD 19 will be charged to my room. I refused and told him that breakfast was included, I even showed him my voucher.

The waiter wouldn't backtrack from his position.

I called hotel security, which quickly came.
We mutually agreed that I won't sign any receipt.

Well, afterwards I realized what this receipt was for. Regardless of whether breakfast is included or not, the waiter just wanted to cash in his 15-20% tip.
I am asking myself - for what? For delivering orange juice?
99% of all hotels I visited in the past had juice dispensers located
at the breakfast buffet. I didn't need that stupid waiter at all. All I wanted to have is some "water equivalent substance"!!!! "Breakfast included" means for me "Water is included", as well.

The next morning I brought a bottle of water with me to breakfast
and made myself clear to the new waiter that I don't expect or require
his services.

Moreover, I have to admit. The rooms are allright. The cleaning staff did
a good job in keeping the room tidy.

2) Internet Charges

During reservations I made sure that I select a hotel which had internet included.
I even booked directly at the Hyatt website.
After entering my hotel room I quickly booted up my computer and found that
some Swisscom company (the provider of internet in the hotel) wanted big dollars
for internet which should have been free according to my reservation confirmation.
I obliged and entered my room number into the system, because I was in hurry to send out a number of emails. You have guessed it,
I was pretty angry about that. If anything shows up on my credit card bill, I will just chargeback the amount and show my bank the written reservation confirmation.

Well, I was stuck for two day at Dulles because of a flight reservation mixup. Because I didn't have anything to do, I had to rely on getting entertained by the TV - at least for part of the time.
In all honesty, I do not expect HD channels, however, I expect at least a channel lineup of at least 30 digital channels. We are in the United States, that shouldn't be a problem at all.
What did I got in a high-quality brand hotel called Hyatt Dulles?
A meager 15 analogue channels with really bad signal quality.
Dear Hyatt! Couldn't you afford placing a satellite dish on your roof?

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Martin R
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Martin R,

Thank you for the feedback that you provided on your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I apologize that you did not enjoy our breakfast buffet that we offer here at the hotel. Unfortunately we do not provide and type of drinks on the buffet itself, but we do offer drinks through our restaurant servers. At Hyatt we feel that provides a better service than you having to carry a breakfast plate and drink back to your table. We do provide all guests with a check, whether the meal was included in your room rate or not. This is simply for accounting practices and security measures. It was not meant to offend you and I apologize if that happened.

I also apologize if there was a miscommunication regarding the internet service. We do charge for internet service in our guest rooms, however we do offer complimentary internet in our lobby and through our complimentary 24-hour business center.

Again, thank you for providing us with feedback. We will use the concerns you provided to provide better service in the future.

Melanie Walent, Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We Wish to thank General Manager Michael Session for having the following employees at the Dulles location.Uluana and Katie at the front desk.Katie,Pramot,and Ming servers in the restaurant.The extraordinary talent of all of them ,beside their skill at their job is their rare memories.
We had not been at this location for about 8 months,yet the above group recogonized us before we checked in.This included a hug for my Wife from Gina the host at the restaurant.Of course my Wife has the same type of memory,so the conversation went to her Daughter and now her newborn
All the servers idenified us by sight.
Like the new lobby and business center

Room Tip: we like all of the rooms(but we did get the Presidential)
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Miramar, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

On September 12, 2011, I checked into the Dulles Hilton for a 4 day business trip. When I checked into the room, I turned on the air conditioner and immediately heard a sounds that souned like several angry squirrels. The air conditioner was making a horrible noise. I called the fron t desk and within 15 minutes two maintenance technicians showed up. They troubleshot the problem, found a replacement blower motor and had it replaced in 30 minutes. Excellent job. HOOORAAAH. Well done.

Maybe these guys can get some formal recognition.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gordon s
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

The Hyatt Reston is one of the original hotels in the Dulles Airport that is now surrounded by much newer hotels. However the Hyatt continues to have a key advantage in the size of its rooms all of which are suites. The staff is always very friendly at the front desk, restaurant, and everywhere else. The rooms seem to still be in good shape from the latest refurb and they all have large screen tv's. The in room A/C's continue to be very loud, but they do serve to hush out some of the noise comming through the plumbing from other roooms. The breakfast is adequate, but the coffee bar offers a good selection as well. This Hyatt does not have a Regency Club.
The equipment in the workout rooms is well worn over and exhibts rust and in the case of the treadmills, the rubber mats are torn which I think could be a hazard.

Overall a pleasent stay every time I go.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Difficult to fault this impressive establishment: smartly refurbished ground floor area, attentive and efficient staff, including in the shuttle to and from the airport; and an attractively presented, extensive breakfast buffet. The best bit though was in the pricing: our Getaway package for an August Saturday night included free internet, breakfast and a $25 gas card - effectively making the room itself free of charge; and we were lucky enough to be allocated a spotlessly clean extra large room (1001 I think), with a view to boot.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

On the upside, the room was great. Loved everything about it.

The bar was nice as well.

But the surrounding area leaves a lot to be desired.

It's a nice enough place to sleep for the night, but if I didn't have work in the immediate area there's nothing about this hotel to compel me to stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Clean Rooms, Professional Staff & Excellent meeting room set up.
I opted for the "Pure" room Up grade because of allergies. HEPA Air Cleaner & Clean HVAC system (I'm a HVAC business owner; I Checked)
Excellent facility for a meeting with centralized meeting room areas Courtesy, Refreshment & Business Support
I would definitely go back.. Close to Dulles Airport... & close to Restaurants.
two thumbs up

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Dear NWFLRoadWarrior,

Thank you for your kind words about our associates and our facility in your recent review of our hotel. I was especially happy to see that you enjoyed our PURE / Respire by Hyatt guest rooms. Not only do our rooms have a medical grade HEPA filter in the room, but they have also gone through a comprehensive 6 step cleaning process that creates an environment that is 98% allergy-free. All Hyatt Hotels have these types of guest rooms, so we hope you will try them again the next time you are traveling.

Best Regards,
Melanie Walent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Dulles? Share your experiences!