“A charming place than refreshed my spirit.”
Review of Hope and Glory Inn

Hope and Glory Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Irvington B&B and Inns
“A charming place than refreshed my spirit.”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband and I came to the Hope and Glory Inn to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We had such a wonderful time !! Irvington is a sweet little town that is the perfect place to escape the busy city life - it felt so calm and peaceful. There are also a number of vineyards close by (including Hope and Glory's) that have a terrific selection of wines. I cannot say enough about how incredible the owners and staff were - there was nothing my husband and I wanted or needed that wasn't made available to us. Peggy and Dudley made us feel like old friends coming home for a visit and that is a gift often overlooked in our society today. I look forward to the next time I can visit.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank MERobinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed at the Hope and Glory at the end of July. We booked last minute and we took what they had left. A VERY small room on the top floor. It was clean and nicely furnished but you couldn't move. The bathroom was a closet. One person could barely fit in it.

The Innkeepers are lovely. They can't be nice enough. We were there the weekend of the second annual crab festival which we wanted to attend (it was across the street from the Inn). It was sold out and I assumed since the Hope and Glory was serving wine (more on this in a moment) we thought they would find us tickets. No such luck.

Hope & Glory runs a vineyard about a mile away from the Inn. It is also lovely. There are small cottages you can rent there as well. That's where the pool is. In the middle of the woods off property. Something they don't mention on their website.

As vineyard owners you would think when you checked in you might get free passes to a wine tasting. Not even a glass of complimentary wine.

I'm not a B &B snob, but honestly for the amount of money we paid per night, there should at least be cookies or wine and cheese at some point in the afternoon. Nothing.

This is a lovely B &B - it's just too expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: All the rooms have photos on line. It's just a question of how much $ you are willing to spend...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stacy_S_4
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were very pleased with our visit to the Hope and Glory. Our room (no. 3) was large and nicely furnished with an excellent bed and spacious private bath. bath. It had a semi-private balcony. The property was totally refurbished a few years ago by an innkeeper with excellent taste who obviously hired an excellent architect. Cottages are available in addition to rooms in the main building. The innkeepers themselves are very friendly and very helpful in identifying local attractions. The good (not great) breakfast was served in a lovely, shaded garden setting. We will visit again! We didn't eat dinner there but the dining room has been well-rated by others.

Room Tip: Given the location all rooms will likely be quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DAGTucson
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had a very nice stay in July 2013. Our room was clean and nicely decorated. The owners and staff were kind and very attentive. We went on the cocktail cruise on the Faded Glory which was fun. The cruise leaves from down the street so we used the hotel bicycles to get there. I was a bit disappointed to learn that the pool was over at the vineyard and not on the hotel grounds as it made it slightly more inconvenient. We didn't end up having time to get to the pool.
We had a very nice experience but I thought the hotel was pricey. Then again, I am a bit of a cheapskate!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jlrva
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed here this last Monday night and had a lovely visit. I can not say enough about the manager. Her warmth and spirit make you feel comfortable from the moment you step into the front door. My fiance is not a "B and B" fan to be honest and we typically stay in large hotels/resorts when we vacation. However, I really wanted the cozy and intimate feel of a smaller establishment for this short trip and the cottages seemed like a nice option. We stayed in cottage #1 and it was gorgeous. The inn was impeccably decorated and the gardens divine. We really enjoyed riding the bikes around town, to the nearby historical church and the winery. We dined elsewhere for dinner but had a relaxing drink and played a game of checkers upon our return. I absolutely loved breakfast served by the owner herself on the back patio. I was a bit disappointed that multiple restaurants and shops were closed since our trip was on a Monday/Tuesday, but we pretty much had the place all to ourselves including the pool the next day. That being said, I kind of felt like maybe it would have been nice had we been offfered an upgrade to a cottage with a kind bed or balcony. We literally were 1 of 2 tables at breakfast the next a.m. As for the value of this inn.... I can say that the nearby Tides Inn is less expensive for a weekday this time of year, but breakfast is not included. My only other complaint is that the pictures online are a bit misleading, as I thought this inn was on the water and definitely is not. Overall a lovely experience, but I can not say I'd spend 300 dollars to stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank JoeyandTinaCarney
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hope and Glory was nice but nothing spectacular. The area is adorable and the people at the inn were nice, but it is quite pricey and I really, really don't get why everyone loves it so much. FYI...There is no TV in the rooms. I think this should be stated on their website - if it is, I couldn't find it anywhere. I rarely get to relax and watch TV and this was a treat I had been looking forward to.....Since there was no TV, I thought I'd relax on the balcony and read. It was after dark, so I needed a little light in order to read. There was a fixture on the balcony ceiling, but it didn't work. I called the main desk and she said the light was not functional!!! For $270 a night, I they could have done a little better.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KathleenR1
dpatteson, Owner at Hope and Glory Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Hi Kathleenr1,

