“Not worth the price”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lexington, VA
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This hotel is overpriced. This was our 4th hotel in a week and not only did it cost the most ($170 with discount, $187 total) but it was also the most run down. I have stayed at a number of Country Inn and Suites and had wonderful experiences. So, I chose this hotel over a couple of others because I expected the same high quality I had received at the other Country Inn and Suites and after a long day of travel I looked forward to unpacking and letting the kids take a dip in the pool. I was disappointed. The light in the hotel room was dim, but I could still see the stains on the floor and the couch. The pool was cold and cloudy. My kids were thrilled to find surprise toys at the bottom, but quickly lost them and they could not find them through the cloudiness. The pool was only 4 feet deep. The water in the hot tub was hot, but the pool floor and area around the hot tub seemed dated and did not have a clean feel. This was only made worse when I went to put on my cover up and a large beetle was sitting on top of it. There were also no pool towels available, luckily another guest noticed this since we were already in the pool when we realized the towels were all dirty. On a good note, the staff was friendly and the lady at the front desk was very nice. The bathroom in the hotel room seemed clean, the bed was comfortable and the work out area was nice. Breakfast was average at best. My husband is in the military and we travel frequently. When I pay $170 +tax for a room (again this was a discounted price) I expect a lot more than what we received. My advice would be to stop at one of the motels along the way. You will get the same quality of service for half the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NicoleSue
cx_lxva, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lexington, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I recently reserved a block of rooms here for a group of military personnel for two nights while coordinating training nearby. The sales manager was accommodating and the staff was courteous and tolerant of our last-minute changes. The breakfast area was rather small and could potentially get a little crowded if the hotel was booked to capacity. The hotel was easily accessible, situated near Interstate 81 but only a couple of minutes driving distance to downtown Lexington. There are a couple of options for dining either next door or across the street (Subway, Dairy Queen, Applebees).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank raj0302
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Because of a horse show in Salem (all hotels seemed to be booked) we decided to drive to Lexington on out trip to Washington DC. There was a bicycle event so we tried some hotel which were all full. Demotivated and a bit cranky we entered the Country Inn pretty late and loved the lobby with fire place immediately. The woman at the counter was very friendly and understanding and still had a room! We payed a bit (not much) extra for a jacuzzi room which bubbled all our sorrows right out of us.

Room Tip: the jacuzzi was very nice and affordable for a weekend night during a special event!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie R

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is my second stay at the Lexington Country inn for another timber framing project, this time at the Habitat for Humanity site in Lexington.

Carlson Inns are my favorite place to stay and this one is great with their home style atmosphere, friendly staff, great location and wonderful breakfast included in the price.

April is a busy time of year in this area and I did not book soon enough. When I tried to book online all standard rooms were sold out so I decided to call and after Googling found a 1 800 number and thought I was talking to Carlson and booked the only option given which was a king suite for $175 per night. After booking with a credit card and receiving a confirmation email I was surprised to see it was hotel.now. On arrival at the hotel I found I could have only booked the king for one night and then the other four at the regular price of $100 per night with considerable savings but as I was prepaid could not change. Call your local Carlson and they will give you their 1 800 number and many more options.

The room is well laid out with separate sitting and bedroom with the bathroom in between. The heating/ air conditioning is located in a closet and very quiet. Each area has a large digital TV.

I ask for a room facing the back as the highway is close and can be busy if you face the front. It is very close to restaurants, gas, and a monster Wallmart. It is about ten minute drive to downtown Lexington and VMI.

I was surprised, after turning all the lights on, that the carpet in my third floor room was quite old and badly stained in many areas.

I was also not impressed, per my last report, to find that the cups and glasses were still PAPER. Coming from Ontario. Canada where they are glass. I was also disappointed that at 6 am on a Monday morning the daily papers were all taken. There are not papers delivered to rooms.

Wireless Internet is excellent and free. I believe they also have a computer with keyboard in the lobby for customer use.

Room Tip: Facing the back is away from the road
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Surprising this small town has a larger number excellent local non-franchise restaurants than one might expect. Give the ease of access of this motel to the two Interstates, to the Virginia Horse Center and the two universities, it is quite an excellent destination for for a two or three night stay.

Room Tip: The backside is especially quite!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a team that I coach, so it was a large booking. Sara, the hotel manager was terrific. All the staff were very helpful and kind, despite being overrun by 25 young men. Rooms were comfortable and everything worked well. Hot tub was a big hit with the boys. The breakfast was very nice also. The hotel is well situated, with a 7-Eleven and Subway right next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2013

All of the comfort, convenience and excellent service this chain is known for. Great breakfast. Only one caution: the front of the building is very close to the busy street. If traffic/auto noise bothers you, you might want to request a room on the opposite "back" side of the facility.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo