“This is not a 4 star hotel !. .”
Review of Baia Grande

Baia Grande
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sesmarias
blackpool
“This is not a 4 star hotel !. .”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Just returned from 7 night stay at Baia Grande. Booked through Secret Escapes who originally advertised pool / sea view room which we got but only after parting with another€35.Whilst we expected outdoor pool to be cold we were surprised to find indoor pool too cold to swim. All meals are self service buffets which could only be described as tepid in temperature.Quality of breakfast was passable but quality of dinner was poor and definately not 4 star standard. In 7 nights I had to ask staff for - cups, knives, glasses, bread, potatoes,eggs and sausage at different times. We knew prior to our holiday that the hotel was out in the country but were dissapointed that there was absolutely nowhere to have a stroll to in the immediate vicinity

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank jandjblackpool
Paulo D, Manager at Baia Grande, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for you review about Baia Grande.
Regarding you room view we allocated you the type of room you had reserved with your travel agency.
Our outdoor pool is not heated. Our indoor pool is heated and it is kept around 27 to 30º Celsius all year.
Our buffets are maintained at a constant temperature. We can understand that some clients prefer to have their food hotter. If that is the case they can ask the waiters to heat the food or use the devise that is available at the restaurant for that effect.
I regret to know, and I apologise, for the situation you describe in the restaurant. I already transmitted you comment to our restaurant manager.
I hope to have the pleasure to receive you next year at Baia Grande
manager.bg@baiaalgarve.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Isolated, limited shuttle bus service into Albuferia which is not within walking distance.
Hotel facilities are OK
Drink prices EXPENSIVE should be 30% lower all day in stead of only one hour between 6to7pm.
Hotel lacks friendly atmostphere in need of a entertainments team.
Buffet Breakfast food needs to be much Hotter some days just about warm.
Evenig buffet was 22Euros Use the shuttle into Albuferia much better value in many resturants.
As I said Could do much Better..

Room Tip: do not have 303 small balcony compared to others
1 Thank SueSpen
Dear Client,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Baia Grande
I sorry to know that enjoyed your time with us.
AS I had the opportunity to transmit you during you stay with us I advise all our guests – namely the ones that use this web site - to confirm the localization of the hotel before they make a booking.
The price of our drinks is in line with any other four star hotel in Albufeira. Please note that we only serve premium drinks in our bars.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

we have stayed at this hotel for a month jan/feb for the last two years we no complaints at all with this hotel, management and staff cannot do enough for you we have found it spotless lovely sized bedrooms great views from balcony.the food is excellent and all the staff in the dining room especially maria look after you well. special thanks to dora on reception who is always there to help we have already booked for next year P.S paulo keep practicing the the bingo beans heinz 57 ha ha tom and lorraine green

Room Tip: pool view the best
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to review Baia Grande.
I am glad that you had a good time with us and that you would recommend us to other travellers.
Thank you very much for your praise to our staff and service. They are highly appreciated.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my daughter are just back from a week in Baia Grande, after dropping everyone else to there hotels what a shock it was,like out of a Horror movie out in the middle of no where.
It's a big Hotel but no personality and no way home from home. We were waiting to check in so had a look at the pool, it was freezing so never had a swim and the indoor pool was cold aswell. The view from our room was a car park and we were told if we had a pool view it would cost €5 a night extra. The free shuttle bus was a smelly bus and only ran certain times which was a pain. We got shuttle to the beach at around 11 and had to hang around till 5 the longest day ever because beach had no beds or umbrellas with just two restaurants €9 for kids pitza. Hotel bar was empty and expensive, so NO thanks to ebookers for sending me to the middle of no where. Never use them again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank 1325Debbie
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for you recent visit to Baia Grande and for your review.
I am sorry that we did not reach you expectations during your stay with us.
Regarding the issues about Baia Grand that you remark please let me clarify the following:
The localization of the hotel is well advertised. I advise all our guests – namely the ones that use this web site - to confirm the localization of the hotel before they make a booking
Our outdoor pool is not heated. Our indoor pool is indeed heated and it is kept around 27 to 30º Celsius all year
During you stay we allocated you the type of room you reserved. To move to a superior room had a cost that you decline to pay..
Our shuttle bus does not “only ran certain times”. There is an advertised timetable that we follow.
Reading your review it seems to me that your main complaint is with your travel agent and not with Baia Grande. I think you should have been my assertive with them rather than take in on the hotel.
wales
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Just returned from a three week stay at Hotel Baia Grande. We both thoroughly enjoyed.
Horatio our very splendid bartender was first class, what a gent.

