“Clean and Comfortable”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lexington, VA
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We have stayed here about once every year for the last eight years. At first it was with kids for their state horse competition, now it is just when we are traveling through.

On our most recent Saturday night stay, we were not disappointed. Our 4th floor room was clean, large, well-appointed (good reading light, consistent wi-fi, comfy king-sized bed with nice linens and pillows, upholstered chair with ottoman, good desk chair, 'fridge and microwave). Our door was difficult to close from the outside, and we had to slam it.

There is a pay washer and dryer available. We have always found the staff to be pleasant and accomodating, even opening up the breakfast area early for our horse-tending kids.

We did not use the pool, but have noted it is in a small interior area. More utilitarian than for relaxing beside it.

The more-than-continental breakfast has a lot of variety, including self-serve waffle irons (didn't care for the sweet flavor of the waffle batter myself, however). They had three kinds of syrup (just don't be looking for the real Maple kind, darn it), and even several flavorings to add to milk. Sausage gravy and biscuits for those who partake. Most of the usual offerings, also. I do wish more fruit than Delicious apples and bananas would be available, though.

Located on Lee Highway beside I-64 about a mile from the intersection with I-81, it is convenient to anything around Lexington.

On our most recent visit we used one of those hotel coupon tabloids and saved a significant amount on the room. During big college and Horse Center weekends, I am sure such a rate would not be available. The AAA rate quoted to us was quite high, I thought.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 December 2009

We stopped overnight in the middle of a long drive, and traffic was crawling due to a major snowstorm. We felt lucky to get a room. Overall, we were pleased we had a decent place to stay, but the room was really just satisfactory - a little worn, shabby. Also not the cleanest place. Breakfast was all right, but nothing special, and not as good as we've seen in other places. When will these roadside hotels stop using so much styrofoam and plastic?!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tourismspecialist88
cx_lxva, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lexington, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2010

During this snowstorm that stalled travel, our employees could not get in either. With just the few that had stayed here because of no travel, we tried our best to priortize the needs of our guests and accomodate. Unlike some of the competition, WE did NOT raise the rates due to high occupancy like some others. Those stranded had enough problems. In reference to shabby, all of the rooms had underwent complete renovation with exception of new microwave, refrigerator, and flat screen tv. Breakfast served at that time was above corporate requirements. Due to lweather related lack of deliveries, all products not available and we utilized what was available.
Tom West-General Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2009

The location of this hotel makes it easy to get to the Virginia Horse Center, Natural Bridge and downtown Lexington.
Our room was spacious, clean and the bed was very good. We had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot but you could get coffee, tea, or hot chocolate any time by going to the breakfast area.
We have stayed at Country Inn & Suites many times and I have always found the accommodations to be excellent.
My only objection to the hotel was the price. This was Washington & Lee College parents weekend, a football game at VMI, and a competition at the Virginia Horse Center so the price of the room was triple the cost of the normal rate.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Efficient, clean hotel close to downtown. Across the street from Dairy Queen-a plus for the kids. Indoor pool was small and sufficient, breakfest was more than enough for anyone. Service was excellent. Best Beds of our trip! Worth it to visit the Safari Animal Park down the road-be prepared to laugh-a lot (the pee in your pants type laughing-i mean)!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stayed on the 2nd floor. The door to the room had to be pushed really hard for the latch to grab. Apparently many doors are this way on the 2nd floor as most people are slamming the doors to get them to close. So, be ready to be an early riser.

The advertisements say this place was recently renovated... I've not seen where on the 1st and 2nd floors as the place shows some age.

I expected a little more for the accommodations given this is a CIS.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

When problems with locks occur, once reported to maintenance, the door jamb is usually in need of adjustment. Slamming of the doors causes mechanism to fall out of alignment. Also low battery power will cause malfunction and when reported, batteries replaced cures problem, but we need to be notified when there is a problem. Most slamming of doors is usually inconsideration of others, especially kids not monitored by parents.
Tom West-General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed in a king suite for three nights. The hotel appearance was very clean. Our room was spacious. The suite had a seperate bedroom with a tv, a sitting area with a couch desk and chair and a tv, there was also a frig and microwave. The internet connection was fast which my husband apreciated as well as the extra outlets on the desk. The bed was comfy and the sheets were soft and extra pillows and a blanket were in the room. The airconditioning did a good job of keeping the room cool when 95 degrees outside. I filled out an e-mail survey sent to me by the Country In and Suites chain after my stay. I had a few coments about my stay. The next day I received a personal e-amail response by the General Manger. It was nice to see that they look at the reveiws and were concerned with what we thought about our stay. This was way beyond anything that I have ever received from a hotel before. I will stay again!!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2009

This was my first stay at this hotel chain. I paid $69.95 for one night with the roomsavers.com rate. Definately worth it. We had a very large room with two queen beds, frige, microwave, large tv and nice size bathroom. Beds and bedding were very comfy. The only complaint I had was that they had feather pillows, which I find very uncomfortable.

It is right off I-81/I-64. There is a family dinner across the street. The food was good and the prices were very reasonable. There is a dairy queen and gas station across the street also with a gas station/convenience store next door to the hotel.

The hotel had a business center with one computer for guests use as well as a large indoor heated pool and spa and a small fitness center. The free breakfast consisted of waffles, biscuts & gravy, bagels, cereals, donuts, etc.

I usually stay at Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express. I will defiantely be adding Country Inn & Suites to my list. I also like that there is a hardwood staircase in the lobby leading to the second floor. It gives the hotel the feel of a "Country Inn". Nice touch!

• Stayed: June 2009