“Pros & Cons of Lansdowne Resort”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Reston, Virginia
“Pros & Cons of Lansdowne Resort”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently stayed at Lansdowne Resort for a wedding and overall it was a pleasurable experience. The resort staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The check-in experience was smooth. When I went up to my room the hallways seemed a little dark & it didn't give me the feel of a luxury resort. I do think the resort is on the expensive end and i'm not quite sure it was worth the money (even with a wedding group discount).

The room was nice but it didn't have a "wow" factor. It was also rather small for two people. The bathtub had a weird stain on the floor. I tried cleaning it & it would not come off. Had it been any other day, I would have complained but I was very busy with the wedding & I was only staying one evening.

I ordered room service for breakfast which was delicious. It came up hot, fresh and on time! The venue for the wedding & the reception was absolutely stunning. The resort was a great location for a wedding but I don't think I would stay here for any other occasion.

I did not get a chance to visit the pool & I saw the golf course from far - both looked very nice. I had a chance to visit the Bride&Groom suite which was lovely & huge (with two lovely balconies facing the golf course). I'm not sure how much that cost but it was a lovely suite.

Pros:
Wedding Venue
Location
Staff

Cons:
Price
Not Luxury Feel
Cleanliness of Bathroom

Room Tip: Higher floor with golf course view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Surina A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We have been here three hours now and I can not begin to tell you the service we have received. From Kevin who took our bags to Grayson at the front desk who acknowledged our special occasion with such enthusiasm, sweetness and bottle of wine, to Meagan at the pool....the service here is better than nemacolin resort or anywhere else we have been in a very long time. I am so excited To spend weekend here . The resort is BEAUTIFUL, golf courses are immaculate and the service is
Beyond spectacular! So excited and grateful to be here! Thank you especially to Grayson!

Stayed July 2014
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your post! We’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we’ll be sure that Grayson and our team know the impact they made on your stay!

Warm regards,
Jim Horsman
London
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This overpriced property deserves to permanently reside in the 1980's.

Check in took over 15 minutes, rooms are full of dark, heavy, dated furniture; the resort fee of $22 for an 11 hour stay is a joke.

The hotel is a considerable distance from Dulles Airport and with infrequent shuttle service, I would rather pay a bit more and be downtown in a real hotel, instead of this dated establishment.

Management rests on its laurels and does not care about the guest experience.

Will not return to this overpriced, inconveniently located and poorly furnished 'hotel'.

Room Tip: Try the 4 C's or Mandarin in DC proper
Green Features: No environmentally practices were visible - if anything the over-abundance of flash cards, tents and folders in the room, shows that the local printer is doing well and the hotel is oblivious.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PBRD
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear PBRD,
Thank you for your comments and please allow me to address them. Our resort is very competitively priced with the marketplace as we monitor this daily. As for the rooms, we are planning a full renovation of all guestrooms very soon, so those needs are definitely being addressed. We are 8 miles from Dulles Airport and downtown DC is 40 miles away. Our resort is Virginia Green certified and recently named as a Tripadvisor Green Leader - we have more than 50 green initiatives in place and fully documented. In 2013, we hosted the very first fully Green Golf Event in the state of Virginia. No rest here as the plan is to raise the bar under my guidance, so we are very excited about the improvements to come!

James J Horsman
washington dc
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overpriced at $250 a night. Wouldn't go back. I'd rather pay $300 a night and stay at the Mandarin Oriental in DC for a true luxury getaway. Adults only pool closed at 5 on a Saturday for a private party so had to sit by kids pool that was loud, heated to about 100 degrees in summer and crowded. Not the romantic luxury weekend getaway I was expecting. The only breakfast option was a $22 buffet - a la carte option was just a continental breakfast offering. The hotel decor felt dated and good god, the sheets were so scratchy. For $250 a night you could throw in a dryer sheet with those things. Clubhouse was the nicest part. More modern and updated than the rest of the property and the restaurants were delicious. The atmosphere was more ballroom for weddings than it was resort in the hotel itself. The grounds and views were lovely but they didn't make up for the rest.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Holly R
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Lovely property surrounded by several golf courses and park-like grounds. Excellent value compared to the chain hotels near the airport that overcharge for rooms. Interesting restaurant/bar selections, with local beer/wine/foods to try. Great rates for golf, especially after 2 pm with great rentals and excellent club management by Troon golf. Room was spacious and clean, with a decent view., higher floors have better views.

Room Tip: Pick higher floor for better views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Lansdowne Resort for a wedding in the area. I was there May of 2014, and I want to report it was a spectacular place. The rooms were clean and the lobby was inviting. Every one of the staff I interacted with (from the cleaning crew to the door attendants) were friendly and professional. The property was beautiful and the views from the room were spectacular.
Weddings are busy events, and the Lansdowne staff went above and beyond to help the party I was with move flowers and other materials from our car to our room. When we moved the bride to her bridal suite the day of the wedding, the staff met us at the door with carts to assist us with our belongings.
Further, Mary Lanham, the reservations manager at the property, was incredibly helpful. There was a slight hiccup in regards to a charging issue, and Ms. Lanham was quick to resolve the issue and was a pleasure to work with.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this resort and would be thrilled to visit again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Soupgirl25,
Thank you for your 5-star review for Lansdowne Resort on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your sharing these valuable comments and we will be sure to share your specific comments about Mary with her personally. Thanks again for your 5-star review and we hope to see you again soon!

James J. Horsman
Somerset Village, Bermuda
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My niece recently was married in Leesburg, Virginia. We stayed at the Lansdowne Golf Resort. I give it high marks for a great destination resort they are in a beautiful location and have great amenities on site but only 5 minutes from historical Leesburg. Great time wonderful staff.

Room Tip: looking over the golf course not the parking lot.
Green Features: Very good about towels not being taken unless on the floor so to save over washing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
#3 of 7 in Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!