“Could be so Much Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro on Main

Bistro on Main
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Upscale Casual Dining in the Heart of Downtown Lexington, Virginia.Featuring local products with a Southern flair. Intimate, casual atmosphere. Serving Brunch, Lunch and Dinner. Also offers catering. Reservations Recommended!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Could be so Much Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Recommended by our B&B host and as it was a Saturday she reserved a table for us (18:30).
On arriving at the entrance the restaurant was very busy with many people milling about looking for a table. Jackie, who I think is the owner, was running around as if her feet were on fire. When she got to us and we advised we had a table booked for 2 - she ran of again. While she was away I noted on her reservations computer in bright red saying that the restaurant was overbooked! When she came back she put 2 sets of cutlery and napkins on a ledge looking out the front window which had 2 bar type stools there and then walked away. A few minutes later as we were still standing waiting to be seated she asked if she could help ? I said I we were still waiting to be seated. "Oh that is your seats at the window, my favourite table" she said. We took this as it was the only seats available or we would have had a wait until one came free.
Our server came fairly quickly and took our orders.
We both started with soup of the day. For mains my wife had almond encrusted chicken & spinach salad and I had chicken scaloppini. All the food was nicely cooked and presented.
This is a shame as the service does not match the food. I can understand the owner not wishing to disappoint people by turning them away but on the other hand it does not make for a great dining experience when you can't get a table when one is booked or when you see overworked staff trying to cover to many tables - our server was pleasant enough but way overworked.

1 Thank Wilton2

Manassas, VA
“Neat modern place to have a great meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

A couple glasses of red wine to start...I had a side salad. Wife had the stuffed quail for $21, not a lot of stuffing, but very good, and quail is a normally small bird. They did offer a 2nd quail for $10. I ordered the duck medium rare and cooked perfectly and my wife wish she had. It was delicious. We shared each other's meals anyway. We each had the chocolate brownie which melts in your mouth and we got it with a side of pumpkin ice cream which was made there along with a gingersnap cookie and was great! Paul was a great and patient waiter. We gave up our table that was next to the kitchen in the bar area (really wasn't a bad table, and we didn't have a reservation, but probably needed for later) in case it was needed and had a couple after dinner drinks at the bar. Great restaurant in Lexington!! While we were there on a Saturday night, we got in about 5:30pm before the crowd.

1 Thank Viaggiante
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Deliciously surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

In town for a long weekend getaway from vabch and were looking for a place that offered vegetarian options. When googling, this restaurant came up so my husband and I decided to check it out. We were not disappointed. Soup of the day happened to be a lentil and spinach with lite curry- very yummy for a vegetarian :) We also ordered the tapanade and hummus for a starter and it was followed by some warm freshly baked beer bread. Perfect with the soup. Everything we had to include the mixed berry tart we had for dessert tasted fresh. Our waiter was very personable and attentive but not over the top. This restaurant must be the place to go eat on Main Street Lexington because it was comfortably packed by the time we finished our meal and out of all the restaurants we walked by up and down Main Street after dinner, it was much busier than the others. For the beer drinkers out there, they had an excellent selection of va local brews on tap. Prices were reasonable (my husband and I are not ones to pay crazy expensive prices on meals) Overall, this was place was an excellent pick for our first night here. I would definitely return.

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Unimpressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our first visit here left us somewhat conflicted. We had reservations, and the host asked us which table we prefered between two choices. I asked for the coolest since I am hot by nature, and it apperared we were seated at the warmer of the two tables. Maybe he thought I meant cool as in hip, as the window table was nice, but it was clearly warmer there than it would have been at the table by the door.

Our waitress had a hard time maintaining her focus, as if she had more tables to wait on that she should have. That's how it appeared as there was only three waitstaff in the entire full resturant.

My wife and I both had a filet steak, and she had the special which included scallops. It's hard to screw up a steak, so while not melt in your mouth tender, they were cooked properly. The scallops looked like they had been sliced in half to spred them out, but my wife said they were still cooked OK and were not rubbery. The wine menu was limited and their most expensive Pinot Noir was thin and not very rich at all for the price.

While I am a hard evaluator, the Bistro to us was merely average for the price point. Maybe I expected too much as they are rated rather highly on Tripadvisor. Not sure we will return as there are better places in town that I would prefer to eat at.

Paris, Texas
“love it, but not when busy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Bistro is one of the best places in Lexington, if not the best for dinner. But when they are busy, as on any weekend associated with WL or VMI, beware. They tend to take more reservation than they can handle, and the food suffers. SErvice is always excellent, and the owner is so attentive. Love the Bistro--but they need to recognize some limitation in capacity.