“Old time resort experience”
Review of The Tides Inn

The Tides Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I admit to falling for that old time family resort experience. And I just like The Tides. We have been there several times over the years with other family members, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. It isnt the swankiest resort you'll find. Its more understated and comfortable, not at all stuffy. The staff is super friendly and helpful, not overbearing. Some have worked there for years. I've stayed in various rooms and all were very nicely appointed, most with beautiful views. Yes, the buildings are old and it is likely a struggle to keep them in top condition, but they are trying and for the most part succeeding. The golf course is a plus and will challenge good golfers. Even in winter there seems to be plenty to do, but just sitting in front of the huge fireplace is one of the nicest. The food is excellent, but try some of the other restaurants in Irvington and explore nearby towns. The Northern Neck is very historic and scenic, yet seems almost devoid of tourists. One of these years I hope to come back in summer to enjoy the pool and kayaks, but even in cold or rainy weather the Tides is a relaxing retreat.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Travel-with-Terriers
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Thank you for your review, sometimes reliable, comfortable, caring and charming will win the day.
I note you are travel with terriers and we would remind our future patrons that we can accommodate well behaved dogs in 8 of our rooms (We think 8 is enough at any one time at the resort)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The view is second to none, as the hotel is perched over Carter Creek, one of the most scenic tributaries in Virginia. The hotel is lovely and the food is pretty good. Dining rooms are spacious and the ambiance is charming. The rooms are nicely sized, but there is a musty/moldy smell to them. It's bearable and not much of a detraction. I suggest rooms on higher floors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was traveling with my mom and two boys, 7 and 9 and we stayed in a King Suite. Pull out doubls bed not ideal for two boys. King bed was nice. The room smelled a little musty - maybe it was the air conditioner.

The weather was terrible. Food at the restaurant was very nice, loved the Salmon entree and grits for breakfast were great! Lots of activities for adults and children. It would be ideal in nice weather. Staff was very responsive and accommodating.

Room Tip: We were in 215 and it had a nice view of the water, but we also looked out onto a flat roof - which...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ParticularPA

When travelling as you are, a double double room maybe better or a pair of interconnecting rooms.
I am sorry the weather was miserable, the East Coast is blessed with fabulous weather normally but it is the rain that makes the grass green and the flowers grow.
Drop me a line before your next visit and remind me of your review and my reply, we will try and make up for the bad weather

Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife and I made it to Irvington, VA for a beautiful wedding in the beginning of September. We arrived right around check in and our room was ready from the moment we got there. The Staff was incredibly friendly and eager to help. After getting directions to our room my wife and I made our way to an older looking building where we would call home for the next two days. The building has obviously seen better days and from the outside looked a little "Damp or Moist". The inside on the other hand was gorgeous. We had an end room which included a King Sized Bed, couch, and a rain shower. The inside was very nice and kept very clean. The Bed was so comfy that there were no problems falling asleep. The Next day we had tons of time to kill before the wedding. I want to remind you this is the start of September. I started the day off with 2 rounds of par 3 golf, which wasn't that challenging but was something different to do at a hotel. We also enjoyed going out on a kayak and a paddle board followed up with drinks by the pool. The Tides Inn keeps you occupied and keeps you busy during your day. The Wedding was held outside over looking the Rappahannock River and was beautiful and up on a hill with a magical view. The Dinner was scrumptious and everything was done perfectly. Then at the end of the night my wife and I took a trip down to have some s'mores, which were delicious, it had been so long since I had one. On our walk back to our room on the dock we looked up and saw more stars than I had seen in a Long, Long Time. It was the end to a perfect weekend.

Once we got past the dated look of the outside of the hotel the rest of the trip was amazing. Things are a little pricey and it is like being on a cruise as in you just give your room key and then get charged for things, so if you are having fun you may not realize until it is a little to late. Overall, I had a wonderful weekend and my wife did as well. There is tons to do and plenty of time to just get away. Since the Tides Inn is not really near anything it is a true getaway, and I would love to go back someday!

Room Tip: Corner Rooms have the large showers, but no bathtub.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Oriolesfan

On a clear night we have no light pollution and the stars are glorious.
Our par 3 is very much a beginners course designed for fun but we also have a superb 18 hole championship course which will challenge you as much as you like.
Personally the white tees are enough of a challenge but we have blue and gold for the more adventurous.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Enjoyed our two night minimum stay at the Tides Inn. Dinner was lovely at any of the restaurants but really loved the Oysters and She Crab soup. Perfect! Fresh fish and top that off with S'mores at 8:00 PM. Great view from our room on the 3rd floor. Subtle elegance with lovely accommodations. The couch in our suite has seen better days, but the rest was great. Sunday brunch served on the terrace in the morning and a sit under the tree in the afternoon to read a book was so relaxing and beautiful. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We rode the complimentary bikes to town for a few hours. Yes, pricey...but for the location, service and atmosphere, worth it. We will be returning soon!

