“Slept well on a quick stay”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Got shuttled here from the airport due to a missed flight and was pleasantly surprised for my quick 8hr stay. The bellhop was right on it as we were dropped off out front. It was a Friday night and glad check-in was easy and that food could be had in the bar till midnight. After a long frustrating day with the airline it was nice to retire to a very nicely decorated and comfortable room. The bathrobes were a plus as we only had our carryon luggage. Had no issues with the bathroom or water pressure, in fact it was spacious and well apportioned. The hotel desk even gave us toothbrushes as they knew we arrived with not much more then the clothes on are backs, compliments of the airlines. After a good night’s sleep the shuttle was right on time to meet us out front at 6:30am for the return ride back to the airport. I would have no problem returning again to this hotel and stay here for the nearby wineries in this area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear travelalloveragain,

I was happy to read that you felt so comfortable at Lansdowne Resort, it is our goal to make all of our guests feel at home. So glad you enjoyed the talents of our culinary staff and Guest Services. We hope to have you back at the resort to enjoy our free Friday night concert series, Sounds of Summer and enjoy our aquatic complex along with the local wineries. Many thanks for your thoughtful compliments.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

my wife and i arrived sunday, 3/18 and left on wednesday 3/21. overall our stay was pleasant, but there were a few things that could use improvement.
the good : the staff is very friendly, the golf courses and practice range are top notch.

the not so good : the parking lot is about 150 yards from the resort entrance. the parking is free, but after a while you get tired of the trek back and forth. don't forget anything in your car. it will take you 10 minutes to retrieve it and get back to your room.

the room we stayed in was a little drab. it could use some updating, especially the lighting. the bathroom was okay except for one BIG problem. there was so little shower pressure, you had to run around in the shower to get wet. i played with the shower head, but very little changed. i understand the whole close to washington dc thing with the water conservation and all, but it took me close to 5 minutes to get the shampoo out of my hair. we were on the 4th floor, so i dont think it was a mechanical problem. the water pressure was just too darned low. showering was a chore.

each restaurant has a different weekly schedule and varying daily hours. we went for breakfast at 11 am on monday, and they were already setting up for lunch, so we were not served. we found out breakfast was a buffet at $19.99 per person. we were not looking to spend over $40 for breakfast. the lunch buffet turned out to be $25 per person. there was nowhere to get a cup of coffee on the premises unless you wanted to make it in your room with powdered creamer. we eventually hiked to the parking lot and drove a few miles to a panera where we got fresh coffee and breakfast. on the days we wanted lunch, we would drive away from the resort and use the gps to find something within a few miles. i cannot comment on the resort food quality because we never tasted anything from the resort. it was just too hard to find something when we needed it. they could really use a coffee shop where you could sit and relax and have a snack without spending a lot of money.

the 3 golf courses were very nice, however i found out once i showed up at the clubhouse that carts were only allowed on the cartpaths. no mention of this was made on the website when i reserved the golf package. on an empty golf course, it took over 4 hours for my wife and me to play 18 holes. so much time could have been saved if we could have driven in the fairways, in the rough, or at 90 degrees in the fairways. dont get me wrong. i love to spend as much time as possible on thecourse, but i'd rather be playing than hiking back and forth across a fairway while my wife sits in the cart waiting to do the same thing once we get to her ball.

while this review may sound negative, let me say that as a golfer i would return to lansdowne resort because the golf was excellent. however, if i were not a golfer i would have to think twice about returning.

1  Thank angmor54

Dear angmor54,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay. On behalf of the team, let me apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your time with us. Only through feedback from our guests can we ensure the best possible service experience. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your room. I will forward your comments to our Executive Committee. I appreciate your comments on our golf courses unfortunately, we do not allow golf carts on the fairways due to weather and ground conditions. We strive to maintain the courses in pristine conditions for your golfing pleasure.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed 1 night at this lovely resort hotel about 20 minutes' drive from Dulles Airport near Washington, DC. Comfortable rooms & great facilities. Nice buffet restaurant on site for casual meals.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Ueser,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Lansdowne. It gives us great satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

For my birthday my husband booked a 2 night stay at Lansdowne. We live about an hour away, and spent the day wine tasting, and the rest of the weekend just relaxing. We checked in in the early evening on Friday, and checked out Sunday afternoon.

We stayed in a corner king room, and I was impressed overall. The room is large, and the bed is comfortable. The view is mostly of the parking lot, but you can see the golf course, pool, and surrounding mountains, and we had a view of the sunset. I have to agree with some other posters that the pillows are lacking. I found a few extras in the closet, which is a good thing because you need to stack at least two, they are so flat. But I slept wonderfully both nights, and have no serious complaints about the room.

The bathroom leaves something to be desired. There is no fan in the bathroom, which I just think is weird. The towels are mediocre quality, but the biggest issue is the water pressure in the shower. I fiddled with the head, trying to get a better stream, but was left disappointed. I've had better water pressure in Central America.

