“Rude staff”

The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hume B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This house with 10 rooms was built in 1877 by John Marshall, first Chief Justice. It has been renovated (ac, heat, plumbing) and sits on 4200 acres of gorgeous land. This is a working farm with cattle; horses are available to ride on trails. When we checked in, no one offered to help with bags. The room was charming, but no individual temp. controls. Free wine & hors d'oeuvres are from 4:00-6:00. At 4:25, the hostess was just beginning to gather things to put out. Wine, cheeese, fruit. Guests mingle over drinks. There was a young couple just married the previous day; another, a woman travelling alone, and another couple in their late 40's early 50's who were clearly in the smitten stage of their dating. Although there were 14' ceilings and a working fireplace (no wood), the bathroom was TINY. The woman who showed us to the room explained there was also a communal bathroom down the hall. We were descending the staircase; I spotted a decorative tea pot on the windowsill which I thought might be Italian, so I carefully turned it over to see. I then heard a woman bark up the stairs at me CAN I HELP YOU??? I said no, everything's fine.

With 7 people drinking wine, and only 1-1/2 bottles offered, we asked for more. Dirty looks were exchanged between staff. Long story short - the staff was kibbitzing and begrudgly set out a minimal amount of wine (mediocre).

This is the part that I find inexcusable: With an extremely large dining room for the full breakfast, Only ONE table was set. This forced us all to sit together to eat! Fine, I didn't mind the cocktail hour thing, but the smitten couple sat at a table and were told to move. The newlyweds wanted to eat alone; c'mon staff, this is laziness at its most severe. We ecountered all kinds of rude behavior, except from Whitney, with whom we made reservations.
She was helpful. For the $385 chaps and chardonnay package (including visits to 3 wineries, one of which was closed on Mondays - and we wwere there on Monday). I would never go back, and we are Marriott Gold level members. If you don't like people, don't work in a B&B!!!

Room Tip: Insist on something healthy for breakfast. We were offered pastries, and stuffed french toast. Carbs...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank p8umpkinseed

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I miss it already! The folks at the ranch were so helpful and friendly it felt like home, but it was Hume! You won't find a more beautiful setting in the states, it was acre after acre of lush rolling green hills scattered with cows and horses. A weekend away was totally restorative. My only suggestion would be to mow the grass several days before an outdoor wedding, not the day before if possible. I feel badly for the people to had to clean up the grass out of our room after us.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Our trip was wonderful and the staff incredible! The lady who helped with our reservation (Whitney I think was her name) was knowledgable and made me feel like she truly cared about our comfort and safety as we were going to be arriving late and driving quite a ways. Check in was fast and the staff ready to take care of anything we asked. Did I mention how beautiful everything was? The cottage was lovely and the breakfast delicious. They even printed out maps for us to get into Washington, D.C. We will most definately stay here again should we come this way.

A must to stay at if you are in the area!
Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful - Marriott got it right with this place.

Room Tip: The Cottage was lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The scenery was fantastic, but the room that we stayed in was not clean. The bathroom tub and floor looked as though it had never been cleaned or vacuumed. We had to get in the car and go down to the Wal-Mart for cleaning supplies. The chairs outside on the small patio area of the Fairfield Inn Suite, just outside the main house looked as though it had urine stains on them (Which may have been from being outside in the rain)

When we took a tour of the Manor House one of the room’s comforter (white) had ketchup stains on it and the Inn Keeper said it won’t come out. You mean to tell me that they do not have another comforter to put on to replace the damaged one. Why is Marriott trying to skimp on the quality of the ranch?

If Marriott is going to charge the amount of $219.00 for a room at the Ranch then pillows and comforter should be top notched.

If you are planning on going there, make sure that your room is clean smells.