Would highly recommend and will certainly be going back.

Room Tip: We were in room 233 which we found great, no sun in afternoon, however, that suited us as it was nic...
5 Thank buttercupdaisy
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to review Baia Grande.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Spent four days here and it was lovely. Very clean hotel and pleasant staff. Nothing within walking distance but there is a free shuttle to and from the town and also the beach. We have learned from experience that outside pools are freezing this time of year so we were looking forward to the indoor pool and jacuzzi. Although it was stated that both were heated they were not and after buying two swimming caps we couldn't use them. So bear in mind bring caps with you or you won't be able to use the indoor pool. That said we still enjoyed.

Room Tip: Choose a pool view room.
7 Thank Maureen J
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and for you review.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed you time with us.
I would like to clarify the following:
Our outdoor pool is not heated.
Our indoor pool is indeed heated and it is kept around 27 to 30º Celsius all year.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I feel compelled to write this,my first review, as it is a mystery to me how so many people are giving this hotel five stars particularly as they follow in quick succession after one bad review.

In fairness if you plan to hire a car and an indoor pool is not important, you may well be fine at this hotel especially in summer. However if you're travelling solo in winter and wish to explore using buses and by walking you may feel trapped. I do not feel confident to drive abroad by the way .

Pluses - spacious rooms; good-sized balcony nice views
Pleasant staff
Good food particularly salads and desserts
Wi-Fi is free in the lobby area and works well
Christmas Day is quiet but New Year's Eve they really excel with the gala dinner music
& wine
Minuses -
Location. Shuttle runs to town but is restrictive. By the time you locate a bus to go and see somewhere other than Albufeira it is time to get back on the shuttle as there are no buses near hotel. Once in town you are stuck until the shuttle brings you back. In winter it's a problem. One is often hanging around with nothing more to do or buy! The manager tells Mercury to make it clear about the location so this is not his fault.

Indoor pool. Very small even by hotel standards but above all covered in weird black spots. Although I was assured it is regularly cleaned and inspected I did not to wish to swim in it .

Cleanliness. Hotel reception constantly polished and cleaned seems to me to be a "performance" since in my room under the bed at least two months of fluff I had to ask to have it vacuumed and have Loo cleaner put down my loo. Balcony railing had bird droppings along it which I cleared myself. Standard improved only when I complained to manager.

Bed linen and towels. I have never stayed in a hotel with such old threadbare linen and towels. I got decent bedlinen sometimes once they knew the manager had been informed.

Bar. it is a big, comfortable bar area. Drinks are too expensive though - you expect hotel prices but as has been noted here you pay even more. Coffee is nothing like as good as many I had in town for only a euro. Even their happy hour is not entirely happy at just one third off! As a result bar too quiet.

I tried very hard to get moved within the first two days mainly due to the location and the state of the pool but the rep for Mercury did not help me. It could be that some issues have now been resolved. Hope this helps!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
15 Thank Mountolive1
Dear Guest,,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande and your review.
I am glad that overall you had a good stay with us.
Regarding the location of the hotel, once more, I advise our entire guests – namely the ones that use this web site - to confirm the localization of the hotel before booking.
If you want explore the Algarve, car is always advisable whether you stay at Baia Grand or any other hotel.
I regret to know that you had a few issue with the cleaning. From what I gather form you comment they were quickly managed.
+351289583500
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesmarias
Falesia Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,165 reviews
Natura Algarve Club
Natura Algarve Club
#27 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Baia Grande? Share your experiences!