“Bad Service. Badly managed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro on Main

Bistro on Main
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Upscale Casual Dining in the Heart of Downtown Lexington, Virginia.Featuring local products with a Southern flair. Intimate, casual atmosphere. Serving Brunch, Lunch and Dinner. Also offers catering. Reservations Recommended!
“Bad Service. Badly managed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My girl friends and I stopped for lunch on our way through Lexington. The restaurant had a nice interior with beautiful local paintings and it was very quaint.

Then it all went down hill with the service. Our server introduced herself and her trainee. (Apparently 1 of her 2 trainees for the day). The server seemed frazzled and she carried herself with insecurity. It didn't help she had 2 trainees....never give a person 2 people to train... Ever.
I have owned my own restaurant for 25 years. Over those years I have seen it all and try really hard to give restaurants a chance especially servers. I understand better than anyone the headaches of good help. With that said I also have noticed that good service anywhere must begin at the top. There were 2 older woman mulling around the restaurant. 1 at the hostess stand and the other one who showed up just in time to process our check. Interesting....Neither of these woman which appeared to be owners or managers bothered to talk to our table or any table while we were there. The place was moderately busy and you would think the owners would be more involved in making sure the customers were taken care of. They also seemed very understaffed. Understaffing happens if it does the management helps. As a manger if you are short handed you get involved. You bus. You talk to the tables. You take alcohol orders etc. The owners need to get their butts on the floor and help out. It is an owners job to know when a server is overwhelmed. An owner/manager helps her staff. It is a team effort.
I will list the issues of our experience as they occurred. First they forgot my friends beer and we had to remind her. She then took our appetizer order and our main order at the same time. We chatted with the server about bringing a cup of soup as well but with the appetizer before the main meal. I repeated twice to please bring the app and soup first. She goes ,"of course I will bring your app and soup first." Well after waiting for a bit she brought all the food out together, apps, main meal, and soup...everything. It was all piled on the table at once. ( this means the server screwed up and punched in everything in the computer all at once. This is not a kitchen issue. ) I asked the server why the food all came out at once and why wasn't the app brought out first. She says, " oh, we always bring it all out together." No apology...nothing. I wasn't quite sure what to say. (I had visions of slapping her but I took the high ground.) My friend then asked for mayo and 1 more beer. The server forgot AGAIN and we had to ask AGAIN. Still no apology or eye contact. It was actually getting to be slap stick.
Now while all that was going on not once did the server act like she cared. Not once did she really interact with us or take blame for her lack of memory. Not once did the owner who was 8 feet from our table bother to sense we were not getting service or seem to care. They never asked if we wanted dessert. Never asked how we wanted the check. They just slapped the check on the table then acted annoyed when we wanted it split.
Too be honest it was the most unwelcoming experience I have had at a restaurant in a very long time.

Again I blame the owners. There were so many things wrong with how this place was ran.
I personally think the owner should find another line of work that doesn't involve serving people.

7 Thank bbqbilly

Palm Beach, Florida
“My favorite dinner spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

When in Lexington, Virginia, I always eat at least once at The Bistro on Main. Consistently excellent food and service and homemade beer bread!

1 Thank sailhorse
Springfield, Virginia
“Excellent food and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

A busy graduation night, but we were given a lovely table in the rear of the bar section. Probably one of the best venues for dinner in Lexington.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“What a delightful surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Son just graduated form VMI and looked over this place for 4 years to our loss. I have eaten in just about every place in town and have found this to be the best place. Fresh food, well done in presentaion and creative with simple ingredients to make a scruptous meal. And most important--delicious!! I travel to top five cites in the US frequently and think this place would stack up against any of the cafe's and Bistros I visit. What a nice treat.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank wallpa
MAHOPAC
“Great service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I really enjoyed my dinner at this restaurant. The staff was very friendly and the food was delicious.