“Good room, no problems at all, but somewhat pricey”
Review of Super 8 Hillsville

Super 8 Hillsville
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hillsville
Raleigh, NC
“Good room, no problems at all, but somewhat pricey”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed over a recent Friday night, getting in fairly late and leaving early the next morning.

I found everything in the room to be clean, in good working order, and no significant problems at all. The motel had a large crowd judging from the log, yet it was very quiet and I got a good night's rest.

The room, bed and linens were all very clean (didn't check for dust bunnies...) and there were no pests. As I was walking to my 2nd floor room, the hallway floor felt sort of "squishy", but once in the room, everything was in good shape. The TV worked great, as did the network connection. The room didn't have a fridge or microwave, which I didn't need. I didn't check to see if the motel had a pool, weight room, or other amenities which I never use.

The only downside is the price- this motel is located in a cluster of other motels with attending fast food and restaurants, conveniently over the NC border along I-77; I had expected a fairly low price being way out in the middle of nowhere, but rates here were approx.$75 per night, more expensive for a Super 8 than I've see even in large metro areas. I can only imagine what other motels in the area must be like. If you plan staying on this stretch of road, first check the rates in Mount Airy, NC or Wytheville, VA to see if rates are better.

Other than that, this is a good Super 8.

Room Tip: Check rates at nearby motels or get discount coupons for this one- rates tend to be high
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank htomc42
Bob24333, Manager at Super 8 Hillsville, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your review! We work everday to make sure are guest enjoy their stay and the experience. We hope to see you on your trip to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Kutztown
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The room was clean enough, and the bed was comfortable. We were given enough towels. The only problem was that the water was warm but not hot. I wouldn't stay here again unless I were sure that the water would be hot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bob24333, Manager at Super 8 Hillsville, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your review! We did have a problem with our hot water tank that night and have replaced it. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.
Goldsboro, NC
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The motel is conveniently located to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and was quiet and comfortable. The room (210) had two queen beds was fairly clean except for the heavy dust/bunny's covering the edges of the carpet. The reason I have given them a poor rating mostly boils down to some cleanliness issues, staff attitude and treatment.
Check in was not friendly or pleasant. I asked for a ground floor room without any stairs. Scott wasn't friendly and said sarcastically that we were on the 2nd floor and there wasn't an elevator to the ground floor. That started us out on the wrong foot. I said I didn't care what floor we were on as long as there were no stairs.
Right after check in we noticed we had a dirty coffee pot (inside and outside). It looked like toothpaste had been splattered on it. I called from the rooms filthy telephone and asked Scott Sinnett (The Manager) for a clean coffee pot. He met us in the hall with one. We also mentioned we forgot to mention we had AAA and would he adjust the bill. He turned away from us, walked away saying "no" and went back into the office. My friend went into the front office and asked if we heard him correctly say "no" to our request, at which time he said he didn't hear us ask him that question. My friend told Scott that he was looking right at us when we asked him. He then said he would apply the discount and to "remind me in the morning".
We realized later that the 2nd pot was also dirty. I took the coffee pot to the office and told another staff member about the problem and he gave us yet another dirty coffee pot that had coffee splashed on inner carafe area and dusty dirt around the water entrance and top. He thought my asking for a clean coffee pot was just the glass part and argued that the coffee pot was the glass part. I told him that part was called the carafe! I told him regardless, both parts were dirty. With an attitude, he said he wasn't able to get another from the housekeeping department. I asked his name and he said Trevor. I asked politely for his last name and he said "My mother taught me not to give strangers my full name". I told him he was an adult now and he might need to give his full name at some time in his life, then asked for his employee number which he couldn't give me. He said, "You're not my mother". By this time it was 1:30am. I told him to forget the coffee pot He suggested we could go to another motel and the bill would be taken off. I told him I wasn't going anywhere else at that time of night. I thought this very disrespectful and intended to report his and his managers behavior to the owner and mention it on tripadvisor. I might mention it to AAA also.
The next morning I spoke to Scott again and asked to speak to Bob Patel (The owner). He said the owner was only in on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30 to 3:30 and wouldn't tell me how I could reach him. This customer service was ridiculous. In no way was I rude to either of them. I just wanted good service and a clean coffee pot! My pictures hopefully won't be too small.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank yearningtotravel
ohio
Reviewed 23 October 2011

It was OK for an overnight stop. Breakfast was very basic Drinks,Ceral,Donuts,Waffles...
Be sure to use the coupon from the coupon books at the welcome centers on I-77 for the best room rate......

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank OldEd
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed here on our way down to and back from our vacation on Topsail Island, NC. The location is great, right on the way for us. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable. The cable TV was fuzzy sometimes, but it worked. The Internet works fine, but makes you log back in every so often. The breakfast they provided was okay.
If you are looking for a better breakfast, go to the Comfort Inn in Hillsville, but you will pay almost twice as much.
There are not a lot of decent restaurant choices in Hillsville, so we drove to Mt Airy, NC (about 20 mins away) and found a lot of selection.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank SFCtravels
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed here for the night before resuming our drive on the Skyline Drive. Great for the price. Nice dinner down the reet at a sports bar, 3 B's I think? Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Christopher E
HAMILTON
Reviewed 9 September 2011

we stayed there on way to Myrtle Beach SC. very friendly staff very clean rooms . the breakfast very satisfying

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family