All reviewsnorthern neckthe cottagesevening cruisethe main housechrist churchsaltwater poolcrab cakesperfect getawaygracious hospitalityselect registrybed and breakfastpleasure of stayingbreakfast was deliciousboutique hotellong weekendtwo night staysmall room
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My fiance and I spent his birthday weekend with the wonderful staff at Hope & Glory. I wanted to check out the northern neck and was impressed with their reviews. They did not disappoint. Yes, it's pricey, but it's worth every penny. We loved Detention, the private bar, and Meseret (the manager) was amazing to us. DO NOT skip the chance to eat at the restaurant; Chef Anne is amazing and the prix fixe meal we had Saturday night was in my top 5 meals of all time. We loved the outdoor bathroom and took a nice long soak in the claw foot tub. We did the cocktail cruise on the boat and enjoyed the trip very much. Peggy and Dudley are not just owners; they are involved daily with the inn and the guests. Our room was pretty small and I would rent another one when we return, but we spent very little time in the room itself. I loved it and hope to return there for a wedding!

Room Tip: the cottages at the inn offer the most privacy; the rooms inside the school house can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Wow! We spent a weekend exploring the northern neck and decided to stay at the Hope and Glory after reading the amazing reviews (plus I really wanted to see Christ Church, which is right outside of Irvington). The Inn is a former schoolhouse and has been charmingly restored. I loved the bright yellow exterior and the chic, yet relaxed interior spaces. We were there in the height of summer so if you enjoy flowers, well, you are in for treat because the garden spaces are lovely. If they are offering the cocktail cruise, you should take it, we had a great time on the river. We also took advantage of the Inn's bikes and explored the adorable town of Irvington. Another indulgence: dinner at the restaurant--what a lovely meal we had. Breakfast on the terrace was another highlight. And best of all, Peggy and Dudley--the owners. They were so friendly and pleasant. The experience was relaxing, yet special and I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

A few years ago my husband and I were given a gift certificate to Hope and Glory for our anniversary from our very thoughtful daughter. We reciprocated by taking her back there last Saturday for her birthday. It is often stated that the best compliment is imitation. The first time we stayed at Hope and Glory my husband and I stayed in a beautiful suite in the main house. It was just charming. The attention to detail is perfect. The Inn is squeaky clean. Make sure that you get sent to detention. Don't ask, just go and see for yourself. Peggy and Dudley have vision, and superb taste in everything that is classy, yet understated. The operative word is "relax"....and we did.

This next time, we stayed in one of the cottages because we brought our two small dogs. This was cottage 4. Perfect for our 2 small dogs, and 3 adults. Looks like a doll house. Yes, physically the Inn is just beautiful, but what adds to the beauty are the staff. Peggy and Dudley are like family (good family). Meseret is just fabulous. I truly believe that she is the Martha Stewart of Irvington. Thanks for putting up with our constant changes! She feels like an old friend. We all hope to return many times more. Oh, the dinner was outstanding!, breakfast yummy, and the cruise on the creek, just plain relaxing. Go once and you will be smitten by the desire to return again and again.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are charming and give you the option of using the living room etc. You can do that with the cottages as well. The cottages do give you a bit more privacy. We stayed in both and were happy with our choice each time. You can't go wrong. Just Go!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Again, what a treat! This was our second time at Hope and Glory celebrating our birthdays, and the second time around was just as special as the first. Sorry we missed Peggy and Dudley, but the Inn is in great hands with Meseret Crockett. She is such a gracious hostess and is always ready to help in any way. Chef Ann Kirkmeyer delivered such an array of great meals, we were always in awe as to what the next course might be. Can't wait for her cookbook to come out. The staff assisting both Meseret and Ann were equally superb, ready to help make our stay as pleasant as possible. Managed to visit the "tent cottages" and pool area and had a wine tasting at the Dog and Oyster Vineyard this time. Hope and Glory is a special place that allows it's visitors and guests to really relax, regroup and be refreshed whether you're in your own cottage (our favorites), at a gracious meal of out of this world cuisine, or "in Detention" for being naughty! We look forward to our next visit. --jim & patsy mcgroarty

Room Tip: While the main house rooms look bright, colorful and cheery, our favorites are the cottages in the courtyard behind the Inn. Sitting on the front porch of a cottage with a glass of "Front Porch" pinot noir with a fall afternoon sun beaming down amidst beautiful flowers and sharing this time with a wonderful spouse...as they say...priceless!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Just returned from our second stay at Hope & Glory. We are already planning our next visit.
Not only is the Inn delightful but the employees can't be helpful enough. Meseret Crockett
is a ray of sunshine and an asset to the inn.

The unique decorating, excellent food and great owners make this a one of a kind place to stay.

I would highly recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple