“Fun time with my sis”

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Fun time with my sis”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Went to Leesburg to spend Thanksgiving with my sis and her family. My mom and brother weren't arriving until the next day, so she and I decided to have a girl's afternoon out while the boys went down to DC. It was a cold, dreary day, but we decided to give Tarara a try. She has lived there 7 years, and I lived there for 3 years in the early 90's, but neither of us had ever been there. We headed out of Leesburg for the short drive. It is really off the beaten path. When we finally found it, the grounds were beautiful. It was a large property, which surprised me. Well tended grounds. Sis told me they have outdoor concerts on the grounds during the summer. That would be a blast! Anyway, we pulled up and were among a few cars in the lot. We walked up the short hill to the tasting room entrance. There was a small group there tasting, but we were promptly greeted. The host was very friendly and knowledgable. Tasting was $10/pp, for about 6 or so wines. The whites were tasty. I wasn't as big of a fan of their reds, but that is my opinion. The port was way too sweet for my taste. The tasting room has a viewing window of the wine cave, which was neat to see. They have a small wine bar area, and a larger tasting room in the back. I thought it was neat and tastefully decorated. They have a deck with a beautiful view off the tasting room. I would love to go there when it was warmer, although I liked having the place to ourselves. My sister used to live out near Napa Valley, so we have hit our share of vineyards. This one was a pleasant surprise. Will definitely try to attend one of the concerts! P.S. We bought a bottle of their sparkling wine. It was very good.

Visited November 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Good winery”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a good winery. The atmosphere/location is fantastic. We went in the fall near Thanksgiving, so it was incredibly slow (read: we were the only two there at noon). The wines weren't exactly my palate, and my husband felt the same - the ones we were offered were nothing special, and not something I would pay $20+ per bottle for - I've found better wines that are $10-15 per bottle in the store. The ambiance is nice. We weren't thrilled with our wine taste guy. Didn't really talk much or seem interested in discussing the wine with us. Felt odd since we were the only ones there - I could see this happening if they were really busy. We didn't purchase anything. Also, the tasting list is VERY limited. I would have liked to have sampled others - but it wasn't even mentioned. Suggestion for them: get the automated wine dispensers where you can order your own taste, half or full glass once a "card" is inserted. You just pay at the end and you can choose what you want. With so many wines, and the service being so-so, I think this would be a better option. Maybe have a few people on hand to discuss or ask questions about the wines with this system. Overall, not very impressed by the wines or the staff. The "port" at the end - not very good and was (in my opinion) WAY overpriced. However, if you have a family, I'm sure the summer concerts and events are worth it.

Visited November 2013
Leesburg, Virginia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Wine not worth the trip”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've been here a few times hoping that the wine will get better, but alas everytime I go the wine is the same. The location is beautiful, winery is as well, but if you want good wine go somewhere else.

Visited December 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Great Summer Concert Series”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Tarara has one of the best outdoor venues with great local and national acts. It is a great place for couples and families with kids of all ages. The hill overlooking the stage and lake is picture perfect. Youare able to bring in your own picnic, coolers and chairs and relax and enjoy the show. Or run around with the kids in the ample areas around the main hill seating. The only draw back at this event is the selection of winess available at the event. They are not the best Tarara has to offer and are low on the quality spectrum for what Loudoun wineries have to offer.
Remember your bug spray.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Brian20176
Annandale, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Many reasons to come back”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

My wife held a bachelorette lunch there and the group thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Also, we have attended a couple of their summer concert series, which are a nice way to spend a Saturday evening.

Visited September 2013