“Enchanted Stays”
Review of Kilmarnock Inn

Kilmarnock Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Kilmarnock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I am a fan of B&Bs over traditional lodgings and have stayed at the Kilmarnock Inn on occasions and it has always exceeded my expectations. The rooms and the inner court are absolutely FABULOUS!
Morgan J. Robbins

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJRobbins

Reviewed 20 June 2010

I stayed a Wednesday through Sunday while on business in Kilmarnock. The Inn is a pleasant change from the typical chain hotel I might stay. More home-like in the sense that all of the buildings surrounding the main house have just a few rooms in them and you have a key to enter the building as well as a room key. You can come and go as you please, but the staff is readily accessible by cell phone on the off hours.

My room was on the second floor and had access to a very large shared balcony/deck with view of the courtyard around which the 6 (or so) houses that make up the Inn are arranged. I sat out one evening reading and enjoyed the breeze and the view.

This was my second overnight visit to Kilmarnock; but my first at the Inn. Located right off the main street, I was able to walk to the Buenos Nachos restaurant as well as the Town Bistro. In fact everything is a short walk from the Inn, which is located roughly in the middle of the 4-block downtown area.

While all of these are enough reason to recommend the Inn, what drove me to write a review was the breakfast. Cheryl, the chef, clearly enjoys what she does. My first morning I had the pleasure of trying a new recipe she was perfecting: a potato pancake. This was a crispy-on-the-outside, creamy-on-the-inside confection made of whipped potato and a blend of sauteed red and green peppers, onions, and just a hint of rosemary, which was fresh from the herb garden the grows along-side the Inn's property. I had those with scrambled eggs, ham, and toast, but that was no side dish, it was the star of the show.

I typically travel over 100 nights each year. At the Inn I felt special and it doesn't get better than that.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Cobbster_10
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I was in Kilmarnock in June 2009 with a tour group but was unable to stay at Kilmarnock Inn as they have only sixteen (BEAUTIFUL!) rooms and our group needed twenty-four. However, I was so impressed with the place and the wondertful courtyard and the hospitality of the manager that I asked if he would arrange an evening courtyard dinner with entertainment when our group passed by on the way back from Tangier Island. No problem.! He provided a complete bar-b-que dinner with all the trappings including a Canadian Les Paul-Chet Adkins style guitarist.. And GOD provided a gorgeous lste June evening. Our guys thought it to be the highlight of their Northern Neck stay. This part of Virginia is a gem. The area abounds with Louisiana-Mississippi type hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank BAP65
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We have family in Kilmarnock that we periodically visit. Regrettably their house is too small to acommodate guests. Since my mother also visits when we are there, the Kilmarnock Inn is a blessing because it has suites. One suite is MUCH less expensive than two rooms at another hotel. Add to that the charm of the Inn - the courtyard is lovely - and the money saved by the breakfast being included - which is a VERY good breakfast, btw - and it can't be beat. The beds are comfortable, the bed linens are too soft for my taste, but since most like soft over crisp sheets I thought I'd mention them, and the bath linens are quite nice indeed. The only marks against it are the lack of a television in both rooms of the suite, and the housekeeping consisted of chaging the towels and emptying the trash only. We tidy our own room, but they didn't remake the beds or pick up any of the dirty dishes from in-room coffee. However, the meal service and Inn manager are most accommodating and friendly. Won't hesitate to stay again, and wouldn't consider staying in another place in Kilmarnock.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank catsoverhusband
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Both the Holiday Inn and the Tides Inn were sold out and we were determined to go visit my sister in law in Kilmarnock. I have 14 and 11 year old boys so I didn't WANT to do a B &B (and kind of wanted a pool). Anyway, this place looked nice and had good reviews- so we decided to get two rooms. On the way down, my 11 year old said, "Mom, I am NOT staying in one of the B & B places. they are creepy!" Apparently something he saw in the movie Borat (???)...He LOVED it! -We loved it, everyone loved it. THe food is GREAT- the owners and staff lovely and helpful- the little buidlings are beautiful and new and clean, beds comfortable. Next time we are in Kilmarnock, I wouldn't stay in the Holiday Inn again for anything! This place was like a mini escape for me. just awesome. and no, I don't know the owners - just was so happy with this unintended choice. GO- even if just for a little vacation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank darncobra
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I stayed at the Kilmarnock Inn with some co-workers for a week. The rooms are very upscale and clean. The Inn had a classic look combined with modern flare to create a comfortable, clean atmosphere. The service was excellent and the staff was very friendly. I have stayed at other Bed & Breakfast type places around Kilmarnock and this one is by far the best.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank msparker78
Reviewed 22 July 2008

This Inn is brand new and looks great. Very comfortable rooms, lots of amenities (pet friendly, even). Excellent 3 course breakfast , fresh fruit, fresh baked muffins, and some of the best omelettes we've ever had! Very enthusiastic innkeeping staff, fun wine and cheese each night on the deck. Hot tub, fireplace, and private deck in our room, with a view of their beautiful courtyard. 1 minute walk to downtown, restaurants, shopping, museums, etc. Also only 10 minutes from 4 golf courses which are affilliated with the Inn. We highly reccomend this Inn, great value, great location, great staff, great Inn!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in White Stone
The Gables
The Gables
#3 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Kilmarnock Inn? Share your experiences!