“Don't get what the big deal is”
Review of Bistro on Main

Bistro on Main
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Upscale Casual Dining in the Heart of Downtown Lexington, Virginia.Featuring local products with a Southern flair. Intimate, casual atmosphere. Serving Brunch, Lunch and Dinner. Also offers catering. Reservations Recommended!
PA
“Don't get what the big deal is”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I have to say I was disappointed by my first time at this restaurant. I ordered filet which was so-so. It wasn't the worst nor was it the best. The dessert menu was very limited which was disappointing. The place is also super small so you feel cramped when you eat. I will try it again because I think every place deserves a second chance unless you get food poisoning. I will say that the crab cakes were pretty good.

Ellicott City, Maryland
“All-around Excellence”
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We were thrilled with our experience at The Bistro in Lexington! This up-scale restaurant is attractive and has a varied menu that includes outstanding seafood, beef, poultry, pasta, and pork dishes served with flair. Our waiter was professional and personable which only added to our outstanding dining experience. I had ahi tuna on a jasmine rice cake with Asian slaw that was excellent! Others in my party had salmon, and duck, cooked to perfection! Reservations are recommended, as the dining room is small. There is also a bar/lounge in an adjoining room that does have several tables, too.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Spending the night in Lexington on our way home from North Carolina we asked a few locals as to a good restaurant in town. The Bistro on Main was the recommendation from all and we decided to give it a shot. We called for reservations which turned out to not be needed as the two colleges in town are out for the summer. When we arrived we found the restaurant to be busy but not too crowded. We were greeted by an owner and seated at a very comfortable table. The menu was varied with a number of specials to include seafood which is what we liked to see. The prices were reasonable with an emphasis on value. The wine list was fine with a number of interesting wines at a very reasonable price. Our food was served very hot with a very pleasant presentation. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful during the meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definitely dine there again when we next visit Lexington.

Newark, New Jersey
“Great place to relax and grab a drink”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

I was passing by on my way to Florida and stayed in Lexington for a couple of days. This was one of the places that I was so pleased to have experienced. Really relaxing atmosphere and quaint. Staff and owners were really personable and well priced drinks....will be stopping by again on my way back!

1 Thank furio1
Virginia
“Hum drum, menu rarely changes, no chef here”
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Lexington SHOULD have find dining (and finally does thanks to the Red Hen). But for years this unbelievably quaint and historic town languished in mediocrity. It was painfully sad and us locals often headed for places on Metro on Campbell Ave in Roanoke for interesting food. If you've dined out in NYC or Los Angeles, this Bistro is not the place for you. And, it definitely is NOT a bistro by definition.

I've dined at this place probably 10 times until Red Hen opened. I was referred by locals after I moved to Lexington, and later learned these locals have rarely dined outside of this county.

The food is lackluster at best. The menu is prepared by a cook, not a trained chef. The food, barely creative, no layering of flavors. (Sometimes I wonder if these city "cooks" ever watch HGTV food shows). Grits has lots of butter and of course is ok because can anything with a lb of butter go wrong?

Menu is painfully stagnant and tends to be better at lunchtime if you really insist on going because to get the same exact fare at night for more money without any hint of creativity is painful. I can cook the same stuff better, so the last time I frequented The Bistro and got another lackluster dish, I swore I'd stay home.

Ambiance consists of tables/chairs only, no booths . Nice paintings/photos on the wall.

They have a nice location so they pick up lots of tourists who also wish for an average experience and probably don't care.