“Great place for a quiet drink” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Navigation Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buxworth
Navigation Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buxworth
“Great place for a quiet drink”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I've been here a few times now, and it is almost becoming my not so local, local.

The staff and locals are all friendly, once you get used to the landlords southern sense of humour, and will happily sit and chat with you/involve you in their conversations and generally make you feel welcome.

The beer is always good, and the food is very good, traditional pub grub.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Andrew T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Having visited the Navigation twice within a week, I would say what a welcoming pub it is. The bar staff are well mannered and have a great sense of humour. The choice of largers, beers and ales is fantastic. I have eaten here on the odd occasion and found the food to be of great value and quality. Overall a great place to stop for a pub lunch or evening meal while in the area, or for a few pints.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank jwood1979
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We've been to the Navi many times over the years. It's set alongside the canal dock end with lovelly views and has some great outside seating if it's sunny.

There's lots of parking and they are dog friendly. It's a pretty relaxed kind of atmosphere.

The inside of the pub is now starting to look tired and shabby. I know that the image they are trying to portray is kinda retro, but that's no excuse for torn and ripped bench seat cushions and the like. The inside needs some TLC before it descends further. No one wants to eat in a place that looks "tired" and unkempt, more so on special occasions. I would also get rid of the 46" flat screen above the fire place. It's ok if you have the tv on or music vids for your customers... but adverts for local businesses on loop ? Forgive me, but that's not what folk want to see when they go out to dinner.

They keep a great selection of real ales and there's a house Timothy Taylor which is also pretty good. The greeting from the barman and the service from his staff was great, can't fault their service at all. I did think they missed a chance to "upsell" the meal though... we could have been tempted to have a sweet, but no one asked....

We most recently called on a friday evening and the place was pretty empty. Several tables had "reserved" on them but no one used them or dined apart from the three of us. We had fish and chips and the gammon and egg. The food was ok, nothing to write home about, but there was enough of it and it arrived pretty quickly.

Overall, I'm not sure we would eat here again, it's a tad overpriced and I think if it had been a special occasion I'd have been disappointed with the food. I would however recommend this place for a pint and a sit in the sunshine. For sitting outside in the sun and watching the world go by one has to say it's pretty good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Polar6565
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Having had a couple of trips to the Navigation Inn previously which, although not outstanding, were fairly pleasant our visit on Sunday 5th April left us really disappointed. The location of the pub is excellent and the fact it is dog-friendly suits us. However we ordered one child's meal of fish and chips which was fine! Also we ordered two adult Scampi meals which quite frankly were about four chips more than the children's meal - so much so that we thought we had ordered them by mistake! For 5 pounds more we had 4 chips! Oh and a few dried peas! Being an honest person when I paid and was asked " Was everything ok with your meal?" I stated my feelings in a polite manner but was offered no amount off the bill etc! I am not one to complain but this truly was appalling - we have a boat moored not far away from this pub but now we will head in the opposite direction to Marple! What a shame!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennya70
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Dropped in here with my wife and two young kids. There was no problem to accomodate the two pushchairs. Can't comment on the food but the pint of Timothy Taylors was outstanding. The barman was welcoming.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I recently visited The Navigation Inn with friends. What a lovely place. The pub itself is fantastic, full of charm and exactly what you want from a pub. Not at all plastic like they all seem to be these days. It was a fairly busy day so there was plenty of aptmosphere. We ordered our food, had a little wait but ten its home cooked and well worth it. The food was beautiful, probably some of the best pies I have ever tasted. I have to say I tried bits of all my friends (couldn't help myself) absolutely yummy all of it. Gorgeous chips! The staff were all fantastic, couldnt do enough for us, ever so helpful. Also plenty of banter at the bar...what a giggle. Thank you so much all of you, we had a great day and will definately be back.....lots!

• Stayed February 2013
      Rooms
1 Thank bigvegas1983
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

I had the pie of the day steak and ale and my husband had the fish, chips and mushy peas. My husband asked for the vegetables to be removed from plate and they asked if I wanted peas instead which was lovely of them to offer. When my plate arrived it was laden with every vegetable I detest and no peas. My husbands fish was over cooked and burnt at one end. The fish that he did eat was nice. Small portion of mushy peas which looked like they had been sat out a while and were not warm. I have to say my pie was lovely, plenty of meat and delicious pastry but was ruined when all I could smell was carrots, cabbage and broccoli. I love vegetables but unfortunately these are the only three that I don't like. Would we return. Probably not for a meal but would return in the summer for a light snack.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxworth
The Hunting Lodge
#2 of 12 in Loughborough
Premier Inn Loughborough Hotel
Premier Inn Loughborough Hotel
#1 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Navigation Inn? Share your experiences!