“Disappointing”
Review of Baia Grande

Baia Grande
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sesmarias
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Myself and my daughter are just back from a week in Baia Grande, after dropping everyone else to there hotels what a shock it was,like out of a Horror movie out in the middle of no where.
It's a big Hotel but no personality and no way home from home. We were waiting to check in so had a look at the pool, it was freezing so never had a swim and the indoor pool was cold aswell. The view from our room was a car park and we were told if we had a pool view it would cost €5 a night extra. The free shuttle bus was a smelly bus and only ran certain times which was a pain. We got shuttle to the beach at around 11 and had to hang around till 5 the longest day ever because beach had no beds or umbrellas with just two restaurants €9 for kids pitza. Hotel bar was empty and expensive, so NO thanks to ebookers for sending me to the middle of no where. Never use them again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank 1325Debbie
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for you recent visit to Baia Grande and for your review.
I am sorry that we did not reach you expectations during your stay with us.
Regarding the issues about Baia Grand that you remark please let me clarify the following:
The localization of the hotel is well advertised. I advise all our guests – namely the ones that use this web site - to confirm the localization of the hotel before they make a booking
Our outdoor pool is not heated. Our indoor pool is indeed heated and it is kept around 27 to 30º Celsius all year
During you stay we allocated you the type of room you reserved. To move to a superior room had a cost that you decline to pay..
Our shuttle bus does not “only ran certain times”. There is an advertised timetable that we follow.
Reading your review it seems to me that your main complaint is with your travel agent and not with Baia Grande. I think you should have been my assertive with them rather than take in on the hotel.
+351289583500

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Just returned from a three week stay at Hotel Baia Grande. We both thoroughly enjoyed.
Horatio our very splendid bartender was first class, what a gent.

Would highly recommend and will certainly be going back.

Room Tip: We were in room 233 which we found great, no sun in afternoon, however, that suited us as it was nic...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank buttercupdaisy

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to review Baia Grande.
I am glad that you had a good time with us and that you would recommend us to other travellers.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Spent four days here and it was lovely. Very clean hotel and pleasant staff. Nothing within walking distance but there is a free shuttle to and from the town and also the beach. We have learned from experience that outside pools are freezing this time of year so we were looking forward to the indoor pool and jacuzzi. Although it was stated that both were heated they were not and after buying two swimming caps we couldn't use them. So bear in mind bring caps with you or you won't be able to use the indoor pool. That said we still enjoyed.

Room Tip: Choose a pool view room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Maureen J

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and for you review.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed you time with us.
I would like to clarify the following:
Our outdoor pool is not heated.
Our indoor pool is indeed heated and it is kept around 27 to 30º Celsius all year.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I feel compelled to write this,my first review, as it is a mystery to me how so many people are giving this hotel five stars particularly as they follow in quick succession after one bad review.

In fairness if you plan to hire a car and an indoor pool is not important, you may well be fine at this hotel especially in summer. However if you're travelling solo in winter and wish to explore using buses and by walking you may feel trapped. I do not feel confident to drive abroad by the way .

Pluses - spacious rooms; good-sized balcony nice views
Pleasant staff
Good food particularly salads and desserts
Wi-Fi is free in the lobby area and works well
Christmas Day is quiet but New Year's Eve they really excel with the gala dinner music
& wine
Minuses -
Location. Shuttle runs to town but is restrictive. By the time you locate a bus to go and see somewhere other than Albufeira it is time to get back on the shuttle as there are no buses near hotel. Once in town you are stuck until the shuttle brings you back. In winter it's a problem. One is often hanging around with nothing more to do or buy! The manager tells Mercury to make it clear about the location so this is not his fault.

Indoor pool. Very small even by hotel standards but above all covered in weird black spots. Although I was assured it is regularly cleaned and inspected I did not to wish to swim in it .

Cleanliness. Hotel reception constantly polished and cleaned seems to me to be a "performance" since in my room under the bed at least two months of fluff I had to ask to have it vacuumed and have Loo cleaner put down my loo. Balcony railing had bird droppings along it which I cleared myself. Standard improved only when I complained to manager.

Bed linen and towels. I have never stayed in a hotel with such old threadbare linen and towels. I got decent bedlinen sometimes once they knew the manager had been informed.

Bar. it is a big, comfortable bar area. Drinks are too expensive though - you expect hotel prices but as has been noted here you pay even more. Coffee is nothing like as good as many I had in town for only a euro. Even their happy hour is not entirely happy at just one third off! As a result bar too quiet.

I tried very hard to get moved within the first two days mainly due to the location and the state of the pool but the rep for Mercury did not help me. It could be that some issues have now been resolved. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
15  Thank Mountolive1

Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and your review.
I am glad that overall you had a good stay with us.
Regarding the location of the hotel, once more, I advise our entire guests – namely the ones that use this web site - to confirm the localization of the hotel before booking.
If you want explore the Algarve, car is always advisable whether you stay at Baia Grand or any other hotel.
I regret to know that you had a few issue with the cleaning. From what I gather form you comment they were quickly managed.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have often stayed at this hotel in Winter and, for us, the hotel just keeps getting better and better. The staff are particularly friendly and we see the same faces year after year.
The food is good value and we would certainly recommend half board in Winter since local restaurants are either closed or empty at this time of the year.

Hiring a car at the airport is very reasonable in Winter and we think that this is essential in order tour the rest of the Algarve whilst using the hotel as a base.

To summarize, the Baia Grande is brilliant value and we keep seeing the same guests year after year which confirms the fact that other people think the same.

5  Thank lancepor

Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for recent visit to Baia Grande and for your loyalty to us.
I am glad that one more time you enjoy you stay with us. I hope to have the pleasure to receive you again at Baia Grande

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have stayed at Baia Grande many times and have found all the staff helpful,friendly and professional,nothing is too much trouble.
The hotel is clean,comfortable and well placed for a relaxing holiday. It is also centrally situated in the Algarve which enables easy exploration of all other areas.
We have recommended it to many friends,all of whom have been delighted with their stay and, like us, return regularly.

8  Thank Brightonions2014

Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and positive review.
We appreciate you loyalty to Baia Grande and the kind words about our staff and service.
Thank you very much for recommend us to other travellers.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Although the best part of a kilometre from the sea, the position and orientation of the hotel is such that a large number of the rooms enjoy a nice 'sea-view' from their balconies. There is a small beach which (directions needed from the reception staff!) is a 10 minutes walk. On either side of the beach there are cliff walks with an abundance of wild flowers and birdlife. In places, the path goes right to the edge of the cliff, so the walker should turn back or proceed with care! Bedroom, bar-lounge and restaurant were all spotlessly clean and comfortable.. There is also a lounge on the top floor which nobody was using at the time of our stay. Nor was the pool being used, although the warm weather was enticing a few people out to the pool-side areas. The food was very good and restaurant staff friendly and efficient. Staff were excellent in all departments, putting up valiantly with my attempts to converse in Portuguese. The shuttle into Albufeira stops at a point from where it is a 5 - 10 minute easy walk down into the heart of the town. There is a car hire office on the right as you go down (and indeed one in the hotel) in case you want to drive to places like Lagos, Sagres, Alte and Silves.

Room Tip: Top floor 'sea-view' has the best aspect.
6  Thank Rod W

Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for your visit to Baia Grande and for your review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you very much for your praise to our staff and service.
+351289583500

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesmarias
Alfagar II Aparthotel
#1 of 152 in Albufeira
PortoBay Falesia
PortoBay Falesia
#6 of 152 in Albufeira

Been to Baia Grande? Share your experiences!