The gym is nice, but the equipment is pretty dated. There is a wide variety of stuff, including some decent spin bikes in the back room, but it is not new or modern by any means. I did not use the indoor pool, but it looked nice (although there were lots of children it in on Saturday morning, may not be ideal for lap swimming). I did not use the spa.

We ate dinner at Stonewall's Tavern one evening. Service was good and I like the ambiance of the bar. I wanted to play Wii or pool, but groups were already crowded around both. A private party was occupying the section that included shuffleboard. The food was okay. I expected it to be expensive, which it was. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, but it was not in any way bad. Just average.

We had a big disappointment Sunday morning when we walked down to the lobby looking for eggs, pancakes and the like; I guess there may be specific breakfast hours, but no where in the hotel serves brunch of any sort! At 11:30 on a Sunday I didn't think it would be difficult to find brunch food. I even planned to pay a lot of money for it! Sadly we left the hotel and were forced to find eggs and bacon at Bob Evans. What sort of resort doesn't serve Sunday brunch? What are Sunday mornings for, if not brunch??

Overall the resort is nice. The lobby and public areas are ornate and well decorated. Our room was comfortable, and the limited interaction we had with service was pleasant. The resort does feel a bit dated in places, and besides playing golf or using the outdoor pool (both of which it was too chilly to do), there is not much offered in terms of activities at the resort. It's a great base for exploring wine country, or shopping at the outlets, but I wouldn't pay high prices expecting luxury on site. I will definitely consider staying again, and would like a chance to eat at the other restaurants. I may come back when the weather is warmer, and will ask for a room with better water pressure!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Decent but not Amazing,

I truly appreciate the time you have taken to critique your stay with us. Your detailed comments will certainly help us continually improve our property and level of service. We take all comments seriously and appreciate all your feedback. To address your concerns regarding activities, the resort has several amenities available for all guests including volleyball, tennis, basketball and nature trails along the Potomac River. Be sure to visit us during the summer and enjoy our free Friday night concert and our wonderful aquatic complex – it’s a delightful way to spend a Friday evening. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to have you back again soon. Again, thank you for the comments.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

stayed here for conf. shuttle from airport worked well, included in our rate. room ready on check in, but had a bad odor, so was moved without incident (though it took a while). room was fine, though clear that quite a lot of the infrastructure is on the older side (easy parts like faucets and TV etc. are updated, but ceramics, tiling etc. are needing updating). Breakfast buffet was impressively good. Snacks throughout the conference were terrific and expansive. Common rooms and bars don't have great atmosphere; seems like place is dominated by conferences. Staff friendly and helpful throughout. Pool was warm though heavily (excessively) chlorinated. Overall would recommend.

Dear “excellent in most respects”,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. We appreciate receiving comments from our guests as it helps us see the areas that may need immediate attention. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We checked into our room. It was pretty average. There was no fan in the bathroom and the walls were thin enough for us to be able to respond to the people talking in the hallways.
The bedding was nice but the mattress and pillows didn't offer much support and we both had sore backs at the end of our 2 night stay.

When we went to check out we were hit with a $20 a night fee for use of the resort which included: self parking, in room water, internet, fitness center and pool. These are not super fancy extras. These are things that most hotel chains have and include with your stay. When we talked to the front desk about the charges, they turned to a pile of papers that they kept out on the counter with each 3rd party booking's small print. We booked through hotels.com who claim the fee was mentioned on the booking page (but not on any of recepits that say we were paid in full).

I wouldn't have minded the fee had it been mentioned up front or included fantastic extras. Next time, I think we will stay in the Holiday Inn down the street. We will miss out on the fancy lobby, but not lose anything in room or ammenity and not have to pay $20 a night extra to use it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear “Mediocre Place with Upscale Prices & Extra Fees”

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We truly appreciate hearing how we may improve to better serve our guests. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with the $20 resort fee and that you were not informed prior to your stay. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of each guest and we obviously fell short in your case and for that we are extremely sorry. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and to demonstrate our true level of hospitality. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

I recently stayed at this property for a work conference. And I must say, upon leaving the IAD airport the shuttle was right there to greet me. Not 1 minute did I have to wait. Upon arriving at the hotel some 6 hours before normal check-in, I was allowed to check-in, which took all of 5 minutes, and was in my hotel room in a jiffy. The room was very nice. All the amenities of the average hotel room. The food selection during my stay was amazing. The salmon was expecially good. The resort grounds are gorgeous. I had a view overlooking the golf course, and it was very pretty.

The hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating. I truly enjoyed myself at this resort. I would stay here again, if I were ever in the area.

Dear Good Stay,

You are very kind to be so complimentary of the many facets of Lansdowne Resort, thank you very much. The staff will be happy to know how much you enjoyed your visit. We are happy to know that we were able to provide you with a pleasant experience and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
#3 of 7 in Leesburg
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!