“maybe its names rio grande”
Review of La Esmeralda

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Esmeralda
Cuisines: Mexican
Atlanta, Georgia
“maybe its names rio grande”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

like the other review said, name is wrong, next to mex gro store and 2 doors from napa auto parts.
full mexican menu, cleaner than most mex restaurants.
friendly servers, fahitas are great.

• Visited October 2013

Davidson, NC
“May be confused on this one”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We dined just yesterday at a restaurant whose name appears to be Rio Grande, but which is adjacent to the Esmeralda Spanish grocery store. It may be that the name changed. Anyway, the restaurant next to the store (and it's an auto parts store on the other side, so I think this is the right place) is where we dined. My wife the health nut had the Pollo Yucatan (chicken grilled with squash, onions and peppers - flour tortilla on the side) and liked it - lighter than a lot of Mexican food, well cooked and well portioned. We shared an order of guacamole which she also favored - I thought it had a bit too much sour cream, but it was certainly fresh, not "store bought," and tasty. I had a soft chicken taco which was generous and fine, and a chile relleno which was probably THE BEST CHILE RELLENO I HAVE EVER HAD! I was stunned - this is a standard dish I use to measure Mexican cuisine & restaurants, and I find most places go so heavily on cheese and breading that the chile gets lost. This one downright featured the chile, which was delicious, had character, was obviously very fresh, and had just enough zing to work. There was no meat in it, the breading was light, and the cheese a complement rather than a heavy. I have eaten in a lot of Mexican restaurants in my time, and this is an understated gem. We were camping in the area, just looking for a meal that we didn't prepare ourselves, and found this pretty much by noticing it driving by - it looks absolutely typical Tex Mex from the outside, and the extensive menu is ok, but so what-ish. The service was prompt and friendly, all the Mexican beers priced the same as the U.S. ones - at $2.50 @ - out the door with two full meals and four beers for under $30. Complimentary chips and salsa standard, but oh my, that relleno!

• Visited September 2013