“A Little Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmarnock
Herndon, Virginia
“A Little Disappointed”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

On the positive the bed was comfortable, in room fridge is nice and the tv worked. Overall condition of the room is one that could use a face lift. Other than the bed, furnishings are dated and toilet seats are especially in need of replacement. Complimentary breakfast was poorly serviced with no white bread, no butter, and initially no cream. Cream was later replenished. On arriving my wife noticed that the room heating/cooling unit was extremely dirty as if it hadn't been cleaned or even dusted in a very long time. It seemed to function properly so we chose not to complain. However, at 4:00 the following morning we were awakened with a very loud banging sound coming from the unit. We had to turn the unit completely off which with sealed windows made the room stuffy. We were allowed to move to another room the following morning where the heating/cooling unit worked properly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
soruk01, Manager at Best Western Kilmarnock Inn, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the issues your had during your stay and I am happy that you brought them to our attention so we can work harder to meet the needs of our guests. So often things go left unreported. If you ever find yourself back in Kilmarnock I hope your choose our hotel and we can show you that we are working hard to fix any and all issues you had during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently when we were in town for my sister's wedding. While it's really the only major hotel in town, we were pleasantly surprised by the responsiveness of the hotel and it's staff. A great many thanks to everyone, especially Ebony, for being so helpful with our crazy needs leading up to the wedding. And while it's not a resort by any means, it was a clean and comfortable hotel. It was a memorable weekend for our family and we look forward to coming back to celebrate for many years to come.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 24 June 2013

fantastic from scheduling to departure. Hotel scheduled everything for golf group of 14. hotel and staff were extremely helpful and polite. golf courses were all in great shape and all staffs at the courses were helpful. hotel was clean and breakfast was included.highly recommend for golf groups of any size. returned home yesterday and booked next year today.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank robert h
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The biggest problem is that there is one, that's ONE, national chain motel in the town of Kilmarnock. HI Express is clearly very aware of this, and is apparently out to take full advantage of the situation. Unfortunately, they scrimp on everything--notably service--and have the attitude of "Where else do you think you are going to stay??"

I was making plans to visit relatives in the area, so I called to make a reservation. The young man who answered informed me that no rooms were available. A few minutes later, I spoke to one of my relatives who had taken it upon herself to check availability--she was told there were vacancies. I then called the motel again and the young lady who answered had no problem making a reservation for two rooms (or so I thought).

Two days later, when we arrived in Kilmarnock, the desk clerk had a reservation for only one room. However, he said that would not be a problem and found a second room available--at a rate $15 dollars more than the price I was given over the phone. This is not a $140 per night motel! Even the price I was quoted over the phone had been exorbitant!

When we got to the rooms, the furniture was very worn and unmatched. The desk chair would not even fit under the desk. It appeared as though the furniture came from several older motels that were no longer in business. The wallpaper in the room was peeling around the window. My toilet seat was loose, wobbly, and made of very cheap materials.

On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable with high-quality linens--exactly what I would expect from HIE.

During the night, we found that the air conditioning in one of the rooms did not work well. In fact, my relatives were sleeping with their heads at the bottom of the bed (no covers) so that they could at least benefit from the A/C fan. Upon inspection, they found the carpeting near the a/c unit to be soaked (as well as some of their bags which had been sitting nearby). Since there was an elderly family member in the room (85 years old) who had limited mobility, moving to another room in the middle of the night was not an option.

At checkout, I did express my frustrations, and my relatives were given a 20% discount on their room. The rate for my room was also corrected to reflect the price quoted over the phone when I made my original reservation. As for being told initially that there were no rooms available, the young lady stated that the property has a two-night minimum stay and that the corporate headquarters had to lift that restriction. No one had told me that when I called--why not? Also, the motel was not even close to being full--just some contractors who were indeed staying for an extended period. The parking lot was not even 1/4 used. We even had the breakfast room totally to ourselves! I have to say that I did enjoy the continental breakfast, although it was just average. After arriving home, I checked to see my Priority Rewards points--apparently someone neglected to note that I was a PR member, so no points for the stay.

All in all, I slept well and comfortable (my relatives can't say the same). The place was fairly clean, and I got to see my family. Would I stay here again....like other visitors to Kilmarnock, I unfortunately don't have a choice.

Room Tip: Double check your reservations well in advance of your arrival. Get everything in writing, and comp...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Kilmarnock Inn, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear 20runner,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for leaving us a feedback. It is nice to know that you have enjoyed breakfast and found the bed extremely comfortable. However, I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We have sent you a private message to discuss your Priority Club account. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Kilmarnock.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Kilmarnock hotels

lancaster, PA
Reviewed 26 April 2013

The motel was clean and comfortable. They were using fragrance clips on the HVAC units to help make a pleasant smell but it was slightly too strong. We think the local high school had prom that weekend and there was a lot of banging doors and loud partying. We did manage to sleep well until about 2 am when we were awakend by intimate sounds from the room next to us. The walls were pretty thin because we heard everything. We kept a good sense of humor through it all and laughed about it throughout our vacation. Breakfast was hot and tasty. All in all, not a bad experience. We would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Kilmarnock Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear kitNpup,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. I am pleased to know that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our breakfast exceeded your expectations. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We want our guests to have the best sleep possible when away from home and are very sorry if your stay was negatively affected by the outside noise. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We were making arrangements for family to come for a memorial service. The Manager, Sarah, came in even though she had left for the day to help us arrange things. While there, we were allowed to use the breakfast room for a family gathering in the evening after the service.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We found the Holiday Inn Express Kilmarnock through the Washington (DC) Golf Show this past February. We wanted a location fairly close to us and wanted to play 3 different courses. The General Manager at the Holiday Inn Express made our tee times for us after we indicated the times of the day we wanted.

Everything worked out just fine. They have a great breakfast that begins at 6:30 every day of the week. They switched up the eggs and meat Saturday and Sunday for variety. The front desk staff and the breakfast room attendant were very pleasant and professional. They provide information on nearby restaurants as well as directions.

My husband and I are very sensitive to cigarette smoke, and were pleased that we didn't detect any. Because it was raining, we kind of expected to have to go through a haze of smoke on our way in & out.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Quality Inn Gloucester
#1 of 5 in Reedville
Chesapeake Bay RV Resort
Chesapeake Bay RV Resort
#1 of 2 in Gloucester

Been to Best Western Kilmarnock Inn? Share your experiences!