“OK - I don't get all the hype”
Review of Hope and Glory Inn

Hope and Glory Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Irvington B&B and Inns
Norfolk, Virginia
“OK - I don't get all the hype”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hope and Glory was nice but nothing spectacular. The area is adorable and the people at the inn were nice, but it is quite pricey and I really, really don't get why everyone loves it so much. FYI...There is no TV in the rooms. I think this should be stated on their website - if it is, I couldn't find it anywhere. I rarely get to relax and watch TV and this was a treat I had been looking forward to.....Since there was no TV, I thought I'd relax on the balcony and read. It was after dark, so I needed a little light in order to read. There was a fixture on the balcony ceiling, but it didn't work. I called the main desk and she said the light was not functional!!! For $270 a night, I they could have done a little better.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KathleenR1
dpatteson, Owner at Hope and Glory Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Hi Kathleenr1,

We are most disappointed that we were unable to delight you. We are bit perplexed that your visit occurred almost a year ago and why you choose to write us now. Our Manager does remember you and felt she did her best.

You were kind enough to identify two things for us to reflect on for improvement.

You would have liked a TV in your room.

The Hope and Glory is a place to disconnect from life’s stresses; and, our guests have thanked us for 13 years that most of our accommodations, by design, do not have TVs.

We considered adding “no TVs” to our website and decided it was not necessary because we do list all of the amenities in our rooms. Should someone wish a TV, we have two for everyone’s viewing. We also have vineyard accommodations called tents which do have TVs which was an option for you when you made your reservation or while you were our guest.

Because we believe the word “no” (as in “No TVs”) is inhospitable and not in our vocabulary; using that word in print on our website was more so unacceptable.

The balcony ceiling light was not functional.

The light on your porch you wished for reading was not functional on purpose. We learned from our guests that it attracts bugs, especially in August; and, it shines, often annoyingly, in the room next to yours which also shares your balcony.

To make us a better hotel, we have asked our staff to more sensitive to those who miss TVs and the outdoor light. A little bit of explaining can go a long way.

Please come and stay with us again.

Dudley and Peggy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We went to H&G Inn to celebrate my birthday!! The owners were away on vacation during our week long stay June 10 to June 15. However, the staff was wonderful.
Meseret was very pleasant and friendly and greeted us warmly upon arrival.  She escorted us to the cottage.  She recommend fine restaurants and we enjoyed every place we had dinner.  She was attentive, kind and sweet. The main Inn and our cottage (#6) were beautiful and very comfortable,  We got a good night's sleep on the very comfortable bed.  Our cottage was immaculate.  The privacy was good and we appreciated the convenient parking and ease of carrying  our luggage a short distance to the cottage. The breakfasts every morning were, as they say, "to die for"!!!  Beautiful presentation by their wonderful "chef" Karen (who by far was the most helpful during our stay), and a delicious and fulfilling breakfast every morning!!!  It was especially thoughtful of her to ask if I had any favorite foods I would like to be served for my "birthday breakfast".  I told her Eggs Benedict--and it was excellent!!! The dinner served at the Inn by Chef Ann was excellent. Every course was presented well and quite delicious!!!   It was a very nice touch when my delicious sticky toffee pudding was served with a candle to celebrate my birthday and with guests singing Happy Birthday---sweet!!
The pool and the vineyard was wonderful!!!  Kudos to whoever maintains that pool!  It was immaculate and not over chlorinated (which destroys bathing suits!!).  We had a lovely time relaxing by the pool--it was great and we were the only ones there!  The vineyard experience was also nice.The cocktail cruise was wonderful and the weather cooperated so we were able to take in all the beauty of the area while exploring the Rappahannock River--awesome!!!!  Overall, we had a wonderful time and it was a great way to celebrate my birthday!!

Room Tip: We had cottage 6 which is nice and secluded in the back of the garden.
2 Thank Joanne D
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We've lived in VA since the mid 1980s and just learned about Irvington a month ago. This tiny town is nestled in with other historic towns in the VA Northern Neck along the Rappanhock River. Irvington offers a touch of history, shopping, dining, flat land to bike, a vineyard, oysters and more. For us, it all began at the Hope and Glory Inn.

We were welcomed by the owners, Dudley and Peggy, who then introduced us to Mezeret. She gave us a tour of the "whimsical and romantic" former school house and made sure we had everything we needed in our lovely yellow room with a balcony. Everyone shared their warmth, kindness and professionalism throughout our two night stay.

The grounds are dotted with plaques reminding us of important things like "breathe" and beautiful flowers throughout the front yard and surrounding the breakfast area. We found lots of little treasures inside and out. Anne's delicious dinner was such a treat! I'll try to recreate some of her meals using her new cookbook.

