“I have never experienced anything like this”

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Aventura, Florida
“I have never experienced anything like this”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I check into the Hilton exhausted in the evening, and they send me to a room on the third floor. I put my stuff down and unpack, and then I notice a huge area of the carpet near the bathroom soaking wet. I stepped in it in my bare feet. I call the front desk, and they send up a valet with keys to a new room on the third floor. I pack up all of my stuff and go to that room. I walk in and turn on the lights, and the lights are flickering like a strobe. I try turn off those lights and turn on others, until I realize that the AC is also not working in this room. I call the front desk again, and this time they send up a manager with keys to the fifth floor.

The fifth floor requires a key to get to, and when I get up there I notice there is a special room with a complimentary breakfast for those with a key. I assumed they moved me to the fifth floor and gave me this breakfast as a token for having to move twice. The room on the fifth floor was nothing special, but at least there was nothing broken. There were, however, flies all over the room.

I woke up in the morning to go eat breakfast, and my key does not let me in. So in other words, they moved me to the fifth floor but did not give me access to breakfast. I went downstairs to check out, and I spoke with a manager about my experience. She wrote everything down and expressed how sorry she was. She guaranteed me that someone from Hilton would contact me soon to discuss the situation. 10 days later, no one contacted me.

When I returned home from my travels, I wrote Hilton an email explaining what happened. The email I received back read like a form letter.

The lack of concern for this customer's experience was profound. I travel A LOT, and this experience has really turned me off of the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
I am very sorry to read about your experience here last month. The odds of encountering 2 guest rooms back to back with issues is INCREADIBLY unlikely! It sounds like a series of oversights (that hopefully individually would have seemed less significant) had a negative, “snowball” effect on your overall stay. You are correct, the intent of upgrading you to the 5th floor was absolutely to provide you with a complimentary breakfast, and to make up for the inconvenience of moving rooms, and your room key should have granted you access to the lounge.

Feedback sent to Hilton Corporate is dealt with by their customer service team to the best of their ability, but they are not physically on property to know all of the intricacies of what you experienced—that is why the letter you received may have felt somewhat generic. Conversely, ALL feedback given directly at our property is reviewed by me, and our goal is to NEVER let a guest check out unsatisfied. I regret that your complaint was not handled in a more timely manner, and I hope that you reconsider your decision to stay elsewhere and give Hilton a second chance in the future!

Greg Langweg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I like Hilton properties and usually try to stay whenever traveling. They are always clean, maintain a consistent standard and are reliable. But the Washington Dulles Airport Hilton is not even up to Hampton Inn standards. Its no that the room wasn't clean, or the staff wasn't competent. Its is that the facility was dated and worn, and not near the value for the price of the room. If I'm back at Dulles I'm staying at the Hampton Inn down the road because its fresh, inviting and half the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Roger W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am happy to tell you that we just started a renovation which will conclude in September. Thank you again, and I hope you will reconsider your decision to stay elsewhere and give the Hilton Dulles a second chance in the future.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is quite nice. Rooms are always clean, well maintained, and comfortable. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. I have only stayed here for one night at a time, as a layover before continuing my travels, and it has always met my needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Nancy B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback and thank you for being a loyal guest to the Hilton Dulles! We are very pleased to know we have met your needs time and time again, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the Dulles area!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This was a 10 hour stop over so I didn't tour many of the facilities. Was upgraded to a suite (not two rooms but just one huge room that you could easily do laps around to keep fit. Big bathroom etc. no refrigerator.

The little things give it away. Carpets very dated in the lifts - this is your entry and where first impressions begin. A quick fix perhaps?

To give you an idea of the courtesy bus, it still picks up and drops off at 2H on the transportation level. Follow the signs then the alphabet. Pickup was prompt the night before.

Leaving the hotel in the morning the shuttle takes off on the hour and half hour. Ours was full so a second one came on. To give you an idea I left the hotel 6:30am, was Through security by 7:00am, at the gate (C23) by 7:45am.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear swiggerAustralia,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback in a review. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay overall, but we have taken note to your suggestions regarding the elevators. We actually just began a renovation, and hope you will visit us again once it is complete.

Kind regards,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were in town due to a death in the family, which I happened to mention when checking in. After being out of our room, we returned to find a cheese platter and a bottle of Pellegrino sparkling water had been left for us along with a very thoughtful sympathy note from Maghen M.
This was certainly very kind, unexpected, and appreciated!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Norm C,

Let me first say from all of us here at the Hilton Dulles, that we are very sorry for your loss. I couldn't be more pleased to know that Meghan had an amenity placed in your room, to show our sympathy and that we care. Though we know a cheese platter and sparkling water can not heal the loss of a loved one, we do hope you felt cared for, valued, and respected. Your appreciation has been passed along to Meghan, as well as our Front Office Management team. Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My friends and I frequent the lounge on Monday evenings. Over the last few months we have had the privilege to have Amy as our server. She always has a warm smile and friendly greeting that makes us feel like we are special. Amy remembers what our "usual" is and promptly brings our drinks. Even when there are some unusual requests, Amy goes out of her way to be accommodating. I always look forward to our Monday gathering, not just as a time to laugh and be with friends but because I know Amy will be taking care of us! She is the BEST of the BEST!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Trish S,

I want to first thank you for your loyalty to us, and to our Cardinal Lounge. We are delighted to know you dine with us and your friends every Monday and that Amy provides superb service to you without fail! Your compliments have been passed along to her, as well as the Director of Food and Beverage and our Restaurant Manager. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on Monday!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

After an evening flight was canceled at near by Dulles International Airport (because of a flight crew running out of hours for the day), the airline offered to put me up over night. Naturally, I picked Hilton! Upon arriving at this hotel complex, I was greeted by the ever so friendly front desk crew (Beth). She knew the routine as the airlines often cancel for various reasons...thus, with a smile (to lessen the pain of being stranded) she asked if I was a Hilton Honors member and proceeded to pull up my Hilton Honors information. With her knowing of my very long day and stress from being stranded, she was able to place me in a quiet, top floor room (per my HHoners profile). Before getting to the room, I felt welcomed and relieved that I was staying in a nice place!
As the evening went on, the airline issues grew. Thus building on the stress level well into the night. Around 12:30 am, I was able to break away from the customer service phone conversations (of the airlines) to run down to the bar with hopes of snagging a very late dinner and much needed drinks. A quick few drinks and something to eat had me heading back to the room for a very quiet nights rest!
The next morning I found the same lady at the front desk as I walked by... She addressed me by my last name ("good morning Mr. H..........!")... That alone impressed me....and, might I add, she pronounced my last name correctly too (not a Smith or Jones)..! Then she asked me if I'd caught up on my rest and if the airlines were getting things sorted out. Ok, now I'm impressed..! This alone helped me with starting another day battling the airlines with hopes of finally getting home after a long business trip...
All-in-all, my next trip to this area will have me staying at the Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel! It's a great complex and has very quiet rooms! Thank you to the staff for making a short stay so rewarding!!

Mr. H...
from Colorado...

Room Tip: Very helpful staff! I stayed in the older part of the hotel and didn't mind it at all... Very we...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jeff H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback in a review! Though your stay with us was unexpected, I am glad to know you were impressed and that Beth played a large part in your overall happiness with your stay. Your compliments have been passed along to her, as well as our Front Office Management team. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Greg Langweg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hilton Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!