“Relaxing short stay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sesmarias
Hertfordshire,United Kingdom
“Relaxing short stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed for a short break during August.I agree with other reviews, it is slightly annoying that you are charged for Internet in your room,the safe and to call a taxi from reception.However,it is a nice,clean and peaceful place to stay.I found the food to be very good and the chef's BBQ is excellent.On this night,the staff worked really hard and the traditional Portuguese dancing was great to watch.
One of the bar waiters is very good at walking around " looking busy" and comes across as a little grumpy but all the other staff are helpful and friendly.
You can get sun loungers which makes a nice change as there appears to be non of the usual early morning towel run brigade!!
I would come back for short break again and possibly hire a car to explore.

Room Tip: Can't comment on other rooms but our pool facing room was ideal.
Dear guest Jeanie144,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Baia Grande for taking you time to write this review.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us namely our summer barbeque
It will be our pleasure to receive you again at Baia Grande on a short break. I agree that a small car is the best ways to explore the Algarve and Baia Grande is a great place to use as base of operations.
manager.bg@baiaalgarve.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
west midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

After staying in many 4* hotels all over the world I cannot help but compare this hotel.

Things that could improve this hotel from an OK to a GREAT 4* hotel are as follows;

Some of the staff could smile or engage in conversation which would make your stay more pleasant.

The pool is FREEZING even in August, heating is essential.

The evening entertainment is awful (unless your in your 70's).

Have to pay for wifi in your room.

The breakfast buffet could have a waiter with a coffee (that you could enjoy drinking) serving at tables.

I did not have the evening meal but glad I didnt if the breakfast was anything to go by.

Although there was a shuttle bus it was not regular enough in the busy months.

The hotel itself is pleasing on the eye and clean but if you are looking for something more out of a 4* I would stay elsewhere.

Dear guest Marialent.
Thank you very much for staying at Baia Grande and for your review.
I am glad that overall you had a good stay at Baia Grande.
It will be our pleasure to receive you again at Baia Grande in the future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

i have just returned from staying in this hotel
+ is that the food and the Hotel are great the staff are informative and the waiters in the restaurant work really hard trying to ensure you get a seat.
- is that it is in the middle of no where, there is really no where to go, there are a couple of bars about 10-15mins walk away, the shuttle bus the hotel provides is inadequate it runs very infrequent,taxi's cost around 6-7 euros week days but the rate goes up at the weekend?
the beaches are in the middle of housing estates and can be very steep to get to and not disable friendly.

Room Tip: most rooms on the higher level will have a sea view if you ask for a pool view room
Dear guest Jackabee949,
Thank you very much for staying at Baia Grande and for taking you time to write this review.
I see that you had a good time with us during your stay and enjoyed our services.
Regarding the location of the hotel I see it as a big advantage since we are away from the crowded Albufeira, but I understand your opinion. For that reason we advise all travelers to check our localization before travel. Please let me clarify that there is a timetable for our shuttle bus and that we respect that timetable.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having travelled for more than 30 years in my profesionnal carreer worldwide, I have learned to distinguish a good hotel by a sniff off the nose. Comparing room rates in August in the Algarve, food and beverages quality, friendlyness, offered extra services like limousine, sauna, massage saloon, in-door swimmingpool, bycicles, panoramic penthouse view,library, newspaper shop, mini-bus etc. I can only conclude this is an excellent family hotel at the verge off the Albufeira nightlife centre, located close to the beach in a quiete residential area. Large outdoor swimmingpools for every age. Good kitchen, nice piano bar with pleasant music. Now discotec noises. Profesionnal atendance ad all levels.

Etienne Pauwels
Bombarral - Portugal

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Etienne P
Dear guest Etienne Pauwels,
Thank you very much for you recent stay at Baia Grande and for wonderful post.
We are delighted that you and your friends had a good time with us.
I am glad that we could make you stay with us a special one.
I hope to see again at Baia Grande in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute for a week in the sun. It has good facilities and a clean, spacious pool area with plenty of sun loungers. The rooms are a bit dated but are large and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. The cocktails were nice and the pool bar food was good.

On the downside though:-

- it is not close to Albufeira town or the larger beaches. There is a small pretty cove with a beach 15 mins walk away called Rabbit Beach with a bit of a hill on way back. There are only 3 shuttle buses to Albufeira a day which you need to book and the last one leaves quite early teatime (6.40pm during the week and 5.30pm weekends). To go at other times or get to other places or beaches you will wait about 30 mins on average for a taxi. One day we waited an hour for a taxi and another day the driver refused to take us to Vilamoura as it was too far so we had to order another. We heard a few people complaining about this.

- the breakfast is really good with plenty of choice but the coffee is undrinkable (from a machine too bitter and too sweet). The orange juice was not fresh and also too sweet.

- there is no iron in the room which is odd. They will iron things for you at a cost with min 24 hours notice. This means you have to plan ahead or iron everything which crumpled in your suitcase (which is pretty pricey at between 3-5 Euros per item).

