“Good food, meh service”

Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Herndon, Virginia
“Good food, meh service”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Being from the New York area my husband and I are wary do so-called New York or Italian delis in any state south of New Jersey, but the food at Lucia's totally stands up to scrutiny. DH had the eggplant parm sandwich and I had the chicken ranch sub. Fries were room temp but crispy and delicious. The one choice of bread was limited, but relatively tasty.

That being said, after we had lunch there in the outdoor seating area, the food the only thing good I can say about it. The waitress was terrible, and our table had cigarette ashes from a previous patron. The bathroom smelled and the toilet did not flush well. The other clientele was loud and inconsiderate.

The one other thing I will say is that the food was fast, so I attribute that to the cooks not the service.

• Visited May 2014

Reston, Virginia
“Great expectations almost met, can improve with a little experience.”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great atmosphere and clean italian themed small restaurant. Wait staff still in learning mode. Mixed up orders, oops forgot the bread, did you already order? Things that will work out. The red sauce was too generic, lacking distinct or bold flavor. Nothing bad, just not any better than one would make at home - expectation of a "signature" flavor not really found here.
Classic dishes were only so-so, though not our order the large pizza looked and smelled great!!
Bread was tiny, small, plain right out of package, unheated rolls, with stock pat of foil wrapped butter. Yuck on supplier selections. Salad was simple, 2 kinds of lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and basic dressing on the side. Uninspired and again nothing more than a home salad.
Will try again in 6 months to see if it has improved. Don't sit in tables too close to bar area as noise levels were very distracting.

• Visited December 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Gave It Another Chance”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Last review wasn't ver flattering because of the service. This time much better, and the food is great. I'm back.

• Visited September 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Bad News”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I wrote a review last year and liked it. The pizza is still good, but the chicken wings are burnt and the meatball sub is spicy. What is the worst is their service. We went in at 7:45 pm on a Sunday. The waitress walked past our table multiple times before I finally had to ask who was serving us. Needless to say, it was her. And it all went downhill from there. Had to ask for water twice - she looked at me like I had horns growing out of my nostrils. She would take multiple orders at once, which meant a additional ten minutes to wait for the food. When we get the check, o "thank you" or even asking how it was. I would publish her name, but she would either get in trouble or, more likely, she would be the owner's daughter and nothing would even be said to her.
This place is going downhill and we will find someplace else to go.

• Visited August 2013
Vienna, Virginia
“Go elsewhere”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife and I stopped by this restaurant for a quick dinner as we had an appointment nearby and what a mistake that was. We both had meatball sandwiches and the best thing my wife could say about it was that the bread was good. The consistency of the meatballs screamed lots of filler and little meat and the sauce had an off flavor. I had indigestion all night from my sandwich and I never have that problem with Italian food eaten elsewhere or at home. The service was atrocious and I had to flag down our waitress to get a refill of my ice tea. She seemed more concerned with standing with her back to the dining area than serving her tables. Don't waste your time at this restaurant as there are plenty of others in the area where you vcan get better food and better service.

• Visited July 2013