“Family of four”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sesmarias
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
“Family of four”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Came home yesterday after a 9 night stay at the Baia grande with husband, 7 year old and my 1 year old. Hotel was ok, very clean and spacious although our room was a little crowded with a portable bed and a travel cot but we still had enough space. The staff were very helpful, pleasant and polite, housekeeping came in every day made beds and cleaned. As a family we all enjoyed the food served in the main restaurant at breakfast/dinner, a very good choice of different dishes but if you want fresh fish/shell fish head into either the old/new town where there are some good restaurants. The hotel had a bbq on thurs which they held outside around the pool area, the food was lovely but we were attacked by millions of mozzies!! We had to abandon our meal and go indoors, such a shame as they had entertainment too. I know the hotel have no control with regards to the mosquitoes so be prepared and take some spray! Maybe they could put citronella candles on the tables or something that repels the little critters! The only issue I had was that when my husband booked the hotel with 'on the beach.com' it stated that the hotel has a kids club and a playground and they have neither! I did point this out to a receptionist who informed me it was there other hotel in the Algarve that has these facilities which was a disappointment. My 7 year old was fine, happy to play in the pool all day but my 1 year old would have benefited from these facilities. The beach which is approx 10-15 min walk away was lovely, small but not crowded and there is a restaurant there too. The only other point to make is that you are a bus/taxi ride away from the main town, with small children its nice to be able to take a walk after dinner or whenever and have a little bit more too see/do. The hotel welcomes families and was very friendly but personally I think it is more suitable for couples or families with older children.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your visit and for your comments about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you and your family had a good time with us.
I am sorry for the experience with the mozzies. According to the Portuguese authorities the problem is now solved, but on the safe side, we will be having citronella candles in every table on the next couple of weeks on BBQ nights. We want that our clients enjoy totally this special evening.
We never had a Kid Club at Baia Grande. I will do my best to clear this issue with so this situation does not repeat itself.
+351289583500

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We found that the staff were always ready to help (most of them)
The place is clean and there is plenty of food choice.
Some updating needs to be done to bathrooms as shower is fixed and no extractors are working
The air conditioning does not work properly and it is hot at night
Extractors in all hotel toilets need to work as the smell does not go away for ages
Wi-Fi not available in rooms at all and on the reception works only some times.
Better ventilations system required in all hotel and in the restaurant (maybe it is not switched on)
The above things need addressing and the rest is great.

Room Tip: Higher floor and Ocean - Pool view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your visit and for your comments about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you had a good time with us.
Please be informed that we have changed our internet system and is working perfectly. We expect to have internet in all the rooms by the end of September 2013.
I passed your comments about the extraction systems to our maintenance department
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just returned from a week away and it was nice. The shuttle bus to town could do with having a return slightly later even as you have to get a taxi back which is about 10 Euro's. The restaurant's around the hotel are slightly high but if you walk towards the beach there are affordable lovely places. The staff were pleasant but seemed tired and we had to wait 40mins one night to be served at the bar. A relaxing hotel but if you go to the beach get there by 9.30 as it gets really busy or wait till 12/1 when it gets less busy.

Room Tip: We had a pool view room which was brilliant a defiant must.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your visit and for your post about Baia Grande.
I very happy that overall you had a good experience with us.
I appreciate you comments about the shuttle bus, regrettably it is something that will not be feasible in the short term.
We are at the peak of the high season; we may be a little tired but we still have plenty of energy to our clients. I am sorry for that episode at the Bar that is an unusual situation that is not according to our standards.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I really enjoyed my time at this hotel. I went for a calm and relaxing holiday and that is exactly what I got.

The staff are very pleasant and are helpful whenever possible. One cleaner in particular was very nice and always said good morning when I walked past her.

The breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of variety, including fruit, croissants, cereal and warm food like bacon. I found that it got particularly busy later into the morning so I would recommend to go before 9.30am. The outdoor space was clean and there was plenty of seating available by the pool and in the sunshine, shaded areas were also provided.

I do feel that the floors in the bedroom and bathroom could have been more thoroughly cleaned as a dead insect lay in the bathroom for the last two or three days of my holiday. Also the corners near the window of the bedroom were slightly dusty and had a couple of cobwebs which I only noticed when the water from the hose the window cleaner was using leaked onto the floor creating a small puddle. Luckily I didn't keep anything near there! I did mention this to reception in case they were unaware of the problem.

The shuttle bus was efficient and regular enough for me. It wasn't far into the town where there are some great places to eat, especially by the beach.

I have already recommended that my parents go there for a peaceful holiday, I also would visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool for the best views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your visit and for your post about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you had a good experience with us and enjoyed your vacations.
I am sorry for the situation with the cleaning of the room. I passed and discussed this situation to our head housekeeper. We work very hard to avoid any situation like the one you describe but sometimes, regrettably, some details go unnoticed.
Thank you very much for recommend us to other follow travellers.
I hope to see you again at hotel Baia Grande.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Baia Grande Hotel is superb. The staff are excellent and attentive, the pool is great and if you're looking for a holiday away from it all it's ideal.

As we were B&B we had to look further afield for decent restaurants which became costly. However, we were grateful overall not to be confined to half or full board restrictions as we got to see more of the area. Also, the evening entertainment in the hotel wasn't great - although not terrible.

A lot of reviews mention getting a pool/sea view. This would definitely be worth it - we had a room labelled 'garden view' and it wasn't so much 'garden' but more 'car park'.

Overall, fantastic hotel for a relaxing week away, but just be aware of the lack of public transport, or hire a car if you want to explore and have more freedom.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a pool/sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your visit and for your positive comments about Baia Grande.
I very happy that overall you had a good experience with us.
The Algarve is such a beautiful region that to hire a car is always a good option to explore the surroundings.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Absolutely everything we were looking for in a summer hotel. Friendly and attentive staff, good facilities, clean and well-maintained pool area, good access to local beaches, varied and enjoyable evening entertainment (especially weekly barbeque with local music and dancing). The hotel staff misinformed us regarding our meal plan but resolved the situation in a considerate and satisfactory manner. We would definitely recommend this hotel for families and those looking for a peaceful, relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying extra for a sea view!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your visit and post about Baia Grande.
I am pleased that we reached your expectations during your stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet you during you stay with us and do my small part to improve your stay.
Thank you very much for recommend us to other travellers.
Castleford
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Huge room at front of hotel, huge balcony that we could have fitted the whole family on! friendly staff, huge choice at breakfast. A very big plus-there were plenty of sunbeds. Within easy range of restaurants -plenty of choice for dinner.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Muvver57
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your positive review about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you and your family had a good time with us.
+351289583500
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesmarias
Hotel Topazio
#16 of 154 in Albufeira
PortoBay Falesia
PortoBay Falesia
#6 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Baia Grande? Share your experiences!