“Lansdowne Resort-Stay Away From This Place.”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Reviewed 29 May 2014

In a nutshell: Everything is outdated and old, the rooms are overpriced and some are dirty, the food is expensive, the staff is rude, the beds are hard, and the pillows are flat.
Right off the bat, we were literally taken for a ride by the hotel. The shuttle service to the hotel is $50.00 per person to, and from, the airport. That’s a $200.000 round trip cost. We found out that a taxi is only $30.00 each way.
We stayed at the Lansdowne Resort for a wedding recently. We asked for a king bed but when we arrived at 2PM we were told only a room with two full sized beds was available. When we complained, we were told that we could wait until 4 PM (the official check in time) and see if one was available.
We booked our room as part of the wedding party so we ended up on the same floor as the other wedding guests. I had to pay extra because the only room with a king sized bed was a corner room. We had an excellent view of rooftops. My daughter who also booked as part of the wedding party was given a room two floors away from everyone else.
The beds were very uncomfortable and the pillows were flat as a pancake. The room was dusty and we actually had to call room service to clean our room after it had not been touched for two days! The doors are so thin that you can her everything going on in the hall. I could also hear the people next door phones ringing.
The in-room coffee was the worst I've ever had. The limited food options are expensive and not that great. The choices were $12.50 per person for coffee and a Danish or $21.95 per person for a breakfast buffet. Did I mention that the closest place to eat outside of the hotel is five miles away? We could have stayed at the Marriott, as some of the guests did, for 1/2 the price with better beds, cleaner rooms and a free breakfast!
Crooked Billet and Pub 46 both share a common room separated by a wide doorway. We were a party of five (four adults and one for year old child) and wanted to sit in Pub 46, which has a cheaper menu. They said we were too big a party to seat there as their tables only sat four people. If we wanted to eat lunch, we would have to be seated at the Crooked Billet and pay almost twice the price for food from the same kitchen.
The wedding part had a special gathering at Stonewalls Tavern the night of the wedding after the reception. The drinks were overpriced ($180.00 for three glasses of wine and a bar pie.) The the service was slow and lousy, the server had an attitude, and the rest of the people in the bar section were loud, and obscene. At one point people not with the wedding party were coming into our area and eating our food. When we complained to the server he shrugged his shoulders and said "You go tell those drunks they can't have your food. I don't need a black eye."

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Antaeus B
There are newer reviews for Lansdowne Resort and Spa

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I actually stayed here because I volunteered to give up my seat (in exchange for a travel voucher of course) on the last flight from Dulles Airport to Frankfurt, Germany. So the airline put me up in this hotel for the night, and it was delightful. The room was huge, the service was so friendly, and since I had time to spare, I treated myself to room service. Not only was the food delicious, it was brought by the nicest person! I wish I knew his name so I could tell the hotel directly how curteous and professional he was. I would have loved to stay longer and experience the 12,000 sq foot spa this place has!! I can't wait to go back here one day and make a long weekend out of it!

Room Tip: I was on the second floor right outside the elevator, it had NO view, I mean literally I was looking...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here in early April for a week for a business/leadership conference. The grounds are beautiful and the golf season had just started. It is a busy hotel for conferences due to the conference centre that is attached. Overall, I would give the hotel a 3.5-4 out of 5. Here are some highlights:

ROOM: A standard room that was clean and comfortable. I had an in-room coffee maker and coffee, but no pot, so I never used it. Maid service was reliable daily. Nothing overly special. Bed and linens were clean and comfortable as well. There was an on-going issue with my key for the door and had to have it replaced 5 times over 7 days. A little inconvenient as I was on the top floor and at the very end of the hallway, furthest from the elevator.

SERVICE: The staff strive for excellent customer service, but I found it inconsistent. Some staff were great and always willing to help, others were indifferent.

FOOD: I ate in each of the restaurants at some point during my stay. The salad bar in the buffet restaurant was always fresh and tasty. The food in the bar was average at best. Service in the bar was also very average.

CONFERENCE SERVICES: Conference rooms were well appointed and break out snacks for the conference were healthy and plentiful. The concierge services for the conference section were excellent as they helped me get a package sorted out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Do your research before booking here. We attended a company meeting so we didn't have control of where to stay. Rooms were not cleaned each day, had to call housekeeping to get someone to come, and then they showed up at 5:00 pm Bottom sheets on their bed didn't go completely to the bottom of the mattress so you are sleeping on the mattress pad where other feet have been, very unsanitary. Rooms are very dark, service is very poor. Poolside is dirty, birds have messed on most all lounges and chairs. Well over rated. Look at Yelp ratings, most all are rated a one star!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank sharingdogs
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear sharingdogs,
I wanted to address your comments directly. First, we value all of our guests, especially conference attendees as this sector of our business is what has made Lansdowne a success and shining star in the meetings business for 24 years. We are an IACC-certified facility, so we have earned our place in the industry. With that being said, your experience is not one we enjoy hearing about and I can assure you, it has been addressed. Whether here on business, or leisure, our goal is 100 percent satisfaction. On the seldom occasions where we appear to fall short, we do everything internally to ensure it does not happen again. Thanks again for your comments.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director