We drank some fabulous wines and ate roasted oysters nearby at the owner's vineyard called the Dog and Oyster Vineyard. The Pearl was my favorite white wine! Just a short walk away we floated in their pool flanked by a large wisteria.

It truly was an escape for us...just about 3 hours from Northern VA. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I imagine each room is uniquely decorated, equally stunning and comfortable!
1 Thank Carol D
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I decided on Thursday to see if the Hope and Glory had availability. The internet said no. I wrote anyway. And Mesert responded, call right away. I did and lucky for us a cancellation had just been made. By the time I finished speaking with Meseret I felt as though I knew her. She was so welcoming, accomodating and kind that when I did meet her I gave her a hug! 7 years ago we were guests and had cottage 3. We were lucky that the same cottage was available. The colors inside are pale yellow and blue with white, so airy and garden like. 2 bedrooms, living room and bath with a front porch and back terrace. Put in a kitchen, and I'm never leaving! Absolutely spotless. Robin, I don't know how she does it, makes sure everything is clean. She is friendly and offers to help and so kindly brought us ice both days when I was on my way to get it. Coming from the frenetic DC pace it was a welcome relief to have no tv, phone and internet. Replaced by sitting on the front porch, reading, talking and taking walks. Breakfast is wonderful and served at individual tables with umbrellas on the brick patio as the fountain cascades gentle water. New from our first visit is the chef, Ann, who serves a four course dinner. On Friday we enjoyed mussels to lamb to chocolate decadent. Each evening Ann plans a menu that delights lucky diners. Throughout our stay Meseret oversaw everything for us and all the guests to make sure we were happy and if she could get anything. And when something was needed, it was taken care of immediately. Before we left we made reservations for October in our favorite cottage 3...maybe by then Peggy and Dudley will have the kitchen in...and then good luck getting rid of me! :)

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with any room. Inside the whimsical Inn, all rooms are beautifully decorated. Ou...
2 Thank STTCC
Aspen
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed in one of the cottages and had a delightful experience. After reading many of the reviews before our arrival, we would concur with all who have had the opportunity to stay at this unique inn. The staff and owners are extremely helpful and professional. The breakfasts are quite good; however, the dinner is sensational. This inn is indeed a very special one.

1 Thank Presto18
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I've stayed at the Hope and Glory before, with my fiance. It's an understatement that we fell in love with the Inn itself - the way it felt, the sense of peace there, the beautiful grounds and all the fresh air. More than that, we fell in love with the people. I've written before about Meseret and Peggy and Dudley, the owners.

It was both of our second weddings and it was completely amazing. I work full time and have two children; my fiance is in the same boat. I mention this only because our time was limited. Because I had gotten to know Peggy a bit, I trusted her judgment implicitly. We worked out a budget and Peggy handled everything. Her entire goal and mission is to give the highest level of service to every person who has the chance to walk through the door. They only do a small number of weddings per year; I understand now why. The level of detail and attention we received was indescribable. Our family and friends were blown away by the attention they received.

I felt cared for at a very deep level. Every bump or issue was solved seamlessly and with minimal stress to me. We had some personal stress in our lives while there over our wedding weekend, and Peggy, Dudley and Meseret leant a hand and an ear whenever it was needed.

I would be remiss to not mention Ann. Her food the entire weekend was amazing. Each dish is prepared with the next dish in mind. How she manages to make simple foods taste like some exotic dish is beyond us. We affectionately refer to her corn on the cob as "corn crack".

Mesert's midnight pizzas, which she happily whipped up for anyone who asked, were also delicious. I will always treasure the memories I have of sitting in the quiet dining room, chatting with the staff. Special thanks to Robin for putting up with all of my family and friend's bizarre and frequent requests, and to Samantha who patiently embraced my OCD and sat for hours cleaning up some chalk writing that had smudged on the trip from Richmond.

We waited quite a while to get married, and when we did, we wanted something personal and intimate. We wanted something to blend our families. We wanted a ceremony that spoke to our commitment to each other and included the support our friends and families had given us. Dudley helped us craft the exact perfect ceremony, and his officiating of it felt like someone who'd known us for years was giving it.

Finally, there are some things more important than money. They understood and worked with our budget, but were direct about things we could not cut corners on. Without exception, they were right. We will go back for our anniversary, and hopefully many other times (we don't want to wait until May!).

We send much love and gratitude to the Inn and all those who helped make our long weekend there one of the most amazing experiences of our lives.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cristina S
Reston, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Hope and Glory Inn. Everyone we met--including the owners and the woman at the front desk--went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome. The facility is beautifully decorated and breakfast was delicious. Everything was just perfect, and I highly recommend this charming B&B!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GMZ1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kilmarnock
Ma Margaret's House B&B
Ma Margaret's House B&B
#1 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Hope and Glory Inn? Share your experiences!