“Great Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sesmarias
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for 10 nights and loved it! The hotel is very quiet in the evenings but it offers a free shuttle bus into the old town 3 times a day. The one at 7 was perfect to go out in the evenings. It cost around €8 in a taxi home. We were happy to stay a bit out from the main tourist areas as we wanted a quiet relaxing holiday. There were a few restaurants a few minutes walk from the hotel and they were all really nice. The pool area was nice and we could always get a bed but to get one with an umbrella I would reccommend going down around 10.30ish. The breakfast was very good and there was a nice varied selection too. There is a small beach a 15 minute walk away and its nice and small and not crowded at all. The only downside for us was the wifi is not great at all and quite unreliable but I would still stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a room with a sea view, and it was nice and quiet!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your visit and for your comments about Baia Grande.
I am pleased that you enjoyed you time with us and were able to relax.
I see that you have discovered Rabbit beach. It really is a small beautifully beach. We have plenty of more like that one around Albufeira. I am sure you will discover them on your next visit.
I am sorry for the internet, but I can inform that we have changed our internet system and is working perfectly.
+351289583500

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 20 August 2013

After 3 days without WIFI connection, there is NO solution from the hotel Manager. This is too poor for a pretended 4 stars hotel.
breakfast is slightly varied and not particularly well organized. the restaurant is small for the volume of guests. sheets were changed once a week, towels are old and the cleaning is poor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank fernando m
Dear Client
Thank you very much for your comments about Baia Grande.
I can understand your feelings about the internet. As I told you during you stay we had a major problem with our internet service. We had the solution but that solution had timing.
Please be informed that we have changed our internet system and it is working perfectly.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We chose this hotel for our week's holiday on the basis of previous trip advisor reviews: it scores well for quality, cleanliness, pool (plenty of loungers) and value. Baia Grande did not disappoint on any of these fronts. Would definitely recommend a car though, as relying on the shuttle bus or taxis is time-consuming and the costs can add up. The hotel is a little 'sedate', even soulless in the evenings - which is fine if you want a quiet time. We only stayed on a B&B basis so can't comment on the quality of the evening buffet. We did eat in a few times - in the Piano bar or Pool bar and costs were not too bad, especially once you've allowed for transport costs. (It is possible to eat and drink a lot more cheaply in the old town if you want to though, as there are just so many places catering for the tourists.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your visit and for your post about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you enjoyed you vacations with us.
I agree with you about the car. Although we have our shuttle service and the taxis, to rent a small car is always a good option
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Came home yesterday after a 9 night stay at the Baia grande with husband, 7 year old and my 1 year old. Hotel was ok, very clean and spacious although our room was a little crowded with a portable bed and a travel cot but we still had enough space. The staff were very helpful, pleasant and polite, housekeeping came in every day made beds and cleaned. As a family we all enjoyed the food served in the main restaurant at breakfast/dinner, a very good choice of different dishes but if you want fresh fish/shell fish head into either the old/new town where there are some good restaurants. The hotel had a bbq on thurs which they held outside around the pool area, the food was lovely but we were attacked by millions of mozzies!! We had to abandon our meal and go indoors, such a shame as they had entertainment too. I know the hotel have no control with regards to the mosquitoes so be prepared and take some spray! Maybe they could put citronella candles on the tables or something that repels the little critters! The only issue I had was that when my husband booked the hotel with 'on the beach.com' it stated that the hotel has a kids club and a playground and they have neither! I did point this out to a receptionist who informed me it was there other hotel in the Algarve that has these facilities which was a disappointment. My 7 year old was fine, happy to play in the pool all day but my 1 year old would have benefited from these facilities. The beach which is approx 10-15 min walk away was lovely, small but not crowded and there is a restaurant there too. The only other point to make is that you are a bus/taxi ride away from the main town, with small children its nice to be able to take a walk after dinner or whenever and have a little bit more too see/do. The hotel welcomes families and was very friendly but personally I think it is more suitable for couples or families with older children.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your visit and for your comments about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you and your family had a good time with us.
I am sorry for the experience with the mozzies. According to the Portuguese authorities the problem is now solved, but on the safe side, we will be having citronella candles in every table on the next couple of weeks on BBQ nights. We want that our clients enjoy totally this special evening.
We never had a Kid Club at Baia Grande. I will do my best to clear this issue with so this situation does not repeat itself.
London
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We found that the staff were always ready to help (most of them)
The place is clean and there is plenty of food choice.
Some updating needs to be done to bathrooms as shower is fixed and no extractors are working
The air conditioning does not work properly and it is hot at night
Extractors in all hotel toilets need to work as the smell does not go away for ages
Wi-Fi not available in rooms at all and on the reception works only some times.
Better ventilations system required in all hotel and in the restaurant (maybe it is not switched on)
The above things need addressing and the rest is great.

Room Tip: Higher floor and Ocean - Pool view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your visit and for your comments about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you had a good time with us.
Please be informed that we have changed our internet system and is working perfectly. We expect to have internet in all the rooms by the end of September 2013.
I passed your comments about the extraction systems to our maintenance department
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just returned from a week away and it was nice. The shuttle bus to town could do with having a return slightly later even as you have to get a taxi back which is about 10 Euro's. The restaurant's around the hotel are slightly high but if you walk towards the beach there are affordable lovely places. The staff were pleasant but seemed tired and we had to wait 40mins one night to be served at the bar. A relaxing hotel but if you go to the beach get there by 9.30 as it gets really busy or wait till 12/1 when it gets less busy.

Room Tip: We had a pool view room which was brilliant a defiant must.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your visit and for your post about Baia Grande.
I very happy that overall you had a good experience with us.
I appreciate you comments about the shuttle bus, regrettably it is something that will not be feasible in the short term.
We are at the peak of the high season; we may be a little tired but we still have plenty of energy to our clients. I am sorry for that episode at the Bar that is an unusual situation that is not according to our standards.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I really enjoyed my time at this hotel. I went for a calm and relaxing holiday and that is exactly what I got.

The staff are very pleasant and are helpful whenever possible. One cleaner in particular was very nice and always said good morning when I walked past her.

The breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of variety, including fruit, croissants, cereal and warm food like bacon. I found that it got particularly busy later into the morning so I would recommend to go before 9.30am. The outdoor space was clean and there was plenty of seating available by the pool and in the sunshine, shaded areas were also provided.

I do feel that the floors in the bedroom and bathroom could have been more thoroughly cleaned as a dead insect lay in the bathroom for the last two or three days of my holiday. Also the corners near the window of the bedroom were slightly dusty and had a couple of cobwebs which I only noticed when the water from the hose the window cleaner was using leaked onto the floor creating a small puddle. Luckily I didn't keep anything near there! I did mention this to reception in case they were unaware of the problem.

The shuttle bus was efficient and regular enough for me. It wasn't far into the town where there are some great places to eat, especially by the beach.

I have already recommended that my parents go there for a peaceful holiday, I also would visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool for the best views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Thank you very much for your visit and for your post about Baia Grande.
I am glad that you had a good experience with us and enjoyed your vacations.
I am sorry for the situation with the cleaning of the room. I passed and discussed this situation to our head housekeeper. We work very hard to avoid any situation like the one you describe but sometimes, regrettably, some details go unnoticed.
Thank you very much for recommend us to other follow travellers.
I hope to see you again at hotel Baia Grande.
Paulo Dias
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesmarias
Falesia Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,169 reviews
Natura Algarve Club
Natura Algarve Club
#28 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Baia Grande? Share your experiences!