“Enjoyed our stay - excellent service!”

Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmarnock
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Several members of my family stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for my son's wedding over the summer. The entire staff, beginning with Sarah, the general manager, went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed during the planning stages, as well as once we got there for the big event. They couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating for such a large group. Our rooms were fine and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was good and plentiful and we were all able to eat together - another plus. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Not much to like at this property -- it was very disappointing for a Holiday Inn Express. Our room was not very clean, the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, the towels were coarse and scratchy, the closet area was way too small, and there was only one luggage rack for a room with two beds. It wasn't until the second day of our stay that three burned out light bulbs and a non-functioning alarm clock were replaced.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My expectations initially were not high as this is a rural/small town area. However, from checkin to check out everything was top notch. Clean & comfortable bed with soft linens, NOT scratchy.
Everything you needed in the bathroom including hairdryer & coffeemaker w/coffee & creamer plus toiletries (except toothpaste, but they offered that gratis). Good cable TV reception also.
Upon check out I saw that they had charged me the wrong rate as I was supposed to get an Wedding reception 'event' rate. However the manager on duty...(a lovely person) Lakita took care of that & made the adjustment. I was in this town working at a Wedding reception/event & the Hotel was sold out but it was NOT noisy. I would definitely recommend this Hotel & look forward to choosing a Holiday Inn Express whenever I need a Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the (2) side entrances & elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I spent one night at this hotel and stupidly left my coat with keys and glasses in the closet. I was being "chauffeured" so didn't notice my mistake until later in the day. I called them and fortunately nobody had moved into the room. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to persuade the desk to check my room but when they did, the coat had gone. The housekeeping manager wasn’t very helpful and told me to call back next day since the “lost property was locked up.” Really? Nobody can check? Next day nothing was found. The hotel “could not contact the maid” so I had to wait another day. Tried to speak with the hotel general manager but she only worked mornings and never called me back despite promises to do so, I eventually had to complain to corporate but that also was a failure with no call back despite a promise to get back within 48 hours. The moral – don’t trust the staff in this hotel to be honest and check your possessions carefully before leaving. Personally I will never stay there or at any Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel chain
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
GMHIE98, General Manager at Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

While the Holiday Inn Express appreciates our guests taking time to review our hotel and service, we typically like more pleasent reviews.
In regards to this particular guests issues, plain and simple, the hotel did not locate the item that was claimed to have been left. Unfortunately at that point, there is nothing the hotel can do. I, the General Manager, spoke with the guest following his departurem alerting him that nothing had been logged by housekeeping but I could double check with the executive housekeeper when he arrived to work that morning. When he arrived, he checked the room again and checked with the room attendent that had cleaned the room on the day of the guest departure. Nothing was found or turned in. Before my executive housekeeper could return the call to the guest, he had called back. At that point the guest was told nothing had been found. Following that, the guests wife called the hotel, Holiday Inn Corporate and back to the hotel. The phone calls to my staff anyd our corporate office were done in such a manner that NO ONE was able to have a professional conversation with her. And before anyone could say anything she would hang up. I had the same experience when I spoke with her.
By no means did the hotel or corporate mean to come across as unprofessional or nonresponsive. We did try to locate the item for the guest. I mail hundreds of left items out each year to guests and never have I had an issue like this.
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn Corporate and myself, we apologize for any inconvenience and hope that the lost item turns up for this guest.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

First room - the safe didn't work, nor did the lights above it. One would think that the cleaning staff would have a checklist and be sure everything worked before leaving the room. This was a minor irritant. What really set me off was the paper thin walls! After hearing the footsteps of the person in the room beside me at the crack of dawn, I asked to be moved. The staff was courteous enough. However, after being moved to a new room and settling in for the night, I finally fell asleep at about 11, some men were running outside my room being very loud. They finally went into their room which, unfortunately for me, was next to mine (why after complaining about noise they decided to put them beside me I do not know). The men had deep voices and talked until about 12:30 a.m. It sounded as if they were in my room! What made it worse was the a/c which was loud and blew cold air directly on you. I had the tv on to try to drown the voices and noise but the a/c was so loud. When it was on I would be freezing and under the covers and have the tv louder, then it would go off and I would be hot and the tv would be too loud. The breakfast wasn't hitting on much either, in my opinion, and God knows I needed decent coffee since I could never get to sleep before 12:30 - 2 a.m. I understand that there was a construction crew staying there and I guess I ended up beside them every time. The day before my last night I talked to the mgr. and she moved me where no one was. It was cool enought to turn the a/c off and I FINALLY got some sleep! I think the Express hotels are a kit so there is no way I will ever stay in another, due to the noise. I was supposed to be training for a new job all week and I hated being so exhausted. Respect the sleep - it's important!!!

Room Tip: one where no one is around you!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This was a nice hotel. The breakfast was incredible, so many options. It was very clean and neat and the room we had was roomy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while visiting friends and family in the area. We were greeted by the general manager and another employee in such a welcoming way I could have sworn that we had known them forever! This was the general experience throughout our stay. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was amazing, and the room was very comfortable! My wife was almost sad to leave!

This will definitely be the only hotel I stay at when visiting the Northern Neck! I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends needing a warm and friendly place to stay while away from home.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Quality Inn Gloucester
#2 of 5 in Reedville
Ma Margaret's House B&B
Ma Margaret's House B&B
#1 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel? Share your experiences!