“Bankers Retreat”
Review of Kilmarnock Inn

Kilmarnock Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Kilmarnock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Our bank recently held a retreat at the Kilmarnock Inn. The staff, food,and accommodations were all outstanding! I live in Kilmarnock and was amazed at how just being in the courtyard made me feel like I was in a whole different area. You did not hear the typical "city noises" that you might expect being located so close to Main Street. The Inn itself was very clean and the lay out of the guest rooms worked very well with our needs for the training during our informative retreat. I highly recommend the Inn to anyone that just wants to stay overnight or longer. The Inn is perfectly located in the center of town, so one might say it is the "pearl" of the Oyster with all the necessities a traveler might need close by.
I liked the Inn so much that I took my husband back the next day for yet another awesome lunch! The Inn also serves breakfast, lunch and dinner to the public 7 days a week. The chef will pamper your pallet with delicious dishes that you would expect from any 5 star restaurant! So, if you are looking for a great burger or special dinner in a quiet setting that is easy on the pocket and pleasing to the pallet, eat locally, at the Inn. You will not be disappointed. I am sure you will find the owner to be friendly, professional and very accommodating.

Room Tip: all of our attended were very please with their rooms. Some are even pet friendly!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Debbie H

Reviewed 6 September 2011

I actually did not stay at the Kilmarnock Inn, but I hosted a surprise anniversary party there for my parents and then they stayed the night. I grew up in Kilmarnock and the options are certainly NOT overwhelming for places to stay or hold small events. It was so nice to have a place that could accommodate a small event for a fairly reasonable price. The owner and staff bent over backwards to get things set up, and everything was already running smoothly when I arrived with my parents. My dad, who has always refused to stay in a B&B, even admitted that staying at the Kilmarnock Inn made him willing to try B&Bs in other areas!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I have stayed in hotel and B&B's all over the world. I can honestly say this was the best B&B that I have experienced.
The rooms are clean but best of all they are Dog friendly. Colonel was so happy and he became the Kilmarnock Inn dog being spoiled by all who saw him.
The Innkeepers and staff are so friendly. Cheryl is the best Chef every and if you are a bacon snobb like me you will love this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Just returned from a stay at the Kilmarnock Inn -- it really is in a nice location in the center of town so if you like to go somewhere and park your car for a bit, really do have quite a few restaurants close by -- nice ones as well -- we would recommend the ThaiPot and Town Bistro. Plus the Inn serves dinner, and if anything like the breakfasts, the food will be really outstanding.

We stayed in the Tyler room, very nice. Comfortable. Sun bears down o the porch in the evening, so if you like to sit out, would recommend choosing another room. They do have an outside courtyard, very nice, however, they do not keep the furniture cleaned off. I have been to other B&Bs where the furniture is wiped down daily.

We would stay here again and probably will... Just need more time for getaway weekends!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ontheroad19
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I stayed here in connection with a family reunion and was very pleased. The core of the inn is a lovely old house on a side street, but the owners have taken the area behind it to build a cluster of cottages surrounding a tiny lawn, with a sidewalk around and through it, and most of the space filled with flower borders. Each cottage has its own little porch. My room was very comfortable, and the bath was nice as well. Breakfast was either from a menu or from the buffet; I chose the latter because the foods were less elaborate. This inn is of a size where you will have more contact with the staff than with the owners, but all the staff are very friendly and helpful, so I did not feel like that was a problem. I asked the night before if they could possibly make me a sandwich to take with me the following day, as the drive home was going to be a long one, and they were very agreeable. They thought ham and cheese on homemade bread was nothing special, but I thought it was delicious! I would recommend this inn without reservation.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

A set of rooms named for VIP's - Virgina's important people who went on to greater things, namely the presidency. The buildings and landscaping are beautiful. The room we were in for one night, The Berkley (don't know the Virginia connection) was fine - it had everything you would expect in any hotel room, plus a balcony that looked out onto the courtyard. The personnel, especially the proprietor and town police chief, Sean, was very kind and obliging. The breakfast -served to the public in a lovely front dining area in the main house - was part of the daily rate and quite tasty. We had the option of ordering off the menu (which we did) or taking part in the very southern Sunday brunch. Though I would have loved to viewed the other rooms, we did not, though I believe there are tours of the rooms if requested. While our stay at the hotel was positive - though I think at $195, the price was too steep . . . I would suggest a price around the $130 range - the surrounding town wasn't much to write home about. We did get to dangle our feet in one of the nearby rivers and, on our way out of town the next day, stop off to wade in the Chesapeake Bay. So, to summarize, the hotel was probably the best and nicest part of the town. While I wouldn't stay in Kilmarnock again, I would consider staying at the Inn again - if the price were reduced and they had moved to the coast of Virginia.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SlyGuy21
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Do to limited accomodation space most B&B's cater to individuals & couples rather than groups but Sean McDonough and his staff went beyond my expectations in making our mixed group (sixteen rooms, 32 guests) feel welcomed and appreciated. The rooms are clean, comfortable and gorgeous and face a beautifully kept courtyard, the breakfasts fantastic and ALL the personnel friendly and hospitable. We spent our four days sightseeing in Northern Neck but returned in the evenings for delicious dinners and entertainment provided by Sean and his crew without having to leave the Kilmarnock Inn. If you are a couple or family or friends just wanting to get out of Dodge for a few days this is the place. Or a tour operator or meeting planner with a small group and wish to provide your clientele with a delightful experience call Sean. A great INN in a great section of Virginia. I can only imagine it on Sanibel Island!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BAP65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#3 of 5 in Reedville
Ma Margaret's House B&B
Ma Margaret's House B&B
#1 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Kilmarnock Inn? Share your experiences!