We are most disappointed that we were unable to delight you. We are bit perplexed that your visit occurred almost a year ago and why you choose to write us now. Our Manager does remember you and felt she did her best.

You were kind enough to identify two things for us to reflect on for improvement.

You would have liked a TV in your room.

The Hope and Glory is a place to disconnect from life’s stresses; and, our guests have thanked us for 13 years that most of our accommodations, by design, do not have TVs.

We considered adding “no TVs” to our website and decided it was not necessary because we do list all of the amenities in our rooms. Should someone wish a TV, we have two for everyone’s viewing. We also have vineyard accommodations called tents which do have TVs which was an option for you when you made your reservation or while you were our guest.

Because we believe the word “no” (as in “No TVs”) is inhospitable and not in our vocabulary; using that word in print on our website was more so unacceptable.

The balcony ceiling light was not functional.

The light on your porch you wished for reading was not functional on purpose. We learned from our guests that it attracts bugs, especially in August; and, it shines, often annoyingly, in the room next to yours which also shares your balcony.

To make us a better hotel, we have asked our staff to more sensitive to those who miss TVs and the outdoor light. A little bit of explaining can go a long way.

Please come and stay with us again.

Dudley and Peggy
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We went to H&G Inn to celebrate my birthday!! The owners were away on vacation during our week long stay June 10 to June 15. However, the staff was wonderful.
Meseret was very pleasant and friendly and greeted us warmly upon arrival.  She escorted us to the cottage.  She recommend fine restaurants and we enjoyed every place we had dinner.  She was attentive, kind and sweet. The main Inn and our cottage (#6) were beautiful and very comfortable,  We got a good night's sleep on the very comfortable bed.  Our cottage was immaculate.  The privacy was good and we appreciated the convenient parking and ease of carrying  our luggage a short distance to the cottage. The breakfasts every morning were, as they say, "to die for"!!!  Beautiful presentation by their wonderful "chef" Karen (who by far was the most helpful during our stay), and a delicious and fulfilling breakfast every morning!!!  It was especially thoughtful of her to ask if I had any favorite foods I would like to be served for my "birthday breakfast".  I told her Eggs Benedict--and it was excellent!!! The dinner served at the Inn by Chef Ann was excellent. Every course was presented well and quite delicious!!!   It was a very nice touch when my delicious sticky toffee pudding was served with a candle to celebrate my birthday and with guests singing Happy Birthday---sweet!!
The pool and the vineyard was wonderful!!!  Kudos to whoever maintains that pool!  It was immaculate and not over chlorinated (which destroys bathing suits!!).  We had a lovely time relaxing by the pool--it was great and we were the only ones there!  The vineyard experience was also nice.The cocktail cruise was wonderful and the weather cooperated so we were able to take in all the beauty of the area while exploring the Rappahannock River--awesome!!!!  Overall, we had a wonderful time and it was a great way to celebrate my birthday!!

Room Tip: We had cottage 6 which is nice and secluded in the back of the garden.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Hampton Inn Gloucester
#3 of 5 in Reedville
Ma Margaret's House B&B
Ma Margaret's House B&B
#1 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Hope and Glory Inn? Share your experiences!