“Very Romantic Inn with some glitches”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hope and Glory Inn

Hope and Glory Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Irvington B&B and Inns
Northern VA
“Very Romantic Inn with some glitches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

My husband, daughter and I stayed here as a last minute getaway before our second daughter was born last June. I had read an article about the Hope and Glory Inn in Mary Englebreit's Home Companion months before our visit and was so looking forward to visiting the Inn after the rave reviews in the article....we stayed in a cottage near the main house.

Pros...
We loved the privacy that the separate cottage offered so we did not have to feel as if our five year old daughter was bothering other guests.

The main house and the cottage decorations were lovely. Definately have to be a lover of shabby chic (which I am) to appreciate them. Extremely romantic setting.

Town is cute...fun to meander through the boutiques.

Cons...
High price....at the $300 plus per night that we paid for the room, I was disappointed to find a $2 each charge for the glass of diet coke that my husband and I requested for breakfast. We were not told about the charge in advance but even if we had been seems tacky to charge a guest for a glass of diet coke when they are already paying $300 plus per night for the room. We did not drink and juice, tea or coffee for breakfast (just the diet coke) so they would have saved a little money on our portion of those drinks anyhow.

The bath room was tiny...very shabby chicy which I don't mind but some might hope for a larger bathroom at the rates that the Inn is charging. The bath amenities were definately not first rate for this price...we got one tiny bottle of shampoo (not enought for three days and three people...two of them with long hair) and one tiny bar of soap....perhaps this issue has been remedied since our visit but I would definately hope for more luxury bath amenities than a Motel 6 at this price point.

• Liked — Beautifully romantic decor
  • Disliked — Value
5 Thank kerri53
dpatteson, Owner at Hope and Glory Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2007
Kerri53,

Of most importance, Peggy and I truly thank you for staying with us and recommending our inn to so many -

An amazing honeymoon, A romantic getaway, Girlfriend getaway, Older travelers, Families with young children, Families with teenagers, Tourists.

Although we remodeled our bathrooms this year, there is not much we can do about enlarging them since most of our cottages are historic structures; yet, we can address the other “cons”.

With regard to your next two comments, we wish you had brought them to our attention during your stay. Upon check in, we stress that we are here to serve you; and, if we have overlooked anything, please make us aware so that we can have had the opportunity to correct it before your departure

The posting of your diet cokes at breakfast was in error. We presumed that the soda charges were incurred at some other time during your stay. In reviewing your folio it appears that was a charge from our bar “Detention” which was most likely an error on our part. Please accept our apologies. Again, had you brought this to our attention, we would have removed them from your folio. We will still do so. Sodas are complimentary at breakfast along with limitless coffee, tea, hot chocolate and juice.

We pay a premium for our toiletries which are only top of the line; and, regret they did not meet your needs. Were you short in supply, we would have gladly brought you more; or, in your case, taken the time to find you what you wanted even if it meant a trip to the store in your behalf.

We were here to serve you during your stay; and, with notice, your needs would have been met immediately - this is the standard we set for our inn.

We look forward to your return and we thank you again for recommending us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
E&DLynch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2007

The service was first-class. Amazing ambiance and food.
Peggy and Dudley make this in one of a kind. Thier love for the inn is reflected in its charm, decor, cleanliness, beautiful gardens and outstanding service. I recommend this for anyone who truly wants a great experience in a romantic inn.

1 Thank E&DLynch
fairfax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

If your looking for the perfect getaway nothing is better then Hope and Glory. Lock up the blackberry, hop on a bicycle and feel like a kid again riding through the vineyards, enjoying the water, and GREAT food at the chefs table. H&G knows romance better then any other B&B.

H&G is a must!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank jsiege2
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

I've stayed at Hope and Glory three times in the past year and have never had anything but a wonderful time. This is the most beautiful and relaxing place I've ever stayed - a perfect place to unwind. But the best thing about the Inn is the people. In all the times I've stayed here, I don't think anybody has ever said no to any request I've made. Everybody on the staff is welcoming and helpful. The chef is incredible; I highly recommend the Saturday evening Chef's table.

Perfect getaway!

1 Thank remktr
D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

The Hope and Glory Inn was amazing. From the moment we drove up to the Inn, I fell in love. The beautiful flowers, the moon garden, the shabby chic decorations... One of my boyfriend's favorite things was a modern looking bar where we could have a drink later in the evening. Our room was small, but we never felt cramped because we had the run of the inn and gardens as well. (If you want more privacy, I would go for one of the private cottages - which were absolutely beautiful.) We opted for the Friday night crab cruise with all you can eat steamed crabs and shrimp. What is better than cruising around, drinking beer and wine, eating crabs and listening to Jimmy Buffett? For dessert, the best homemade oatmeal raisin cookies that I've ever had. We went for coffee and dessert (yes, another dessert because I needed chocolate too) at the Trick Dog Cafe. The dessert was great, and if we were staying another night, we would have definitely had dinner there. Took a shower outdoors in the moonlight, with twinkly lights and fireflies, and the branches overhead. It was heavenly. The next morning was a solid, if somewhat small breakfast, on the outdoor brick patio. Everyone there was friendly and accomodating. Loved it, and I'll be comparing every other B&B and Inn to it in the future. Would go again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank sunshineDC
Osprey, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2007

This was one of our best B&B experiences. The buildings are beautiful and the hospitality was fabulous. Peggy and Dudley made us feel like one of the family.