I am very concerned that Marriott would run such establishment.
There is enough room for a spa and fitness center

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank pepperjack49
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We loved this quiet and relaxing escape at an Inn. We needed a break from the hectic life in the city with the kids and this was the perfect place.
I was hesitant to stay here because the pictures of the rooms were pretty lousy on the website. However we were very pleased! We stayed in the Fiery Run room in the carriage house. I appreciated the up to date room. I don't like B&B antique feel, I like a new room the standards of Marriott and that is what we had...nice bed, decor (pottery barn ish and simple). We found it delightful to not have a phone in the room and had fine cellphone coverage to check in with the kiddos back home.
My other pet peeve of B&Bs are the chatter with random people. I was pleased that the staff was friendly and polite but not interested in chatting for long periods of time. If we needed anything we could get it (they had free snacks and non alcoholic drinks in the pantry area). The wine and cheese was relaxing to enjoy on the front porch rocking chairs. We visited the Rappanhock Cellers in the afternoon, played shuffleboard, then sat on the rocking chairs with a bottle of wine and enjoyed the quiet country feel. The breakfast was delicious and I again enjoyed having a quiet table for two in the morning.
The one negative is that we could hear our neighbors talking in the next room but it was not disruptive. The other reviews mentioned cleanliness. While there were some grass clippings on the floor, I think this is more due to having wood floors on the ground floor next to a farm. The rest of the room was very clean and simple.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the carriage house due to its more modern feel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Let me start off by saying that the ambience is amazing. The views are astonishing. I took so many pictures. I walked the grounds and was overcome with great serenity and peace. The morning sounds of waking up on a farm was music to my ears. I was greeted with the most pleasant innkeeper. She toured me through the common area of the house and recommended a great restaurant for eating dinner. The pantry was filled with snacks (chips, popcorn, water, soft drinks, and fruit), and I was pleased to learn there was an early evening wine, cheese and fruit service. The 3-course morning breakfast was very tasty and filling.

The however...I do know that when staying on a ranch, there will be grass, bugs, and dirt. BUT...my floors had not been swept. There was grass in the carpet, dirt over the floor, hair and dead bugs on the floor. The innkeeper did come over and sweep the floor. I opened the refrigerator and there were 2 opened water bottles. Luckily, there were 2 beds because the sheets and pillows on one of the beds still had hair on it (I know that the hair could have attached during the washing process) but still...yuck. The sheets had spots on them and the white comforter had ketchup stains and stained throughout. Actually, the bed looked like someone had slept in it and made it before I checked in. I took pictures. Definitely not Marriot quality that I expect and know.

I think it was just my room because other than that, my stay was exceptional.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Basics: Located in the lovely community of Hume wineries dotted all along the country roads in Hume, Virginia; tWith a name like Marriott in the country side, I was exceited and yet surprised to hear they operate a B&B. I gave it a try.

First Impression is amazing. Reminded me of entering a cowboy western style ranch.
However I arrived with no one to great me. Later, someone eventually checked me in, and I got settled.
Their is an air of odd suspicion I scented from the staff. I cant really explain this. I can only try to tell you I felt like I was checking into the Bates Motel and being watched.

Service was satisfactory. Was later surprised to find out a wine/cheese hour was happening. Wish I knew, I only enjoyed the last 5 minutes, but neverthe less, a nice surprise.

Next day: Went out to hit the wineries for my round of reviews. Lots of strong opinions from the Marriott Staff before I left for my road trip with girl friends. Thought this was once again a little to Bates Motel weird for me...

Would I recommend or return: No.
Likes: The drive into the Ranch. WOW.
Dislikes: Hospitality and overall attitude.
Handicap accessible: Yes.
Groups or large functions: Maybe - a little confusion on when you can bring larger groups.
Price: Very Expensive
Other: Horseback riding is available. All in all, a very strange attitude with the hotel staff; Everyone was on their guard with our group as if we were the enemy. Still wondering what that was all about. One girl friend believed that they thought we were all lesbians, which we are not, but shouldn't make a difference. Maybe because Marriott Company is a moreman family they feared we were siners? Dont know. Anyways, be forewarned no room service, and no meal service at all at this hotel/B&B property. Prepare to eat out.
No Pool, No Spa , No Dinning on site! SHOCKED about this part.

VINO VIXEN

Room Tip: Call in advance / Its an adventure
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank vinovixenbabe

Been to The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!