“What more could you ask for?”
Review of Navigation Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buxworth
Navigation Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buxworth
“What more could you ask for?”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I recently visited The Navigation Inn with friends. What a lovely place. The pub itself is fantastic, full of charm and exactly what you want from a pub. Not at all plastic like they all seem to be these days. It was a fairly busy day so there was plenty of aptmosphere. We ordered our food, had a little wait but ten its home cooked and well worth it. The food was beautiful, probably some of the best pies I have ever tasted. I have to say I tried bits of all my friends (couldn't help myself) absolutely yummy all of it. Gorgeous chips! The staff were all fantastic, couldnt do enough for us, ever so helpful. Also plenty of banter at the bar...what a giggle. Thank you so much all of you, we had a great day and will definately be back.....lots!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank bigvegas1983

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I had the pie of the day steak and ale and my husband had the fish, chips and mushy peas. My husband asked for the vegetables to be removed from plate and they asked if I wanted peas instead which was lovely of them to offer. When my plate arrived it was laden with every vegetable I detest and no peas. My husbands fish was over cooked and burnt at one end. The fish that he did eat was nice. Small portion of mushy peas which looked like they had been sat out a while and were not warm. I have to say my pie was lovely, plenty of meat and delicious pastry but was ruined when all I could smell was carrots, cabbage and broccoli. I love vegetables but unfortunately these are the only three that I don't like. Would we return. Probably not for a meal but would return in the summer for a light snack.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christe
Marple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We were invited by very close relatives, and based upon previous reviews, i was slightly nervous.
Nerves were removed when the food arrived and tasted....
I had chili-con-carne, and my wife had a two meat sunday roast. Mine had a little heat ,excellent taste and disappeared very quickly. The Sunday roast has options of 1/2 or 3 meats. A tasty yorkshire, gravy, roast spuds and a good selection of veggies.... We love the Ringers in Marple, but this was as good. The pub has a great selection of beers (its a free house), and dont let the cockney landlord put you off, remember its southern humour, so different than the northern humour. Decent service, the food isnt quick, so its not been nuked...
So, take a stroll down the canal, or jump in the car, and pay them a visit, you wont regret it.
I understand the chef changed some months back, so all is good :-)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Ashton-under-lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We have a boat moored about half an hour from Bugsworth and travel over tohere about once a month, having two children we tend to eat fairly early and are also aware that the kitchen closes early during the quieter winter months. The food is always good and the fact that the childrens menu offers proper fish gougons as the fish fingers and real chicken in batter as chicken nuggets instead of cheap reconstituted rubbish makes it a great place to bring the children to eat.

They always make children feel welcome, and in fact, mine now have a couple of friends that live locally that they play with whenever we see them. This said don't get the impression that this is a kids pub it is s a proper local serving some good beers from local independant breweries to both visitors and regulars alike..

They are also dog friendly and put on some good entertainment for special events, the last couple we went to were the Steam Weekend and bonfire night, both times there was live music in the evening.

In all a real local pub doing what a pub should do for the community and visitors to the area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Manchester UK
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We got a boat in July which is moored half an hour away. We went to the Navigation on our first weekend and had a fantastic night, ordered our food well after 9.00pm and it was so good that we have been recreating their gorgeous home made cottage pie with buttery, cheesy mash topping at home regularly since!
We went back two weeks later and tried to order food at 8.30pm and were told in a totally uncompromising way that the kitchen closed at 8.00pm. There were about 5 people in the bar and we were somewhat annoyed that no one was prepared to rustle something up (or even sound in the slightest bit apologetic) the offer of a cheese and ham butty would have been appreciated as we had taken friends there specially after enjoying it so much last time. We were packed off to Whalley Bridge and found a fantastic Indian restaurant (Zayka) but we would have preferred to stay at the Navigation drinking and having a nice pub meal... a shame as we go on the boat every weekend and would have gone at least every other weekend since.
Last night we had friends with us (as we do most weekends), checked their website which said they served until 8.00pm and all busted a gut to get to the boat after work and sailed in the dark to get there in time to eat and have a nice night drinking etc... We arrived at 7.45 to be told - once again - in a completely unhelpful and confrontational way that the kitchen closes at 7.00pm in the winter... We asked if there was anywhere to eat locally and the guy behind the bar said "at this time you you might find a kebab house open" (as if it was midnight! it wasn't even 8.00pm!!). Once again we were forced to go to the fantastic Indian in a taxi.
I would like to say that we spent £130.00 in the Indian restaurant on both occasions which we would have happily spent in the Navigation and both times there were just a handful of people in the bar.
It is a huge shame as they do cook very good food and the pub is lovely but the totally rude and uncompromising attitude stinks. I reckon we could have spent at least £600-800 there in the last couple of months if they could be bothered to serve later (or at least offer to get a few things out fo the freezer and stick them in the microwave, or perhaps butter a few pieces of bread an put something on them).
I do not write negative reviews on Trip Advisor (look at my others) unless I think they would be constructive to others, in fact this is not a negative review on the pub or quality of food they serve. I really wish this was our 'new local' when on the boat and certainly based on my first experience would be giving a five star recommendation.
I would welcome a message from any new landlord that takes over as we would enjoy spending our weekends here with our friends and spending a good deal of money (£260 lost just on the two nights we have been turned away recently... that could be a lot of dosh over the year. In the meantime it's going to the Ring O'Bells in Marple who also do fantastic home cooked food, have live music and serve after dark)

Room Tip: We have not stayed in the hotel so not applicable. I hear their breakfast is fantastic though