We stayed in a suite on the 3rd floor, a free upgrade from a queen room. Breakfast was served on the back patio each morning...a great breakfast by the way.

The grounds are private and inviting...including an outdoor private tub that we didn't try out but that could be very romantic. I wish I had someone getting married...this would be a fabulous place for the ceremony/reception.

We were looking at the area as a possible retirement site and Peggy and Dudley did everything to convince us that Irvington was the place!

• Liked — private suite on third floor...quiet and comfortable
  • Disliked — Breakfast at separate tables on the patio...I love interacting with other guests at a communal table
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2006

The grounds and decorating are beautiful, and the cottage concept is great as you aren't sharing walls. The problem is that they overlook important details that other Inns/B&Bs get right. For over $300night, I'd opt for the TIdes Inn if we wanted to be in the Northern Neck. Many people do rave, so maybe the problem is just visiting a lot of nicer Inns.

The details:
1) The bathrooms are cheaply appointed--from the fixtures to the amenties. The dreaded "conditioning shampoo" vs. two products, and they weren't replaced as we used them. Awkward layout. No hairdryer.
2) This is a subset of #1, but so surprising that I had to break it out. Only two bath towels for a couple. Of Motel 6 quality--sandpapery.
3) The pool is very nice, just a half mile at the most on the provided bikes. Once the Vineyard cottages are inhabited, though, I suspect it will be very busy. They don't provide pool towels, and there aren't baskets on the bikes, so bring your own and consider driving over.
4) No mini-refrigerator, ice, or turndown service.
5) Breakfast was okay, but at the very bottom of the pile compared to other places that we've stayed. Served precisely at 9, no hour window as at many places. No fresh fruit except for garnish, and one day our juice glasses were the size of shot glasses (even our neighbors at the table were laughing). If you have to eat indoors, and it does get crowded. The coffee is serve yourself, but only a few spoons were provided to stir. When I saw a fellow guest lick a communal spoon, I figured I'd wait until I sat down but there were no spoons at the table.
6) The outdoor tub is nice, but if you plan to use it, bring your own Lysol as they don't provide a way to clean it between uses. They do clean it each morning.
7) A tiny thing, but only one trash bin in the two-story cottage.

A lot of people do enjoy H&G, and it certainly isn't bad at all. But the service & amenities don't necessarily match the price.

Stayed July 2006
8 Thank InnTraveler
dpatteson, Owner at Hope and Glory Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2007
Before we address each of the “details”, we need to call attention to two factors:

1) We, the owners, were in New York during July and August focusing all that we had on cancer treatments. With the sole exception of this period of time, our Trip Advisor comments have been nothing but 5 circle praise. Yes, we were successful in curing the cancer.
2) We have been blessed with many wonderful reviews which have placed us in a category with some of the very best hotels in the world. Although not one of our guests has commented on certain details you addressed, we intuitively recognized that it would be in our interest to undergo some improvements that would further enhance one’s experience here at the Hope and Glory. Our winter work which is in progress includes
refixturing and refreshing our bathrooms; and,
refurbishing our rooms and cottages.

With respect to the details you say we may have overlooked, I submit the following:

The bathrooms are cheaply appointed – Our first complaint - the fixtures were of the period and were historically correct.
The dreaded "conditioning shampoo" – Our first complaint about our H&G special private brand. No hairdryer - Hairdryers were available; Our first complaint.
Only two bath towels for a couple - Our first complaint.
Motel 6 quality—sandpapery - Not true – our towels are a high premium brand.
They don't provide pool towels – a simple request of our staff.
There aren't baskets on the bikes – we have added baskets, thank you.
No mini-refrigerator – Does not fit our experience or décor.
Ice - a simple request of our staff.
Breakfast - at the very bottom of the pile compared to other places that we've stayed - Our first complaint.
Served precisely at 9, no hour window – we fulfill special requests for breakfast from 7:30 to 10:00 am - a simple request of our staff. One day our juice glasses were the size of shot glasses - Our first complaint and be it food or drink, additional requests would have been fulfilled - a simple request of our staff.
If you have to eat indoors, and it does get crowded. The coffee is serve yourself - Our first complaint, but only a few spoons were provided to stir.
When I saw a fellow guest lick a communal spoon, I figured I'd wait until I sat down but there were no spoons at the table. We have added more spoons.Our first complaint.
The outdoor tub is nice, but if you plan to use it, bring your own Lysol as they don't provide a way to clean it between uses. They do clean it each morning. - Our first complaint. We clean it three times per day.
A tiny thing, but only one trash bin in the two-story cottage. Our first complaint

But the service & amenities don't necessarily match the price. The service was available; and, all one needed to do was to follow the advice of the welcome letter provided at reception which states “if you desire something we have overlooked, simply ask”. We can do quite a lot to change one’s experience if we are informed while one is staying with us. Our improvements in 2007 should please most everyone.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Hampton Inn Gloucester
#3 of 5 in Reedville
Ma Margaret's House B&B
Ma Margaret's House B&B
#1 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Hope and Glory Inn? Share your experiences!