“Unmet Potential”

Staybridge Suites Dulles
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at this location. Having stayed at Staybridge Suites in the past we were a little disappointed with our stay. I have to admit we had high expectations because of the excellent service and quality we have experienced at other Staybridge locations. There was nothing out-right unacceptable but there was a lot of room for improvements.

PROS:
-Nice quite location. The area seems very safe and is nearly silent, especially at night. Don't worry about the close location to the airport. We never noticed air traffic sounds. You are only a few miles from every sort of restaurant, bank, store and service needed. Nothing is really walking distance however.

-The rooms have a full kitchen with dishwasher, stove top, microwave, full sized refrigerator with pots, pans, and dishes.

-The separate bedroom provides an "at home" feel and provides plenty of room for work and leisure.

-Breakfast is provided each morning. An evening reception is provide Tuesday thru Thursday evenings.

-A free shuttle service will take you anywhere within a five mile radius.

CONS:

-The rooms are dated. While not problematic they lack the luster of a new location. Furnishings are nicked and scratched. The rooms do not have flat-screen, current televisions. The rooms were well cleaned they are just needing a face life soon. I felt like I was in a hotel from the 90's.

-The internet service is horrible. I have spent dozens of nights in hotels this year and this location had the WORST internet possible. It was almost unusable. It reminded me of the days of using "dial up."

-The exterior is also ready for some elbow grease. Rotting wood, flaking paint, and rust were common. The walkways were muddy in several places after a light rain.

-The food service was very poor. We were left feeling like "scavengers." There was almost an atmosphere of competition to get a bite to eat. The food was poorly stocked. The amount of food was not nearly adequate for the number of guests. I am glad I didn't pay extra for the food or I would have been greatly disappointed. I would say the food service was the low point of our stay.

-Don't expect upgrades if you are a Priority Club Platinum Member. We asked during the reservation process and again upon our arrival. We were told no rooms were available. The occupancy rates seemed very slow during our visit and so I suspect they did have upgraded rooms available.

SUMMARY: If you want a convenient place to stay that is clean and provides basic service you may be happy here. If you are accustomed to the higher quality available at some Staybridge locations you will probably be disappointed. I'd say check the price and if you are a budget traveler this may work for you. It is really unfortunate that this location has so much potential yet misses the mark in several areas.

Room Tip: If you need to use laundry or want to be close to the common areas try to ask for a room in a nearby...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PeruTravelFamily

Reviewed 6 January 2012

This hotel is somewhat off the beaten path and a little difficult to find, but my GPS got me there fine. Typical Staybridge Suites......very nice front deck person, room immaculate, flat screen TV, etc. Excellent complimentary hot breakfast. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed for 4 nights during our visit to DC. Excellent location with complimentary shuttle to the transportation center. We rented a car for convenience but it is not really necessary if you want to save that expense. Fully equipped kitchen with stovetop sufficient for our needs. Rooms were spotless and the breakfast was more than adequate. Staff very helpful and our requests were met with courtesy. Would stay there again when visiting the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank megansworldtravel
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Definitely recommending this hotel!! Worked out well for family of 4, We had a 2-bdrm suite. The rooms are far apart from each other so my husband & I had privacy & a great night's sleep. Staff was helpful & the waffles were very good. Planning a 2nd visit soon. They also have a basketball court & outdoor pool.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JamaicanQueen39
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Good location and easy free access to area business centers.
Well equipped rooms, comfortable large bed and lots of pillows.

For the price, it really meets the needs of business traveller.

Nice breakfast - i never used their evening meal service but it smelled good.

Free wifi, breakfast and evening light snack are all included in 72.00 (including tax price). Free parking and very quiet despite being near the airport.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This hotel has good potential, being located near the airport and providing comfortable accommodation in large, comfortable suites, but several small things that stack up made my stay less than ideal.

So the suites are large, consisting of a living room with a desk, sofa, LCD TV, a large kitchen area with a microwave and large fridge and a bedroom with very comfortable king-sized bed. Bathroom is also large and has a bathtub.

Now for the problems -
For starters I arrived at 11am, and check in is at 4pm (even though check-out is at 12pm!!!). I asked whether I could possibly check in later, but he said the room wasn't clean so I decided to take a walk in the area (which doesn't have much of interest in it, but at least the hotel provides a free shuttle to anywhere within 5 miles, though you might have to wait half an hour for it...). Came back around 2pm and he still wouldn't let me in the room saying it was not clean. At 4pm sharp, suddenly all the rooms (by that time there were like 10 people waiting) were clean, even though 5 minutes earlier they were all dirty... I guess they had some magic cleaners that instantly clean the room at 4pm. So I can understand (though frown upon) hotels that say in advance that there is no early check-in regardless of room availability, but if they won't even say it to your face its even worse.

Next was the internet access, which was probably a 28.8 kbps modem from 20 years ago, and even it kept disconnecting. At midnight they switched passwords and I had to call reception to get the new one. This is a major drawback for anyone planning on working in this hotel that doesn't have 3g internet access.

Being unable to do any work I decided to take a shower, and almost stopped washing in the middle due to the annoyingly low water pressure. Then when I went to shave I almost broke the mirror in anger due to the annoying light that was flickering and made me feel I was shaving in a disco.

Breakfast was OK, a bit better than other hotels in the states that I've been to. When it was finally time to leave, we had to wait for over 15 minutes for the taxi, and the same wait applied for some colleagues of mine who ordered taxis the previous day.

Bottom line - I probably wouldn't go back to this hotel, there are a few others in the area, in the same price range providing very similar value, that I'd try first.

Room Tip: Check the water pressure of your shower and ask to switch rooms if its not good enough. Some sui...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Over all if you did not need to connect easily to the internet via WiFi a great place to stay. hot coffe and good breakfast. we were on the 2nd floor and it was quiet. No elevator though.
Re the WiFi: I use an iPad and was told that their service was not compatiable. I heard other guests also saying they had little or no connectivity.

the desk did try and help but it was out of their hands.
So while I recommend this hotel, I would double check to see if the WiFi issue has been addressed.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank cherylJoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
1 mi away
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Staybridge Suites Dulles? Share your experiences!