“Great Food - Terrible Service - Parking ????”

The Boathouse at City Point
Reserve with OpenTable
The Boathouse at City Point is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 63 Restaurants in Hopewell
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Description: Bringing river front dining back to Hopewell! The Boathouse at City Point has incredible scenic views of the Appomattox and James rivers
Reviewed 22 June 2018

The restaurant has great food; however their wait service was terrible, and we had to basically park in a ditch because the parking lot was completely full …. Yet there were plenty of open tables and we were seated immediately. We could have paid $5 for valet parking but chose not to.

If you only go here for the food, you will be fine because the food is very good ….. and as the manager put it when we complained… “Well that is half of the battle”.

Our cocktails showed up at different times 10-15 minutes apart, and my drink was definitely not what I ordered. Our entrees showed up in the middle of our appetizers, even though I made a point to request plenty of time between…..and our dirty appetizer dishes remained on our table stacked at the edge of our very small table for our entire meal. I asked for extra tarter sauce 2 different times and never got it. I finally got up and walked to the kitchen myself, and that is when I encountered the manager.

The manager acted like he was concerned, but I did not feel any sincerity.

For a meal for 2 over $100 (that only included 2 cocktails) we were not pleased and likely would not return.

Housepitality F, Guest Relations Manager at The Boathouse at City Point, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi Terry. We are sorry to hear about your experience at The Boathouse at City Point and we have shared your concerns with our management team. We hope that you will reconsider giving us another chance to make a better impression in the future.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

We went here for a late evening meal, great atmosphere and the staff were welcoming. Food did not measure up. The shrimp that came with my wife's salad were small and few, It was just under $20 and the salad was stingy as well. I ordered a crabcake sandwich and side salad. The salad came with a small crabcake on it. Server didn't hear me say sandwich. She took it back and made good. The side salad was about the same size as my wife's dinner salad. The crabcake on the bun was much larger than the one they took away. It was average in taste. It had gluten free filler that makes it a little mushy in texture. Craft beers were the hi-light. Service was good other than the miscue on my order.

1  Thank George K
Reviewed 16 June 2018

This was my first visit to the Boathouse but it will not be my last. Took my husband for an early Father’s Day dinner. We waited about 10 minutes to be seated. We did have reservations and didn’t mind that they wanted to make sure things we ready. The atmosphere is wonderful. Customers have a choice of dining inside or outside. I personally recommend the outside because of the beautiful views. There are bars inside and outside as well. The food was delicious. It was cooked perfectly and served hot. The prices are reasonable, considering there was a party of 5. My only concern would be the waitress was training so we had to wait a little longer that what I suspect is usual for our bread and food. Otherwise, no complaints at all.

I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a wonderful evening out in a place with a fantastic atmosphere.

1  Thank Shauna M
Housepitality F, Guest Relations Manager at The Boathouse at City Point, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for sharing your feedback with us. We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your husband's early Father's Day dinner with us and that all of the food was so delicious. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Amazing views (if you go during the day or have window seating) and delicious food! We have been twice, the second visit was an impromptu anniversary lunch and everything was amazing! My husband ordered the special and i had the crab cake stuffed shrimp! Amazing!!! For our first visit, my husband was pleased with the salmon, however I ordered the shrimp and grits and I was not impressed (this is one of my favorite dishes and whenever it’s offered, I usually order it..) Overall, a great dining experience.

Housepitality F, Guest Relations Manager at The Boathouse at City Point, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and for sharing your feedback with us. We're happy to hear that you have enjoyed your visits and we have passed your concern regarding the shrimp and grits along to our chef team. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I was in Hopewell on business and looking for a place to have a late lunch and found The Boathouse. The crab cakes were awesome and the service was wonderful. It was a rainy day, but they do have outdoor dining overlooking the river. I can't wait to come back on a sunny day.

Housepitality F, Guest Relations Manager at The Boathouse at City Point, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the crab cakes and the the service was wonderful. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and we look forward to seeing you back again on a sunny day!