“Cheap and clean”

Econo Lodge
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
“Cheap and clean”
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This hotel is cheap and clean. Allows pets for $10.00 extra per pet. Owners are very friendly and nice local resturant next door. Easy to get to using bypass 11 outside of downtown Lexington. Only 5 minutes to center of Lexington. This is the place to stay if you are only interested in a place to sleep, nothing fancy just the basics.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I'm not sure if it was the moldy carpet from 1978, the stains on the ceiling or the fake wood paneling but I would recommend sleeping in your car before staying at this motel. The only reason I stayed is there was a W&L reunion weekend and it was the only hotel available. Did I mention the bed bug bite..?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank mef23

Travellers are raving about these Lexington hotels

nyc
Reviewed 21 December 2009

OMG! The room had a king size bed with stains on the sheets to match. Also, I was scared to death to touch the faucets in the bathroom or take a shower. My husband and I were too tired to go argue for our money back . The clerk at the front desk barely spoke English. We should have just left right then and there when we saw the poor condtion of the check in area. Also, we were told there would be a free breakfast at 8am? People traveling leave much earlier then that. Anyway, probably would have got food poisoning if we dared to stay long enough for breakfast. OH ! and the walls were so thin I could hear the man in the room next to us snoring way louder then my hubby, needless to say I didnt get much sleep.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pikesterz
North Carolina
Reviewed 7 March 2009

I was traveling to Lexington from Charlotte NC so that my son could attend a campus visit to a college in that area. I guess that as soon as I pulled up in front of the motel I shold have kept on going. I actually considered it but it was after six PM and I had not cancelled my reservation therefore I would be paying for the room regardless. THe building is obviously old and run down. My first thought was that if it looked that bad outside it must be terrible on the inside.

The office was dim and while not obvious, it has an unclean feel to it. The guy who runs obviously lives there as he was dressed as if he had just woke up from bed to come to the front desk. Before I even mentioned that I had a reservation, he asked me if I was paying cash which really struck me as odd. Then I noticed a handwritten note on the counter that was intended to be seen by all who entered that he had rooms that he would rent by the hour and that he only accepted cash for those rooms.

we got into our room and the musty smell was overwhelming. at one point, there had been a leak in the ceiling and most of the tiles were discolored and sagging. I went to the bathroom and at first glanced I noticed a thick line of mold that ran the length of the shower. ( see the attached picture).

At this point I immediately went back to the front desk and asked for refund as I would be checking out. I was informed there was a no refund policy.

I set up the ironing board but the legs were bent and the board would not stand on its own. I had to support the board with one hand while trying to iron a shirt. Just about the time I wondered what else could possibly be wrong, the iron started leaking all over my shirt that i was attempting to iron.

The heat worked intermittently so that was a plus. There was no soap or shampoo provided with room.

If you are reading this, please consider that less than two miles from the loaction of this hotel, is the Days Inn that charged the same rates and in comparison, it offers a 5 star ratined experience.

In the internet ad for this hotel the following ammenaties are offered

Breakfast available (surcharge)
Business services
Restaurant(s) in hotel
Smoke-free property
Fitness Center or Spa
Modem Lines in Room
24 Hour Front Desk
Fitness room

This items listed above are truly FALSE advertising.

There is no breakfast available. He offers a continental breakfast but in truth it is donuts and muffins that are prepackaged and he sells them at for a 1.50 a piece. There is no business center or services offered.All rooms are smoking rooms because I asked for a non smoking and was informed that you can smoke in all rooms.

There is no fitness center. But, you will get plenty of exercise cleaning your own room prior to occupying it. There are no modem lines or highspeed internet available. The front desk is not manned 24 hours as advertised. If you need something after 10 PM you have to call him in his room.