- contrary to what we read on the website there is no A La Carte restaurant open. We went to try it and were told there is only the buffet. The buffet was ok but it felt like eating in a canteen with bright lights and no music. It was also not worth the price. You also can't eat or drink outside like it shows in the pictures other than one night where they do a BBQ.

We had a good stay though. I think it is more suited to families than to couples.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest TracyMacMurray,
Thank you very much for you recent stay at Baia Grande and for your comments.
I am glad that overall you had a good stay with us.
Regarding the location of the hotel I see it as a big advantage since we are away from the crowded Albufeira, but I can understand your point of view. For that reason we advise all travelers to check our localization before travel.
Please let me clarify that our shuttle bus runs 4 times to Albufeira, daily, and always with the same schedule.
At the restaurant we have two types of coffee – powder and grain. I regret to know that you did not enjoy them.
We do not have irons in the rooms due to security reasons.
Regarding our A La Carte Restaurant I would like to inform you that this outlet is currently not working. We already informed our business partners about this fact. Nevertheless in the main restaurant there is always an option, besides the buffet, to our guests.
Castleford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went to Baia Grande in July. Had a brilliant time, we stayed b&b as we wanted to get out and about on an evening.
Pool area was lovely and always clean (not sure the pool temperature was what was written on the board every day - but it was nice in 35 degree heat).
Pool area menu was nice - had toasties nearly everyday - they love their salt on chips though so if you don't tell them not to put it on before you get it!
Quite expensive for drinks - water was 2 euros for a small bottle, sangria was 5.50 but very nice indeed. Magners and other imported drinks were all over the 7 euros mark so we stuck to sangria most days.
The biggest disappointment was that the pool bar shut at tea time and didn't re-open on a night! There is nowhere to go for a drink outside on an evening and as the piano bar wasn't air conditioned we couldn't stand to sit in there. Why, with a hotel this far out of town did they not think that people would want to be sat outside on an evening in 30 degrees I cannot understand.
The only other problem we found was that it was so far away from the centre of town. There are lots of other comments on about walking into town but there is no way it is either a, near or b, safe. There is a pathway some of the way into Albufeira but it is like a dual carriageway and not safe especially not for children. It took about 7 minutes in a taxi to get to town so i would say a good few miles. Not a leisurely walk down a promenade as others have put.
The hotel has a little mini bus to take you either to the beach or to the old town and we just ordered at reception an hour before and went it was free and a good idea for during the day. I think the last one was about 6 in the evening so you could go to town there and just get a taxi home later. A taxi to the old town was 7 euros and we just got a taxi every night. The new town was a little bit more maybe 8/8.50 euros but worth going on an evening as at least we could sit outside then.
There is a secret beach but we only found it by accident. Beware of the restaurant there though it was 12 euros for a salad the size of a side plate boo :-(

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the car park which was a lot quieter than the pool area rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest Jane B,
I see that you had a good time with us during your stay and enjoyed our pool bar. I appreciate your suggestion to open the pool Bar until a later time.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I'm currently sitting in the piano bar of the Baia Grande, not looking forward to going home tomorrow and feeling compelled to write a review of this lovely hotel

Of particular note:

The cocktails here are amazing and if you're used to London prices then incredibly reasonable for the quality, whether at the piano bar or the pool bar. I can particularly recommend the kiwi caipirinha and raspberry martinis and a strawberry daiquiri by the pool is always a winner

The pool area is great, kept very clean, huge pool that never seems too busy despite a full hotel. Food at the pool bar is lovely and service very quick

Staff are very friendly and helpful. I'm going to give a shout out to Alberto in the restaurant and Paulo in the piano bar for being particularly charming

Rooms are spacious and clean and not too warm - we didn't have a balcony but didn't spend much time in the room so it didn't matter much

Breakfast is great, huge amounts of choice and amazing sausages. Even the scrambled eggs were good and I'm a total fusspot about scrambled eggs cooked by anyone other than me

Also lots of choice at the dinner buffet although an indication of the contents of some items in the salad buffet might be helpful as there was a bit of guessing going on! Food generally pretty delicious though

Other tips:

Make use of the shuttle bus into the old town, punctual and quick and worth it

Praia de Coelho is a lovely little beach just 10mins walk away. Do get there early as it fills up and isn't large. Albufeira beach is lovely and much larger but sure it gets very crowded later in the day

Bad points:

Ummmm, hard to think of any really. I did pay for the upgraded wifi which didn't work in my apparently lead-lined room. Worked everywhere else, even in the corridor outside the room. But only a very mild irritation and good to unplug anyway

So all in all 9.5/10 for a wonderful stay in a peaceful and relaxing hotel. If you want a strip of bars and clubs on your doorstep then this isn't the place for you!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank EssexDolly213
Dear guest EssexDolly213,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at Baia Grande and for you post.
It is rewarding to know that you enjoyed Baia Grande, namely our cocktails. Let me agree with you by saying that they are rally wonderful.
Thank you very much for your comments about our staff. They are the most important element of the hotel!
manager.bg@baiaalgarve.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesmarias
Falesia Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,115 reviews
Natura Algarve Club
Natura Algarve Club
#26 of 163 in Albufeira

Been to Baia Grande? Share your experiences!