Room Tip: stay in "odd numbered rooms with a view of the bay
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

It isn't easy to get to Irvington, Va, which journey there makes your stay all the more rewarding. The Tides Inn has a special reputation in Virginia, and there's a good reason for it. The service is top notch. This resort is small. It is situated on a lush promontory on in the Rappahannock River. The main hotel has a rather large restaurant, view room, conference rooms, small gift shop and guest rooms. There is a large patio and lawn with lots of tables, chairs, umbrellas, sofas, fire pits, and a gorgeous view in all directions. It is a great place to have drinks, as the bar is very small inside. There are several detached buildings with guest rooms, conference space, fitness center, marina, and spa. The grounds include a chip and put course, frisbee golf course, tennis courts, grass volleyball, swimming pool (not heated in Oct. except for the weekends), croquet, lawn chess. A fleet of bikes is available anytime, as well as use of kayaks, paddle boats, and paddle boards at the small marina. The pool and casual restaurant are at the waters edge, where there is a small beach with loungers and fire pit, bag toss game, and boardwalk. There is a sailing program for all ages, and a very well-kept pontoon boat rental at reasonable prices. The small marina had about 6 large yachts as well as other boats of varying size and purpose. This is waterman's paradise, if you like to boat, fish, sail or just cruise around on a small vessel like a kayak or paddle board, its an incredible opportunity to do all of that. The grounds can be circumnavigated in about 15 minutes walking, less by bike. The small town of Irvington is also walking/biking distance and has a couple small specialty shops, galleries, and restaurants. There is a small vineyard and restaurant nearby. This is oyster country, but crabs, shrimp, and rockfish are also plentiful. Virginia wine is really making incredible strides as high quality, and the Virginia wines selected to be served at the Tides Inn were very, very good.
Our room was in Lancaster House, with a beautiful view out of the window. The maintenance crew was in the process of painting the exterior, and I hope that means that the whole building is in the process of getting a Little TLC. Our room was very nice. We don't have any physical limitations, but getting in and out of the shower was very tricky. If you have any difficulty transferring, make sure to tell reservations. There were a few small repairs needed, for instance to the screen door. The patio furniture on all the rooms was in good enough repair, but just seemed too large for the patio and not up to the quality or the look of the rest of the beautifully appointed rooms. The mattress and bedding were superior, comfortable, beautiful and fresh. There were two robes of the right size! The television was situated inside a cabinet, but it could not be viewed from the bed, you had to sit on the sofa to watch. We never turned the television on, but I saw that there were a lot of channels available. We had one dinner and one breakfast buffet. The dinner highlight were two perfect jumbo lump crab cakes of the highest quality. The breakfast had a great selection of fresh fruits, breakfast meat, oatmeal, grits and scrambled eggs. I loved it.

I also visited the spa without any advance reservations. I had a wonderful massage from Beth, who was very skilled. Karen provided an excellent pedicure. The prices were resort prices, but I felt it was excellent service and skill. The spa is tiny, but they do a great job with the small space they have. Very professional and comfortable. I saw the staff go completely into high gear to prepare for a bridal party, which made me feel happy to be an onlooker. My only complaint is that the "spa music" gets a little old after the first 20 minutes. I like classical or piano jazz mixed in. Other than that, I highly recommend it.

We visited a couple restaurants, including the Dog & Oyster, the Local and Merroir. I will review all of these separately, but I will tell you now to make it a special priority to go the 10 or so miles to get to Merroir at Lockslies Marina. It is the home of the Rappahannock Oyster Company and a most wonderful restaurant. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I think every room has a good view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank marcyro

I think you have said it all and we just say thank you and come back soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband & I stayed @ The Tides for a long weekend. They had a special stay 2 nights & get 1 night free! Which was a great deal! It's pet friendly, which was very nice! They offered dog sitting/walking which we took advantage of & was great! The resort is beautiful! Alittle pricey.. but I guess that to be expected! Food was great! We didn't take advanage of all that the resort offers, but we still had a fabulous time! Staff was very friendly! If I had to complain about anything.. it would be that there was not a mini fridge in the room! There was a mini fridge, but it was locked and filled. Overall great stay..time & would go back again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review I know we will see you again soon.
Our rooms have a mini fridge with goodies and drinks but we do not have fridges. I would not like to just have a freestanding fridge in the rooms but maybe on our next remodel we can try and fit a custom fridge into the furniture.
Gordon Slatford

Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kilmarnock
Flowering Fields B&B
Flowering Fields B&B
#1 of 2 in White Stone

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!