“Old World Charm & Hospitality”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Old World Charm & Hospitality”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I took my wife for her birthday to enjoy the natural hot springs and spa, but was
pleasantly surprised with outstanding service and hospitality with old world charm!
The hotel looks like something out of the roaring 20''s, but the rooms were spacious
and had all the modern conveniences. The Jefferson Pools were relaxing as was
spa, but we had the most fun on the hikes around the mountains. Their naturalist,
Brian, took us on an adventure into one of the prettiest valleys I have seen in this
country that included 12 waterfalls and a tropical forest! We thoroughly enjoyed our
and will definitely be back. I would highly recommend their restaurants and world
class golf courses as well.

Room Tip: I would upgrade to the King suites for the view and it was the best value.
Green Features: Their restaurants all serve sustainable dishes. The hotel has also been awarded for it's green practices with their staff and with educating their guests.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Homestead Resort is very elegant and high end. It has beautiful buildings and the natural setting is to die for. The landscaping is great and very well done. There is an incredible array of things to do, ranging from the spa (which has been famous for over 200 years), to golf, to shooting to falconry, to tennis, to croquet, and to many more. There are also many quiet areas where you can sit, read, and sip a glass of wine if you like. It is tough to be bored at the Homestead. The rooms are very nice. There are high ceilings, big comfortable beds and nice bathrooms. There are a few signs of wear, such as spots of rust on metal baseboard heating units, some small cracks in tile in bathroom tile. But given the scale of the place (it is huge) I don't fault that much at all. The food is incredible, and I will review the restaurants separately, but there is nothing to fear but the bill from eating at the Homestead. As to dress for dinner, it ranges from coat and tie for the main dining room to purely casual in other venues.

In a nutshell, this is a wonderful place, very comfortable, and very expensive. The huge staff and size of physical plant help explain cost level, so I am not at all saying that it is overpriced or not worth it. But visiting the Homestead is not something we can do very often. Every year or two, would be a treat,however.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EdinVA09
Nc
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed here in April 2014. It was a great time of year to be in Warm Springs. There are lovely places to hike. The warm springs are a must to experience. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and historic. There are many small rooms in lounge in and read, play cards, just relax. I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I came here over Labor Day weekend 2014. I am still trying to figure out why people voluntarily pay $250+ per night to stay here. This is the most outdated hotel (I don't care if it's a historic landmark). They don't even have central AC but instead have AC units which don't work very well as our room was so muggy. When we first checked in our carpet, bed and sofa all had stains. We told the front desk and they "upgraded" us to a suite. It was hardly an upgrade as the suite was pretty bad as well. We wanted to get massages since we had heard good things about the spa but they were all booked. We looked at the area with the "hot springs" water and it looked mediocre. We went to the indoor pool which at least was heated, but that's all it really had going for it. We went to the Jeffersons Restaurant for dinner one night and it was extremely overpriced and not even remotely worth the money. Then we went to their Labor Day cookout which was $55 per person and all the food was cold and bland. WHY would you serve fried chicken when you know it's going to sit out and get cold? And that price didn't even include drinks -- we paid $50 for a mediocre bottle of wine. On the day we left we went to their cafe to grab a few breakfast sandwiches and they were sold out of the Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit. Upon checkout I find that they tried to charge me $14 for a lunch that I never had. So I had to call and get that situated the next day. So yeah, we will NEVER be back.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Sapna B
HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We apologize for the aspects of your visit that could have been better. We rely heavily on receiving guest feedback to ensure we are providing the best resort experience possible and truly appreciate you taking the time to send your comments. We will continue to work on the areas of your concern and hope that you will visit us again in the future so we can show you a true Homestead experience.
Roanoke, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Always enjoy the stay at the Homestead. They have a great family atmosphere and they always make you feel like family. Their swimming area is great for kids of all sizes. Water slides, lazy river and a great area for toddlers. They always have something for the whole family to do together. One of my favorite places to stay.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

If my intention was to rate the atmosphere and incredible surroundings of this historic resort, it would easily be 5 stars, but I have to involve the other things as well, like you know food, service, amenities and the likes.

The drive to get here was quite scenic and can be an adventure in itself if you don't have GPS. Now that Omni has taken over, they really need to do a better job of placing directional signs within a 50 mile radius (like the exit on I-81 for starters) to at least try and direct people to this resort, unless that is, they don't want incidental visitors. Once you do arrive though, the grandeur of the palatial hotel makes up for the long drive. I opted to self-park in one of the 2 small lots near by, you can valet if you please. Upon arrival, several staff members are always around to assist you to get around and the main lobby area is very welcoming, especially in the midst of Winter it's extra cozy (this isn't my first time here).

Up in the rooms, it's pretty much a clean standard issue experience as with just about any other hotel. I suspect you wouldn't want be wasting your time in the rooms anyway, too many activities await. We actually never turned on the TV the entire 3 days, that says something considering I am a TV junkie. Don't be surprised to find the occasional Jurassic era cockroach in the main hallways, it happens, they're harmless.

Didn't golf, but did play some tennis and briefly checked out the pool and activity area. This part was great. The (clay) tennis courts were free to reserve and were a pleasure to play on with awesome mountain views in the background, no issues here. There was a croquet area with corn hole set up as well which was a fun little break on the way to the Casino to grab a bite to eat. The Casino was great, relaxing environment, great service, food was good and of course full bar service. Don't be confused now, there is no gambling in this casino, not even slots. This is however, where you go to set up your tennis or golf reservations. Once again, some signage would have been helpful, our group had to walk for 15 minutes to figure that one out.

So much more I can say, but let me get to my least favorite aspects that give this place 4 stars. The breakfast area, which isn't cheap mind you, was just a playground for kids to run around. The unruliness wasn't my biggest problem though, it was the fact that it seemed like utter chaos to get my food from the multiple buffet lines, worst of all, pancakes were completely out within minutes. You would think one of the hottest breakfast items would be quickly restocked, but nope, I went without pancakes sadly. Perhaps an adults-only area for the breakfast crowd would be nice, some of us come here to get away from kids and screaming, just a thought.

I'm pushing over 3000 characters now for this review, so I'll stop at this final note: this place has become less of an adult retreat that it was 6-8 years ago to more of a full blown family resort atmosphere, so keep that in mind if you want a quiet escape from your hectic life. This isn't the only resort in VA.

2 Thank Wombosi703
Thank you very much for continuing to be a valued guest of ours. We do recommend that all guests driving to The Homestead use the directions we have on our web site. Please accept our sincere apologies for not feeling we provided the same experience that you had in the past, but we assure you that our focus on guest services, quality of our dining outlets and overall guest experience has never been more concentrated. We really appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your thoughts pertaining to this last trip and we have reviewed your comments with our staff. We hope you will continue to visit us and if I may assist you in the future with a reservation, please contact me directly at (540) 839-7570 so I may ensure an enjoyable stay.
Leslie R. Tune
Resort Manager
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our 3 day stay at the Homestead. We expected a stodgy old Hotel , but found just the opposite. The room was spacious and very quiet. WE ended up eating at the Wine Bar both nights and had the best soft shell grabs I have ever had. My wife's shrimp and grits were outstanding ..Had a great time playing a round of golf at the Old Course. We
look forward to returning soon ---

1 Thank Travelowls
The Anderson Cottage Bed and Breakfast
The Inn at Mountain Quest
The Inn at Mountain Quest
#1 of 6 in Marlinton

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!