The Red Carpet Inns have name recognition and one would think that as a ' Chain' Operated motel, there would be some sort of standard that should be maintained. But that is definitely not the case with the RC Inn in Lexington Virginia.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank ronda2264
connecticut
Reviewed 29 August 2006

Red Carpet Inn in Lexington, VA is a nasty place. The lobby was dated and the furniture worn and dirty. I did not choose this motel and would never stay in such place. I was in Lexington dropping a family member off for her first year of college. Her parents had booked the motel ahead of time so they had no choice but to proceed. When I entered the room spider webs hit me across my face and legs. The room was dingy, musty and damp and the bathroom very old and in need of serious rennovating. Also the carpet was dirty. My family and I looked at each other and we concluded that it was time to leave and get our money back. Well, the woman at the desk concluded that we were the ones with the problem and that we could not get our money back. I was not there to argue with her so since she was insistent that she could not make a decision to return our money we decided to leave and proceed to a nice hotel within 5 miles away and on the main road with all of the other hotels in the area. Please do yourself a favor if you are in Lexington and pay a few more dollars to stay in a cleaner hotel/motel/inn and get all of the ammenities that come with such. The Lexington Red Carpet Inn room did not have a refrig or microwave. In summary, a very bad experience after driving over 10 hours to get there. And what ever happened to good customer service?

bosmiling44@yahoo.com

• Liked — Nothing - The place was nasty.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay at the Red Carpet Inn in Lexington, VA. There are clean hotels within 5 miles.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank bosmiling
Lancaster County, PA
Reviewed 15 August 2006

My husband and I checked into the Red Carpet Inn at Lexington VA because we were very tired having driven from Pennsylvania and on our way to Tennessee. That was the wrong decision.

Upon opening the door of Room 101, I quickly noticed the grimy carpet with some loose dirt that should have been vacuumed up. The room was musty and stale smelling. The bathroom was old (kind of rundown) and could have been cleaner.

The clincher was when I turned down the covers of one of the two double beds to find dried blood that had dripped down the side of the exposed boxspring. I went to the other side of the bed to find the mattress pad not tucked under the mattress and showing the remnants of yellow feces or vomit.

I started to cry, and needless to say, my husband and I packed up the car, and got our money back. No apology was given to us by the woman in the office. She simply counted out our money, and we were on our way.

While we were packing up the car, a family consisting of three adults, two children, and two large black Labrador Retrievers was moving into the room next to 101. Two large dogs! I couldn't believe it.

Never again will we stay at any Red Carpet Inn.

The Geibs
parrlamp@aol.com

• Liked — I can't think of anything
  • Disliked — Dirty, blood stained, smelly
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stop here even if you are tired!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Geibs
Urbana-Champaign, IL
Reviewed 24 April 2005

I went to the Red Carpet Inn in Lexington, VA because it was the cheapest lodging served by the shuttle busses for a conference I was participating in. Thus, I wasn't expecting the Taj Mahal, and I didn't get one. However, I would certainly stay at the Red Carpet Inn again anytime I return to Lexington.

The office is very old-fashioned, but the attendants are friendly.

Every hotel room had a private entrance. The rooms are kept up well, but the construction is a bit shoddy. To place a Kleenex box in the bathroom, they cut a rough hole in the tile and stuck a holder in.

My room had two double beds. The linens were clean and freshly folded each morning. The room included an iron and ironing board, and a hairdryer. The bathroom was clean, although I did hear a report from another conference goer that their's was dirty upon arrival. I don't know anything more about this, sounds like a fluke. Every feature of the room worked, and the shower got as hot as you wanted it to! (Some hotels seem to limit this now)

My room did not smell like smoke (it's a non-smoking room) but it did have a musty smell and the suspended ceiling was looking a little saggy. The musty smell seemed to come from the air conditioning unit, because it went away when we turned that off. One final issue is that the room was missing its security chain. The mount was still there, but the chain had apparently been ripped off.

It would have been nice to have high-speed internet available, but since this hotel still uses a massive phone-switching system with red LED displays, so you need to wait 3 seconds before making a local call, it'll probably take them awhile to get around to this.

The Red Carpet Inn is a nice place to crash, but don't think you're going to a Hilton! If you're thinking of them, check out bookroomsnow, they offer a 10% discount card. I didn't get mine in time, so I can't say whether it actually is accepted or not.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business