Reviewed 26 May 2014

First of all, let me say we were EXTREMELY grateful to get a room in a hotel due to bad weather at Dulles. Our flight was cancelled after we sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes. We were given the orange slip of paper for a $79 room rate from our airline cs because we could not get out to our destination. I was thrilled with the price! We wandered down to Travelers Assistance because we had been out of country for three weeks and our phone was dead. TA told us there were no room left near the airport. They mentioned the Lansdowne Resort. After a few phone calls we were told they had one room left. We jumped at the chance. Our luggage was still tied up with the cancelled flight and we were exhausted.
We went outside to wait for the resort transport bus. After 45 minutes of waiting and two additional phone calls to the resort, we and two other people in the line, decided to take a taxi to the resort. ($32 + tip) To our great surprise and relief, they did have rooms for us.
We were all exhausted and hungry. We had been traveling for over 24 hours.
We went straight to the bar for a drink and something to eat. When we arrived, there might have been 12 people in the bar. Within another 30 minutes there were 60 people in the bar with one frantic waitress. We told her repeatedly that we understood the problem. We ordered drinks and dinner. The food arrived--my husband's steak was excellent, my meatball sub was stone cold. On a night like this, one does not complain. After probably 45 minutes other non-waitresses finally came in to carry trays and help the poor girl. They look like suit kind of guys. We ordered a second round of drinks at the beginning of our meal. By the time, I was half way through my cold sub I was dying for a drink of any sort. I finally had to go to the bar and beg for a glass of water. The hotel knew we had hired the last room in the hotel at least 1.5 to 2 hours prior to this point. Management was way too slow to respond to a problem. This hotel is situated near D.C. It would seem that they would have an emergency weather plan on the books.
We finally got to our room. Whether it was clean or dirty, I have no idea. We got a few hours sleep. The beds were comfortable. Funny enough, the resort puts large bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the shower area. I am assuming this approach cuts down drastically on the number of small bottles of product which most people take with them. But, even funnier. The bottles are mounted up at the shower head height. We are bath people. So, we had to get into the tub, get wet, stand up and dispense the shampoo, then get back into the tub for a shampoo. There should be a better solution. We were distressed travelers. We would have been happy with anything better than a park bench and no bugs. If I had been a "resort" customer, I would not be happy with this "thrifty approach". Our bill was slid under our door during the night. The price was as advertised.
We signed up for the 0600hrs shuttle. There was no food available at that time in the morning except for the little pot and coffee grounds in the room. I did not make coffee in the room.
We were waiting in the lobby about 20 minutes before the shuttle was due. A 8 person bus pulled up. We all loaded into it. We were then told they needed a different bus so we were unloaded. By this time, there were probably 30 people waiting in line. Considering we had all signed up for the shuttle the night before, it did not make sense to send a 8 person shuttle for 30 people. Again, this demonstrated a lack of management level planning. After a few minutes more, a full sized bus was sent and we drove to the airport.
The final point is that the Resort wants to be aligned with D. C. I read all the information in the room including a golf themed magazine with an article about the resort. No where in any printed matter was there an address of the resort. We had no idea where we were. It just seems silly to not print an address. We did not find out we were in Virginia until we talked to some of the other people on the bus ride back to the airport.
Would we stay there again if there was bad weather at Dulles? Yes. Would we pay "resort" prices for a function or getaway at the resort? No.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here during the weekend of our wedding. We had our wedding ceremony and reception at a different venue, and this was the closest, nicest option.

The positives: The room was very nice. Good decor, lots of space, and great for hosting a bridal party and getting hair and makeup done. The rest of the hotel and grounds are beautiful as well. Very well taken care of. The reception staff was pleasant.

The negatives: If you are booking a room block here, be very cautious of how many rooms you reserve. They require an 80% fulfillment rate, and after we increased the number in our block, it went up to 90%. You are liable for the cost of the rooms not filled, so be cautious. This is stated in the contract, which is good, however, it's a pretty extreme requirement. You may want to shop around before booking a room block here.

We spent quite a bit of money during our stay, and of course brought in other guests to the hotel, yet we received absolutely nothing from the hotel as a congratulations on our wedding. I stayed at a Marriott during my birthday weekend and received a bottle of wine. For our wedding here, we received absolutely no acknowledgement. Sure, it's not a requirement, but it would have been a really nice touch to at least give leave a note.

The golf club. Oh, the golf club. My husband tried to have lunch at the restaurant in the clubhouse with his father, brother-in-law, and friend on the morning of our wedding. My husband and the rest of the party, except for his father, all had on collared shirts. The hostess told them that she could not seat them because his father did not meet the dress code. My husband explained that it was his wedding day, and that they were just trying to grab a quick bite, and she again repeated that it was a clubhouse and they could not dine there without all having collared shirts. Incidentally, there were no other diners in the restaurant at the time. It's unclear if any of the other restaurants were open at the time on the grounds, but regardless, no other options were offered to them.

Again, the facilities are lovely, but there are definitely a few improvements that need to be made in customer service and making your guests feel valued, especially when they are there for their wedding.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel because my flight to Montréal was canceled at the last minute. Did not expect much. What a pleasant surprise! Very nice rooms, beautiful scenery and the quality of the reception just amazing! The breakfast is a bit pricy but good. I'm thinking of coming back to this hotel on my next trip to Washington.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#1 of 14 in Tysons Corner
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!